How to do a basic loop in SQL

• Hi all,
    I have a need to read every record in a table and compare a name in that table to another name.
    In Access VBA, I would loop through each record in a table to read the name.
    It's very simple:
    Dim i as long ' declaration
    Dim mystring as string ' declaration
    Dim recordset as DAO.recordset
    Set recordset = currentdb.openrecordset("MyTable", dbOpenSnapshot)
    recordset.movefirst
    For i = 1 to recordset.recordcount
         mystring = recordset![FeildName]
         recordset.movenext
    Next i

This is a very simplistic way to do it, but that's generally it.  So how can I do this exact same thing in SQL server?
    Can somebody offer some easy to understand advice about how to best loop through each record.
    Also, complete SQL noob here.
    Cheers

• barry.nielson - Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:55 PM

Hi all,
    I have a need to read every record in a table and compare a name in that table to another name.
    In Access VBA, I would loop through each record in a table to read the name.
    It's very simple:
    Dim i as long ' declaration
    Dim mystring as string ' declaration
    Dim recordset as DAO.recordset
    Set recordset = currentdb.openrecordset("MyTable", dbOpenSnapshot)
    recordset.movefirst
    For i = 1 to recordset.recordcount
         mystring = recordset![FeildName]
         recordset.movenext
    Next i

This is a very simplistic way to do it, but that's generally it.  So how can I do this exact same thing in SQL server?
    Can somebody offer some easy to understand advice about how to best loop through each record.
    Also, complete SQL noob here.
    Cheers

When moving to SQL from VBA or any other procedural language, you need to learn to think in sets.  If I read the code above correctly you are looping through a record set (perhaps a result set from SQL) selecting a specific column.  In SQL you would simply do this:

SELECT
        YourColumn
    FROM
        dbo.YourTable;

• Thanks Lynn,
    I understand this is how to select a column.  I'm interested in learn how to incrementally select each record in that column... that is, to return the value contained in that column.

Now further to this query, I have found the following and modified it slightly

-- Get the number of rows in the looping table
    DECLARE @RowCount INT
    SET @RowCount = (SELECT COUNT ([Field Name]) FROM MyTable)
    -- Declare an iterator
    DECLARE @I INT
    -- Initialize the iterator
    SET @I = 1
    -- Loop through the rows of a table @myTable
    WHILE (@I <= @RowCount)
    BEGIN
    -- Declare variables to hold the data which we get after looping each record
    DECLARE @iUserName VARCHAR(255)
    -- Get the data from table and set to variables
    SELECT @iUserName = [Field Name] FROM MyTable Where @I = ???? --limit of my understanding
    -- Display the looped data
    PRINT 'Row No = ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(2), @I) + ' - UserName = ' + @iUserName
    -- Increment the iterator
    SET @I = @I + 1
    END

Now this is not quite there yet, because I don't know how to count the row number I am currently reading. It feel like the right direction, unless somebody recognise my error and can steer me off the rocks.

• barry.nielson - Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:45 PM

Thanks Lynn,
    I understand this is how to select a column.  I'm interested in learn how to incrementally select each record in that column... that is, to return the value contained in that column.

DECLARE @RowCount INT
    -- Declare an iterator
    DECLARE @I INT
    SET @I = 1
    WHILE (@I <= @RowCount)
    BEGIN
    SELECT @iUserName = [Field Name] FROM MyTable Where @I = ???? --limit of my understanding
    SET @I = @I + 1
    END

Now this is not quite there yet, because I don't know how to count the row number I am currently reading. It feel like the right direction, unless somebody recognise my error and can steer me off the rocks.

Big question, why?  SQL Server isn't an interactive system.

• It's part of a wider series of functions. 
    I have a table which produces around 10 records, each is a mispelt name.  I need to compare each of these name with a larger customer name list, and in that comparison return a correct spelling that appears to match to within  90% or so.  Now I have the function that does this check.  What I don't have is a way to read the larger table and compare a spelling against each customer name from my list of misspelt names.

So maybe I'm going the wrong way about it, but my philosophy is to make it work before I make it pretty.

• Thank you pietlinden, but in both of those examples, you are required to provide a SourceString and a TargetString.  The point of my requirement was to collect a target string from a table by iterating through it, such that it could be fed into an algorithm such as these.

I eventually discovered this following code, which is fast and functions. I don't claim to understand every line as I do VBA, but I get the general idea.

--Cursor Method. Iterate through each record and return the required record info.
    DECLARE @CurrentName [nvarchar](255), @ReturnedClient [nvarchar](255)
    DECLARE @CurrentID INT, @iCurrentValue INT, @iHighestValue INT
    DECLARE CurName CURSOR FAST_FORWARD READ_ONLY
    FOR
    SELECT [ID], [Field Name]
    FROM  DBO.MyTable
    OPEN CurName
    FETCH NEXT FROM CurName INTO @CurrentID, @CurrentName
    WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
    BEGIN
         --Print an Integer and a string on the same line
        Print Cast(@CurrentID as Varchar) + ' - ' + ( @CurrentName) 
        -- Match the Current name against a requested name, by feeding into LevenshteinDistance algorithm.
       --Move to next record
      FETCH NEXT FROM CurName INTO @CurrentID, @CurrentName
    END
    CLOSE CurName
    DEALLOCATE CurName

• Just remember that cursor code is RBAR (Row By Agonizing Row) and will not scale as well as well written set-base code.

• Thanks for the warning Lynn.
    As I said, I want it to work before I make it pretty.  So far, I have not found a method that does what I need, and despite it's flaws it does what I need to to do.
    I have so far not found a method by which I can compare an entire column or set against a single variable.  if you know of one, please let me know.  
    Thanks again for your input and comments.
    Cheers

• In a nutshell, you're trying to do a fuzzy match between two columns of data? What version of SQL 2008 are you using? (I think fuzzy lookups in SSIS are enterprise-only, but MS keeps moving stuff around!)

Maybe these will help:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/ae08d4d8-fb25-48d2-97c7-168d0caff428/matching-similar-sounding-names-in-sql-server?forum=transactsql
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Fuzzy+Match/92822/

Yeah, I know one is by Lynn's favorite guy on the Internet... <ducking>

• barry.nielson - Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:04 PM

It's part of a wider series of functions. 
    I have a table which produces around 10 records, each is a mispelt name.  I need to compare each of these name with a larger customer name list, and in that comparison return a correct spelling that appears to match to within  90% or so.  Now I have the function that does this check.  What I don't have is a way to read the larger table and compare a spelling against each customer name from my list of misspelt names.

So maybe I'm going the wrong way about it, but my philosophy is to make it work before I make it pretty.

You could try something like this ...

If your function is a Table Valued Function SELECT src.[ID], src.[Field Name], fn.[Answer]
    FROM dbo.MyTable AS src
    CROSS APPLY dbo.YourLookupFunction(src.[Field Name]) AS fn;

If your function is a Scalar Function SELECT src.[ID], src.[Field Name]
      , dbo.YourLookupFunction(src.[Field Name]) AS [Answer]
    FROM dbo.MyTable AS src;

• barry.nielson - Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:25 PM

Thanks for the warning Lynn.
    As I said, I want it to work before I make it pretty.  So far, I have not found a method that does what I need, and despite it's flaws it does what I need to to do.
    I have so far not found a method by which I can compare an entire column or set against a single variable.  if you know of one, please let me know.  
    Thanks again for your input and comments.
    Cheers

Only way to really help is for you to post the DDL (CREATE TABLE statement) for each of the table(s) involved, sample data (not production data) as INSERT statements (look at using Table Value Constructors, not individual or unioned inserts), and the expected results based on the sample data provided.

• barry.nielson - Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:45 PM

Thanks Lynn,

DECLARE @RowCount INT
    -- Declare an iterator
    DECLARE @I INT
    SET @I = 1
    WHILE (@I <= @RowCount)
    BEGIN
    SET @I = @I + 1
    END

Hey Barry I modified your query. I hope that helps with your original question re:how to incrementally select each record in that column

DECLARE @mytable Table(id int identity, fname varchar(100))
    INSERT @mytable
    SELECT [Field Name]
        FROM
         (
      VALUES
      ('Alex'), ('Bob'), ('Chris'), ('Diana'), ('Eve'), ('Frank'), ('George'), ('Harry'), ('Ian'), ('Jane')
         ) AS T1([Field Name])
    /*YOU MAY SELECT THE NAMES FROM YOUR TABLE BELOW
    JUST COMMENT OUT THE PREVIOUS SELECT STATEMENT ABOVE THAT IS JUST FOR ILLUSTRATION
    */
    --SELECT [Field Name] FROM MyTable
    select * from @mytable

DECLARE @RowCount INT
    --SET @RowCount = (SELECT COUNT ([Field Name]) FROM @MyTable)
    SET @RowCount = (SELECT COUNT (*) FROM @mytable)
    -- Declare an iterator
    DECLARE @I INT
    SET @I = 1
    WHILE (@I <= @RowCount)
    BEGIN
    --SELECT @iUserName = [Field Name] FROM MyTable Where @I = ???? --limit of my understanding
    SELECT @iUserName = fname FROM @mytable Where @I = id --limit of my understanding (**you need an identity field to iterate through***)
    SELECT 'Row No = ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(2), @I) + ' - UserName = ' + @iUserName
    SET @I = @I + 1
    END

• barry.nielson - Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:55 PM

SQL is not a procedural language; it's declarative. That means we don't have loops, we don't have if-then-else or any other control flow statements. You have to get out of SQL, use a cursor and convert the table into a file. A file has records, which are nothing whatsoever like the rows in a table. Basically, what you're asking is how do we alphabetize Chinese. The concept doesn't exist in the language you're using. And it's not a matter of making it pretty; your whole mindset is completely wrong. You're the flat Earth kid in an astronomy class 🙁

From your narrative, I wouldn't do this at all in SQL. I'd buy a mailing list scrubbing package, like Melissa Data, and not reinvent the wheel (badly reinvent).

Please post DDL and follow ANSI/ISO standards when asking for help. 

• jcelko212 32090 - Wednesday, October 24, 2018 2:15 PM

barry.nielson - Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:55 PM

SQL is not a procedural language; it's declarative. That means we don't have loops, we don't have if-then-else or any other control flow statements. You have to get out of SQL, use a cursor and convert the table into a file. A file has records, which are nothing whatsoever like the rows in a table. Basically, what you're asking is how do we alphabetize Chinese. The concept doesn't exist in the language you're using. And it's not a matter of making it pretty; your whole mindset is completely wrong. You're the flat Earth kid in an astronomy class 🙁

From your narrative, I wouldn't do this at all in SQL. I'd buy a mailing list scrubbing package, like Melissa Data, and not reinvent the wheel (badly reinvent).

While I agree with most of what you said, why do you almost always have to resort to ad hominem attacks and passive aggressive school boy snips?  And, no... that's a rhetorical couple of questions.  I've heard your answer to those questions before and they also need serious improvement in the mentor area. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply