How else can I view last queries run by anyone on an instance of SQL Server or a particular DB

• Is there a way / TSQL to see  last <N> queries run by anyone on an instance of SQL Server or a particular DB that does not require VIEW SERVER STATE permissions?
    When I run something like the below statement, I get  "VIEW SERVER STATE permission was denied on object 'server', database 'master'. " error. It would take too long (weeks..)
    to request and get such permissions in our shop but I need (preferably) to see who is running what today and tomorrow.
    When I try to use Profiler, I get 'ALTER TRACE' permission denied error.  Same thing, it would take way to long to obtain this permission as well. Is there any other way?

Thank you!

SELECT  txt.TEXT AS [SQL Statement],   qs.EXECUTION_COUNT [No. Times Executed],
      qs.LAST_EXECUTION_TIME AS [Last Time Executed],   DB_NAME(txt.dbid) AS [Database]
    FROM  SYS.DM_EXEC_QUERY_STATS AS qs  CROSS APPLY SYS.DM_EXEC_SQL_TEXT(qs.SQL_HANDLE) AS txt
    WHERE  txt.dbid = DB_ID('WideWorldImporters')
    ORDER BY qs.LAST_EXECUTION_TIME DESC

Likes to play Chess

• As far as I know you would need to set up some sort of activity collection that logs to a table. But even then, you might miss some things if the query is ran in between activity collection.

• VoldemarG - Tuesday, October 2, 2018 7:35 AM

Is there a way / TSQL to see  last <N> queries run by anyone on an instance of SQL Server or a particular DB that does not require VIEW SERVER STATE permissions?
    When I run something like the below statement, I get  "VIEW SERVER STATE permission was denied on object 'server', database 'master'. " error. It would take too long (weeks..)
    to request and get such permissions in our shop but I need (preferably) to see who is running what today and tomorrow.
    When I try to use Profiler, I get 'ALTER TRACE' permission denied error.  Same thing, it would take way to long to obtain this permission as well. Is there any other way?

Thank you!

qs.LAST_EXECUTION_TIME AS [Last Time Executed],   DB_NAME(txt.dbid) AS [Database]
    FROM  SYS.DM_EXEC_QUERY_STATS AS qs  CROSS APPLY SYS.DM_EXEC_SQL_TEXT(qs.SQL_HANDLE) AS txt

I'm curious.  Why do you need to know such a thing?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Here is the query to find all the queries in SQL Server
    SELECT dest.TEXT AS [Query],
    deqs.execution_count [Count],
    deqs.last_execution_time AS [Time]
    FROM sys.dm_exec_query_stats AS deqs
    CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(deqs.sql_handle) AS dest
    ORDER BY deqs.last_execution_time DESC
    But the problem is there is no such guarantee that it will be accurate. It will do only the basic diagnosis of the system. Other option is to use SysTools SQL Log Analyser. The tool provides you the query detail according to the transaction name, time, date.  

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:13 PM

VoldemarG - Tuesday, October 2, 2018 7:35 AM

Is there a way / TSQL to see  last <N> queries run by anyone on an instance of SQL Server or a particular DB that does not require VIEW SERVER STATE permissions?

Thank you!

I'm curious.  Why do you need to know such a thing?

BTW, I'm not asking the question above to trivialize your question in any manner.  There are many different ways to do such a thing but they all have different capabilities and levels of obnoxiousness.  Knowing the reason why you're looking for such information will help people decide which method would be better served to help you accomplish what you need.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Johnson Welch - Tuesday, October 9, 2018 11:33 PM

Here is the query to find all the queries in SQL Server
    SELECT dest.TEXT AS [Query],
    deqs.execution_count [Count],
    deqs.last_execution_time AS [Time]
    FROM sys.dm_exec_query_stats AS deqs
    CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(deqs.sql_handle) AS dest
    ORDER BY deqs.last_execution_time DESC
    But the problem is there is no such guarantee that it will be accurate. It will do only the basic diagnosis of the system. Other option is to use SysTools SQL Log Analyser. The tool provides you the query detail according to the transaction name, time, date.  

The reason is simply to know what team members are working and which r not 🙂

Likes to play Chess

• VoldemarG - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 7:51 AM

Well, VIEW SERVER STATE or not, that query isn't going to tell you who executed what statement.  Or does the smiley face indicate that your comment was somewhat facetious?  I wouldn't want to work for an organisation where my productivity were measured in that way.  You could try SQL Audit or Extended Events if you're determined to go through with it.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:02 AM

VoldemarG - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 7:51 AM

Well, VIEW SERVER STATE or not, that query isn't going to tell you who executed what statement.  Or does the smiley face indicate that your comment was somewhat facetious?  I wouldn't want to work for an organisation where my productivity were measured in that way.  You could try SQL Audit or Extended Events if you're determined to go through with it.

John

Well, another reson is that when server gets slow and resources overconsumed, i want to know which query RUN BY WHOM could ve caused it last 30 or 60 minutes. So i can reach out to that person and see if i can kill his spid or not.

Likes to play Chess

• If the spid is in a killable state you can see whose it is anyway.

• VoldemarG - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:29 AM

Well, another reson is that when server gets slow and resources overconsumed, i want to know which query RUN BY WHOM could ve caused it last 30 or 60 minutes. So i can reach out to that person and see if i can kill his spid or not.

A noble ambition, but a query that returns SQL statement, number of executions, time executed and database isn't going to realise that.  And such data won't be added to the plan cache until the offending query has completed, so it won't work for current activity: for that you'd have to go with Beatrix's suggestion and use sp_who2, sp_whoisactive or something like that.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:37 AM

VoldemarG - Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:29 AM

A noble ambition, but a query that returns SQL statement, number of executions, time executed and database isn't going to realise that.  And such data won't be added to the plan cache until the offending query has completed, so it won't work for current activity: for that you'd have to go with Beatrix's suggestion and use sp_who2, sp_whoisactive or something like that.

John

Well.. theres always the SP_WHOISACTIVE by Adam Mechanic....

Likes to play Chess

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply