How do you vulgarize a DBA's job?

• I say I work with computers, or maybe software. No need to go into more detail unless someone actually knows something about them and asks a more detailed question.

• Today I was asked what I do for a living and I responded with the absolute truth - "other duties as assigned" :smooooth:

• Ninja's_RGR'us (4/29/2011)

Ian-440692 (4/29/2011)

I tried saying I worked with computers, but had so many requests to fix printers or help set up wireless networks that I changed and now I say I am a taxi driver. Nobody ever asks me for a free lift to the airport! why is that?

Drug dealer ends the conversation even faster... I never tried it but that guy from the 4 hour work week did and it seems to do the trick for him! Tim Ferris iirc.

IT and the Illegal Drug Trade are the only businesses that call customers "users."

(Pretty sure I read that somewhere here on SSC.)

• I explain being a Data Architect like this:

If we were building a house, I would design, dig and pour the foundation.

Once my work is done, then everyone else comes in a builds the house on top.

You won’t really see what I do, but is it vital to keep the house standing.

I have to think like an Architect and then pick up a shovel and dig the dirt.

• I don't like telling anyone what I do, because they always want me to fix a virus or help them load their stuff off of their old computer onto their new computer. When I tell them what I charge an hour, they usually mutter to themselves, "what a jerk, wouldn't even help me out"

Ed Watson aka SQLGator
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Follow me on Twitter!
    Go Gators!

• Ed.Watson (8/3/2011)

I don't like telling anyone what I do, because they always want me to fix a virus or help them load their stuff off of their old computer onto their new computer. When I tell them what I charge an hour, they usually mutter to themselves, "what a jerk, wouldn't even help me out"

what YOU charge an hour, or what your boss changes for one hour of your time?

Lol

• Depends if I want to make some side money or if I really don't care.

Ed Watson aka SQLGator
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Follow me on Twitter!
    Go Gators!

• I used to say "I play with computers"; it usually stopped there, but if someone asked what that meant the answer "can't tell you, it's confidential" worked.

Tom

• I tell them that I work in the circus...

...remember the elephant in the ring

...remember the guy walking behind the elephant

... thats me ..with the scoop....:-D

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply