How do you vulgarize a DBA's job?

• Brandie Tarvin (5/5/2011)

Most people I meet assume DBA means "Doing Business As" and invariably ask "Doing business as what?"

I'm going to start responding with "A janitor for programmers."

Honestly, with all the bad data that gets passed to our systems, doesn't it feel like we're exactly that?

I'm a programmer... so is Gail.

"Grant"ed we don't work for you :w00t:.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (5/5/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (5/5/2011)

Most people I meet assume DBA means "Doing Business As" and invariably ask "Doing business as what?"

I'm going to start responding with "A janitor for programmers."

Honestly, with all the bad data that gets passed to our systems, doesn't it feel like we're exactly that?

I'm a programmer... so is Gail.

"Grant"ed we don't work for you :w00t:.

Heh. I'm glad you didn't take insult at that. @=) But people wouldn't understand "A janitor for users."

Oh, wait. Even better: "A janitor for data entry clerks." (Given that I used to be one, I can definitely get away with that.)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Warehouse manager/computer logistics: keeping the computerprograms supplied with data.

• Grant Fritchey (4/29/2011)

I just talk about the information on a form, like a drivers license. It all gets stored somewhere and I'm the guy that manages the stuff that does the storing.

You work at the DMV, then? That's the response I got from someone when I used a similar explanation. 😀

• OCTom (5/5/2011)

Grant Fritchey (4/29/2011)

I just talk about the information on a form, like a drivers license. It all gets stored somewhere and I'm the guy that manages the stuff that does the storing.

You work at the DMV, then? That's the response I got from someone when I used a similar explanation. 😀

Well you do! :hehe:

• By "vulgarize" I thought you meant something completely different...

"DBAs do it from the back end"?

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (5/6/2011)

By "vulgarize" I thought you meant something completely different...

We need buttons!!!

I've been thinking about getting myself a button maker anyway. Hand those out at SQL Saturdays or something. @=)

If you don't mind me stealing it, that is.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• i want royalties. lol.

I'm sure we could think of a whole ton of great sayings like that.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (5/6/2011)

By "vulgarize" I thought you meant something completely different...

Lol very funny 😉 I really enjoy the community od SQLServerCentral.

I meant, of course, a way to describe the DBA's job to someone who has, for example, no idea what a database is.

• calvo (5/6/2011)

i want royalties. lol.

I'm sure we could think of a whole ton of great sayings like that.

DBAs: We monitor your packet-size.

DBAs: Scanning the bar, but seeking a date.

... I'll stop, they're only going to get worse, those are at least polite. 🙂

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• I describe my job as being for databases a bit like what a mechanic is for a car. You check the oils and the air in the tires every so often, and occasionally you have to deal with "there's a funny noise coming from..."

And of course there's the tweaking them to make them go faster 😎

I suppose the only difference is that the price of database petrol gets cheaper over the years 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• I tell people that I work with database and offer that if they have sleep problems I'l explain exactly what I do.

Most get the idea.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• I tried explaining what I do to someone who is not computer savvy and i got compared to a librarian... sigh. Now I just say I work with computers.

• I just say that I work in I.T. with Databases. If they ask beyond that, I say SQL Server databases. If I get a blank look, I make them go buy me a beer.

• Brandie Tarvin (5/5/2011)

I used to get that a lot too...

So now when I'm asked "what's a DBA?"

Don't Bother Asking.

Computer stuff...

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply