Help on splitting the name field in a query

• I am trying to extract first name, last name and middle initial from the custname field, any help is greatly appreciated.

Here are few examples of the custname field:

Smith, GRAM, A

Lastname, SEAN G

Sm, Amy

Thanks!

• Have you tried anything on your own??? Have you looked into CHARINDEX or PATINDEX?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Does it always have a comma between the elements of the name? (Your samples do, but I'm not sure if that's a coincidence.)

Also, does it have entries like "Bob Smith", where the elements are in the right sequence? Or is it always last-first-middle?

How about prefixes and suffixes? Does it have any of those? (Things like "Dr. Joe Jones", or "Sam Smith Jr.")

I'm asking because pattern-matching on names can be incredibly difficult. If they follow a simple pattern of last,first,middle (with the same sequence, and always a comma between elements), then it'll be pretty easy.

Please answer the above and then I'll probably be able to help out.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• No it's not consistent, but most of the times it's either:

1. lastname, firstname MI

2. Lastname, Firstname, MI

There are some data issues, just for now let's consider the above combination for splitting the names. Thanks for the help!

• Heh... it's real tough when the OP doesn't have a clue what they want... here's what he posted just before his edit for names...

NYSTROM, GRAHAM, A

CLOSSON, SEAN T

MOORE, AMANDA

In any case, this is super simple using a Tally table, but we do need to know how stable the data is, answer the questions that GSquared asked, and what is the primary key of the table?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Mh (2/27/2008)

No it's not consistent, but most of the times it's either:

1. lastname, firstname MI

2. Lastname, Firstname, MI

There are some data issues, just for now let's consider the above combination for splitting the names. Thanks for the help!

That helps... question would be, what do you want done if they don't have that format?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Also, still need to know the PK of the table for the highspeed Tally table solution...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Then CHARINDEX is your friend. You will need to plit off the last name into its own field FIRST, and then worry about the possibilities of a second comma "later".

Hint: you're looking for the CHARINDEX of the comma, so that you can pull the LEFT side into the LastName column, and then remove the last name from this working column.

You really should give it a whirl.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• So far I was able to get the lastname:

left(custname, (charindex(',',CUSTNAME,1)-1)) as [LastName]

How do I get the firstname??

• Let's try another "hint" to see if that works too. You want to grab the SUBSTRING of the combined name starting one character after that very same comma, and as long as the original string...

You're then going to have to figure out if your "first name" also includes the middle name. But that's essentially just repeating what you've just done to pull out the last name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• MH... seriously... just tell me what the PK of the table is...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Actually it's GreatPlains DB, surprisingly theer's no PK, I do'nt work much with GP and pl. do'nt ask me why there's no PK.

• Ok... is there anything like a CustID or EmployeeNum or some column that I can relate back to that uniquely identifies a given row? Not quite the same as asking for a PK, but close...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• custnumber field is unique.

• Perfect... I'll be back soon...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply