Help needed

• i have a table Called  GE_Trans which has a column TreatyNumber which has values

like below

Sample data

TreatyNumber

MRQYP2A2

MRQYP3A1

MRQYS2A2

i want to add a new field to this table called TreatyID with datatype bigint

and write in this field either 2 OR 3 as it is depends on the 6th Digit in

the TreatyNumber field.

what i mean by this is for instance by looking at te sample data in the first instance

TreatyNumber is MRQYP2A2 (6th Digit in the TreatyNumber field is 2 which i want to write in my new field TreatyID)

• So, what is your problem?

You don't know how to use SUBSTRING?

• i know how to use it but i dont know how to use it in this case

can you guide me please

• When you create your new field you can use substring(treatynumber,6,1) as a formula value.

• from BOL:
    SELECT SUBTRING(FirstName,1,1) AS Initial, LastNameFROM Employees

This is the result set:

Initial..........LastName-------------------------A................FunkM................PearsonL................CalafatoN................DannerJ................LeeS................ByhamM................SutterR................KingA................Doyle
  • guys, sorry for messing up the formatting. will be more careful next time.

• Can you write the actual query to show me becz i am still not cleared fully.

Thanks

• do you want a query to select the data or one to update the data or one to have the field always contain the data?

• TreatyID = substring(TreatyNumber, 6, 1)

is an actual query.

• update the data

• update GE_Trans set TreatyID = substring(TreatyNumber, 6, 1)

run this after you add your new field to the table.  Also, I don't see why you would want to use a bigint datatype when you are only going to hold a value between 0 and 9

• Also keep in mind that what you've asked for will only set the TreatyID values for existing rows.  You will need to also take care of populating the TreatyID for new rows inserted into your table.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• John Rowan is correct about the existing rows... that's why some have suggested that the new column be a "calculated column" (see CREATE TABLE and ALTER TABLE in Books Online for how to make one).  Creating a "real" column for this would actually be a violation of 3rd normal form because you are duplicating data in columns....

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks for the help to all of you

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply