Head in the sand thought

• Picture the scenario..................The boss has you in the office, telling you that another Head of Department has come up with this whizz bang idea.  When he tells you what it is, every fibre of your being shouts 'No'.  It could do untold damage to the network, comprise security, damage data etc etc (think of anything which is really bad in your situation).

When you try to say that this is not a good idea etc, he replies 'Why don't you bring me solutions not problems?'.  I'm thinking of situations where, no matter how reasonably and logically your arguments are, he will not listen because he has already agreed without consultation.

Anybody got a good response that will not bring you a P45 ( I think its called a 'pink slip  in the US) i.e. lose your job?  Just a thought........

Madame Artois

• This is very tricky but you have to expose the flaws of the plan technically and make all communications about the subject email.  I had a report my immediate boss changed the design from only what is needed to must have all so I designed it, the result was almost 100 pages for something that is supposed to be only 9 pages at most.  Work stopped on it until she left the company.  So don't complain start engineering.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• No easy answers. Mostly it's about trust and credibility, takes forever to earn, about 5 mins to burn. I'll stereo type a bit and say that most IT people suffer tunnel vision, only look at the technical side. Have to include the business side which often includes politics!

Things that may help:

- Make sure you (and the boss) understand the problem to be solved. Often they present their own solution instead of posing the problem for discussion. If possible, pose alternatives that range from cheap/easy to expensive/difficult. Remember, we get paid to solve problems, offer them the options

- If they've settled on a solution its fair (and wise) to make known your concerns, especially if you think the consequences could be horrible. Once you've done so, you've done your bit, now implement the solution and see what happens!

- Earn the right to disagree. You'd think it would be implied, but it really isnt - human nature.

Sometimes it needs tough love, you have to let them take the wrong course. Sometimes we're limited by our own biases and don't see the bigger picture. Short of criminal/civil penalties I say go with the flow after trying to offer alternatives, or look for a better situation and move on your terms!

• Its great that everyone offers similar advice. I particularly have used  the 'implement and see what happens approach'.

I've never had much luck with the 'earn the right to disagree' but there again, I've always worked in government/emergency services where rank can be everything.  Sometimes, over the years you can win idiosyncrasy points, sometimes not.

I just wondered if anyone had a rebuttal to the 'solutions not problems' argument. Funny possibly??

Madame Artois

• I have lived the story on more than one occasions. One approach could be to do things *without* sounding negative:

ie.

1. Why is the guy proposing the changes in the first place? What is there to gain ? (not necessarily technical-wise). Write down the benefits without being biased.

2. What are the implications (problems) of these changes. Also get them on paper (or on email-something permanant anyway...)

3. Try to figure out how you could achieve the same benefits without having these problems - find alternatives - Write them down !

4. Anything you write - maintain a positive type of writing.

Like some wrote here, business decisions especially at managerial level almost always included more or less politics and this is something everyone has to live with, respect it and sometimes be part of it.(unless of course you're rich enough and you work for the fun of it so you don't really care)

•  

I think a clarification in the situation, and question is needed before people start answering questions that were not asked.

I read the post and interprit as such . There is no current "problems" in your current environment, some big wig in a different office says, look we used program X and it saved us 10%, your boss says "Hey we need to use that program too."

I agree with Andy in that my job is to provide options and recommendation, and let the managers make the stupid decisions. The key thing to do is document in email the options with the good points and the bad points of the options. So when the S$$t hits the fan you can say "look right here in my email I told you why program X was not going to work."

I would also say to the boss, "What is it that you want to fix? Why do you think there is a problem? What is it that you are trying to achive? " then give you time to come up with a solution, which may or may not be program X.

Personally I get sick that everyone thinks a 3rd party solution is needed to fix problems. I personally beleive just about anything can be achived with vbscript, VB, and or group policy. (I am not considering the trade-off of time vs. convinience.) How good do you look when you saved 50% because you did not waste $2000 on some program but scripted something instead...Your boss can now boast back to the boss in the other department and you earned some credibility.

• Usually someone who is coming to you with a whizz bang idea is most often thinking of how they can increase sales or attract new customers.  Most of the time, I state "That's a good idea" (because they often are). 

Then when the next question comes about when we could implement the good idea, I point out that something else has to give, resources are currently allocated to existing projects.  So to start on their good idea project, they would have to convince the powers that be that other projects are not as important.  That usually ends the discussion.

Scott

• Grasshoper got the spirit of my question right, though I appreciate anyone's thoughts.  The scenario I was thinking of has no initial problem; the bosses I'm thinking are not trying to achieve anything quantifiable. 

The HoD, who has had the whizz bang idea, has been either 'whistled and belled' i.e. sold something which he doesn't understand by a salesman using a presentation or bought software because it gives the appearance of progress and he hopes he doesn't have to do any work.  However, he outranks your boss in the corporate pecking order and your boss hasn't got the nerve to say no.

So there you are, between a rock and a hard place...........................and you know it going to be trouble with a capital T..........

Madame Artois

• And after talking to your boss, the email goes

Boss,

Per our discussion, I am willing to install product X (or whatever was asked). Please keep in mind that, based on my experience/knowledge, this will not resolve our issues because of:

And I believe it will further cause us more problems than it solves. Such as:

As we discussed, I will do the install as requested and do my best to ensure it works as expected by you and HoD. But I would have failed in my job if I had not pointed out what I feel are it's shortcomings.

Signed

your name

-SQLBill

• Here's few points to add to SQL Bill's suggestions:

• Define the (compelling) business need
    • Quantify the ROI
    • Propose alternatives

And by all means document your concerns to all involved and thank the powers in the universe that you had not chosen politics as a career !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it is always wrong

- H. L. Mencken, Mencken's Metalaw

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply