Get data for last 4 week and issue \"Arithmetic overflow error for type varchar\"

• I am trying to get data only for last 4 weeks. My field where I have dates is called [WED], what I normally would do is:

I would declare some variables

DECLARE @CurrentDateTime DATETIME = GETDATE(); DECLARE @CurrentDate DATE = @CurrentDateTime;

DECLARE @LastWeekDt DATE = DATEADD(WW, -1, DATEADD(DD, 7 - DATEPART(dw, @CurrentDate), @CurrentDate)); DECLARE @LWDATE VARCHAR(8) = convert(varchar(8),cast (@LASTWEEKDT as date),112);

DECLARE @Last4WeekDt DATE = DATEADD(WW, -3, DATEADD(DD, 7 - DATEPART(dw, @LastWeekDt), @LastWeekDt)); DECLARE @Last4WeekDATE VARCHAR(8) = convert(varchar(8),cast (@LAST4WEEKDT as date),112);

and just use WHERE statement

where [WED] BETWEEN @CurrentDate AND @Last4WeekDt

However, I am getting an error namely: "Msg 206, Level 16, State 2, Line 17 Operand type clash: date is incompatible with float"

When I am trying to use this, I am still getting an error

where CONVERT(DATE, CONVERT(CHAR(8),[WED] )) >= DATEADD(WEEK, -4, GETDATE())

Error "Arithmetic overflow error for type varchar, value = 20181006.000000."

Once I used this query and it helped, but this time I am still getting an error. Does someone know where can be a mistake?

WHERE CONVERT(DATETIME, CONVERT(VARCHAR(8), ISNULL(NULLIF([WED], 0),19800101)), 112) < DATEADD(DAY,-30,GETDATE()) -- keeps 0s, older than 30 days

I just need to get 4 weeks of data.

• DECLARE @EndTargetDate DATE = '01-Jan-2022'

SELECT

FROM

WHERE SomeDate > DATEADD(week,-4,@EndTargetDate) AND SomeDate <= @EndTargetDate

• Pietlinden thank you. I am getting an error "Operand type clash: date is incompatible with float".

• why do you need to convert to char(8) ?

where CONVERT(DATE, CONVERT(CHAR(8),[WED] ))

What's the data type of your column [WED]  ??

Rule number 1 ( with ANY RDBMS ): tell your system what you know !!!

Rule number 2 ( with ANY RDBMS ): Declare columns with the correct data type !!!

2022-07-27 08_30_23-SQLQuery1.sql - L-5CG8293JYX_SQL2019DE.master (ADAGILITY_jbijnens (60))_ - Micro

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• by the looks of it WED is a float - bad bad choice for almost anything and definitely very bad for a date.

-- as the column you are comparing to is a float (or numeric) you need to convert the date to a numeric representation.
    -- convert the date to a char(8), format 112 and then to a float

DECLARE @LastWeekDt DATE = DATEADD(WW, -1, DATEADD(DD, 7 - DATEPART(dw, @CurrentDate), @CurrentDate));
    DECLARE @LWDATE float = convert(float, convert(char(8), @LastWeekDt , 112));

DECLARE @Last4WeekDt DATE = DATEADD(WW, -3, DATEADD(DD, 7 - DATEPART(dw, @LastWeekDt), @LastWeekDt));
    DECLARE @Last4WeekDATE float = convert(float, convert(char(8), @Last4WeekDt , 112));
  • frederico_fonseca

Thank you very much. It fixed my issue. I appreciate it.

• Johan Bijnens it appeared to be in float as I understand, not sure why.

• Thank you for the feedback.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Just to confirm what happened here and according to the other thread on a similar subject, it's because someone designed the table with numeric dates as Jeremy pointed out in the first post in this thread.

@Jeremy... I don't know what is using this table but I strongly recommend that either someone do the necessary conversion and replace the column as an actual DATE datatype column, or and a persisted, indexed, computed column that you can use much more effectively in SQL.  Actually, and the trigger police are sure to make an appearance, I'd make a trigger to populate the additional column to prevent any chance of it being interpreted by the system as a scalar function.  See the both of the following for why I say that.  TGhe first identifies the problem and the second is the ultimate and probably best fix.

https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2016/01/another-reason-why-scalar-functions-in-computed-columns-is-a-bad-idea/

https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2020/10/using-triggers-to-replace-scalar-udfs-on-computed-columns/

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply