Generate a random password

• J (11/13/2008)

Nice !

There also might be confusion between letter "G" and number 6...

Definitely, feel free to update the script to do so. However, I've also submitted an updated script that includes that. It should be posted to the main topic window soon.

Cheers!

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• very nice, although id suggest one thing

link to a dw to hold all of the previously generated passwords, and then check if the generated password has been generated before:

if so, run the statement again

if not, store the password in the dw and output the result

• Nice and handy script!

So far I simply used part of a New_Id() as a password, but having more complex scenarios is better.

Thanks!

• I'll warn again that such pasword generators have a pretty good potential for creating some pretty nasty swear words. At least take out the vowels to make it a little safer in English. No guarantees on vowel removal helping at all in languages other than English.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (5/15/2013)

I'll warn again that such pasword generators have a pretty good potential for creating some pretty nasty swear words. At least take out the vowels to make it a little safer in English. No guarantees on vowel removal helping at all in languages other than English.

I definitely agree...but then again, in our shop, we'd probably not think twice about swear-sounding words. 😀

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• So it's been a while, since the last comment, and I've changed companies. Revisited this code because we have the PERFECT scenario where it is useful, as we spin up a DB and admin password for each client. I knew this would find a practical purpose one day. 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply