Function to cast an integer to a varchar where 1 = A, 26 = Z, ...

• I have an itentity column that I'd like to convert the value to a varchar using the following logic:

1 becomes 0A

2 becomes 0B

26 becomes 0Z

27 becomes A0

28 becomes AA

52 becomes AZ

53 becomes B0

And so on.

The results will be stored in a varchar field in the same table.

Has anyone done such a conversion function?

Thanks in advance,

John

• there are a lot of script contributions that do decimal to hex and hex to decimal for example, but non of them have the exact format you are looking for;

take a look at the scripts section and see if you can change your logic to store a formatted hex string (ie '0x0A', or change the logic in some of the examples to do what you want:

ScriptsRatingSearch Score
    Convert from hexadecimal to binary -and vice versa3.25100
    Report DTS Error Code and Description3.687.12
    Convert Hex value to Signed 64-bit bigint2.7586.74
    Generating random numbers in a range, sql2k486.74
    Random Populate a Table086.74
    ufn_vbintohexstr4.6786.74
    Convert Hex value to Signed 32-bit int3.5786.36
    Convert Numeric To Hex3.586.36
    Execute DTS package using OA procedures4.2585.61
    Converting Binary data to a Hex Character String2.6784.47
    HexToInt584.47
    Optimized HexToSMALLINT583.71
    HexToINT383.71
    HexToSmallInt4.583.71
    faster dbo.ufn_vbintohexstr - varbinary to hex583.71
    Retrieve column attributes383.33
    Database Console Command : DBCC page undocumented583.33
    Script to perform http(s) post4.8682.95

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Here is an exemple : ( but 53 becomes AZ ?! )

create function dbo.fn_conv ( @number int )

returns varchar(3)

as

begin

-- next 2 variables could be parameters

declare @charset varchar(255)

declare @len int

set @charset = '0ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'

set @len = len(@charset)

declare @result varchar(255)

set @result = ''

while @number > 0

begin

set @result = substring(@charset,( @number % @len ) + 1,1) + @result

set @number = (@number - ( @number % @len ) ) / @len

end

if @result = '' set @result = '0'

return @result -- eventually, add leading 0

end

go

select dbo.fn_conv(1)  --> A

select dbo.fn_conv(10) --> J

select dbo.fn_conv(27) --> A0

select dbo.fn_conv(52) --> AY

select dbo.fn_conv(53) --> AZ

select dbo.fn_conv(54) --> B0

• or this one:

ALTER function [dbo].[fn_conv] ( @number int )

returns varchar(255)

as

begin

DECLARE @charset varchar(255)

DECLARE @len int

DECLARE @nbr int

DECLARE @s-2 varchar(255)

declare @result varchar(255)

set @len = 27

set @nbr = 0

SET @s-2 = ''

set @result = ''

while @number >= @len

begin

set @number = @number - 27

set @nbr = @nbr + 1

end

if @nbr > 0

begin

set @s-2 = dbo.fn_Conv (@Nbr)

end

set @number = @number + 64

if @number = 64

begin

set @number = 48

end

set @result = @s-2 + char(@number)

while 1 = 1

begin

if not substring(@result, 1,1) = '0'

begin

break

end

set @result = substring(@result, 2, len(@result) - 1)

end

if len(@result) < 2

begin

set @result = right('00' + @result, 2)

end

return @result

end

• Hey there John, I think you'll like this...

First, your numbering is a bit off... if 1 is "A", and 26 is "Z", and 52 is "AZ", then 53 MUST be "BA"... There is no zero in this numbering scheme...

Second, you don't need a function... just a simple calculated column... I've added two calculated columns using just a bit of mathematical prestidigitation in the example below just so you can see that it works...

Ready?

--===== If the demonstration table exists, drop it

IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB.dbo.#MyHead') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #MyHead

GO

--===== Create the demonstration table with two calculated columns

CREATE TABLE #MyHead

(

RowNum        INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY,

AlphaRowNum    AS +CHAR(((RowNum-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,7.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((RowNum-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,6.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((RowNum-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,5.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((RowNum-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,4.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((RowNum-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,3.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((RowNum-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,2.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((RowNum-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,1.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((RowNum-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,0.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65),

SomeValue     INT,

AlphaSomeValue AS +CHAR(((SomeValue-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,7.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((SomeValue-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,6.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((SomeValue-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,5.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((SomeValue-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,4.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((SomeValue-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,3.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((SomeValue-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,2.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((SomeValue-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,1.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

+CHAR(((SomeValue-1)/CAST(POWER(26.0,0.0) AS BIGINT))%26+65)

)

--===== Populate the table with 100,000 known numbers (RowNum)

-- and 100,000 random numbers (SomeValue)

INSERT INTO #MyHead (SomeValue)

SELECT TOP 100000

RAND(CAST(NEWID() AS VARBINARY))*2147483647+1

FROM Master.dbo.SysColumns sc1,

Master.dbo.SysColumns sc2

--===== Now, let's check the calculated columns...

SELECT * FROM #MyHead

It'll handle any positive INT although "0" comes out as the very special "AAAAAAA@"

... Lemme know if that helps...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Surely this is base 27?

1 becomes 0A, 2 becomes 0B, 26 becomes 0Z, 27 becomes A0, 28 becomes AA,... seems pretty clear to me. OK, then there's a slight slip in evaluating AZ and B0, which should be 53 and 54, but 'There is no zero in this numbering scheme?' How do you work that out Jeff?

Tim Wilkinson

"If it doesn't work in practice, you're using the wrong theory"
    - Immanuel Kant

• Heh... Thought I explained it just fine... Tim, the key for me was the value 1 being A, 26 being Z, and 52 being AZ... I should have said, "I don't think you want zero in this numbering scheme but I could be wrong". 

John... what do you actually need?  Base 26 (A-Z or Base 27 (0, A-Z)?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• REPLACE(CHAR(64+FLOOR(number/27))+CHAR(64+number-(FLOOR(number/27)*27)),'@','0')

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• A slightly different take on David's 2 character solution...

REPLACE(CHAR((Number/27)%27+64)+CHAR(Number%27+64),'@','0')

Just remember that both of those 2 character solutions "lose their mind" at a decimal value of 730... David's starts producing special characters at 730 and, when the number get's large enough, start producing nulls.  The solution above starts the sequence over... 729 is ZZ, 730 is 00, 731 is 0A.

The reason I was so adament about using Base 26 (A-Z) instead of Base 27 (0,A-Z) is because a "0" (zero) looks a lot like an "O" (alpha "oh") in some fonts (Courier New, especially).

However, if that's what you really want, you still don't need a loop or a function... just a calculated column.  Similar to the previous test I posted, here's the base 27 (0, A-Z) solution... oh... almost forgot... BigInt is only necessary on the POWER(27.0,7.0) line... I'm just being lazy by doing a copy of that line everywhere...

--===== If the demonstration table exists, drop it

IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB.dbo.#MyHead') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #MyHead

GO

--===== Create the demonstration table with two calculated columns

CREATE TABLE #MyHead

(

RowNum        INT IDENTITY(0,1) PRIMARY KEY,

AlphaRowNum    AS REPLACE(

+CHAR((RowNum/CAST(POWER(27.0,7.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((RowNum/CAST(POWER(27.0,6.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((RowNum/CAST(POWER(27.0,5.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((RowNum/CAST(POWER(27.0,4.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((RowNum/CAST(POWER(27.0,3.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((RowNum/CAST(POWER(27.0,2.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((RowNum/CAST(POWER(27.0,1.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((RowNum/CAST(POWER(27.0,0.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

,'@',0),

SomeValue     INT,

AlphaSomeValue AS REPLACE(

+CHAR((SomeValue/CAST(POWER(27.0,7.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((SomeValue/CAST(POWER(27.0,6.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((SomeValue/CAST(POWER(27.0,5.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((SomeValue/CAST(POWER(27.0,4.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((SomeValue/CAST(POWER(27.0,3.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((SomeValue/CAST(POWER(27.0,2.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((SomeValue/CAST(POWER(27.0,1.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

+CHAR((SomeValue/CAST(POWER(27.0,0.0) AS BIGINT))%27+64)

,'@',0)

)

--===== Populate the table with 100,000 known numbers (RowNum)

-- and 100,000 random numbers (SomeValue)

INSERT INTO #MyHead (SomeValue)

SELECT TOP 100000

RAND(CAST(NEWID() AS VARBINARY))*2147483647+1

FROM Master.dbo.SysColumns sc1,

Master.dbo.SysColumns sc2

--===== Now, let's check the calculated columns...

SELECT * FROM #MyHead

Take a look at the alpha for row numbers 0 and 15... that'll be fun tro troubleshoot if you ever need to

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• One BIG problem.

You state: I have an itentity column that I'd like to convert the value to a varchar

This is from the Books OnLine (BOL):

IDENTITY

Indicates that the new column is an identity column. When a new row is added to the table, Microsoft® SQL Server™ provides a unique, incremental value for the column. . The IDENTITY property can be assigned to tinyint, smallint, int, bigint, decimal(p,0), or numeric(p,0) columns. . You must specify both the seed and increment or neither. If neither is specified, the default is (1,1).

So, you cannot make an IDENTITY column VARCHAR. You would have to create a new column, update it based on the IDENTITY column and then drop the identity column or keep both columns. Then how would you update the new column when a new row is entered? Trigger?

-SQLBill

• quoteYou would have to create a new column, update it based on the IDENTITY column and then drop the identity column or keep both columns. Then how would you update the new column when a new row is entered?

Add Derived Column to the table 

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• I had the job of creating alpha-numeric barcodes for my current job. I controlled the data and used an identity column to feed the function below.

It is zero based, but 01...z

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[fnc_generateBarcode] (@nbr decimal)

RETURNS varchar(6)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @result varchar(6), @loop integer, @working integer

SET @loop = 0

SET @result = ''

WHILE @loop < 6

BEGIN

SET @working = (@nbr / power(36, @loop))%36

set @result = substring('0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ', @working+1, 1) + @result

SET @nbr = @nbr - (@working * power(36, @loop))

SET @loop = @loop + 1

END

RETURN (@result)

END

• I think I would keep the indentity column, create a function that takes the value in the identity column and converts it to what you want, and lastly create a computed column that uses that function.

-SQLBill

• Like I said, keep the identity column and add a calculated column.  Takes care of new rows, old rows, etc...   Or, you can do like David suggests... the formula's are simple enough... just use a "derived column".  Not sure you need a function but that sure would make it easy to do.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• That's a cool function... change the 36 to 27 and drop the 1-9 from the string and I think it'll work for the 0, A-Z range...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply