From the Real World: On Call Again

• Lynn Pettis (4/1/2009)

Geez, some people with no sense of humor. I read it thinking it was a real horror story unfolding on a poor DBA. Glad to see it was just a joke!

Hey, if you don't have a sense of humor, you're in the wrong career field!

Nah. If you don't have a sense of humor, you're in the wrong species! 😀

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (4/1/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/1/2009)

Geez, some people with no sense of humor. I read it thinking it was a real horror story unfolding on a poor DBA. Glad to see it was just a joke!

You mean the platypus?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (4/1/2009)

GSquared (4/1/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/1/2009)

You mean the platypus?

Now that's a joke! lol

• April Fools. Hah. Since it sounded like a month I had early in my career, I was really feeling for the DBA.

Nice one.:w00t:

Maybe those who are upset by this don't observe this day as a jokefest. Maybe they don't understand. But if they do... laughter is vital to physical and mental health. So, lighten up already! :hehe:

• Hey we all have good senses of humour, but I think those who found this funny are the kind of people that still find series one of 'Friends' funny.

• For those who have an issue with the article, think of it as a great learning tool. When you get a young or inexperienced DBA in, sit him or her down with this article. Let that person know that it's a good thing this was an April Fool's joke, because stuff like this happens and when it does, people get fired. Therefore, they need to check up on these sorts of things. The devil is in the details. And when they're done reading this article, have them read this blog post that reinforces a details-oriented mentality:

Who Thinks Like Database Professionals?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Duran (4/1/2009)

Hey we all have good senses of humour, but I think those who found this funny are the kind of people that still find series one of 'Friends' funny.

That's the problem with thinking. I thought the article was a good joke. I may have watched Friends, but it wasn't because i thought it was all that funny. I watched it with my wife. It had its moments, but otherwise was some what dull, just like Seinfeld.

• Great Read you got me at the end. 🙂

For those that don't have time and it's not funny I would suggest avoid reading on the web today as much of it is April fools jokes. Oh and even dba's that don't have time need 1 day out of the year to laugh.

pat

• Back before the dotcom bubble burst, the old Visual Basic Programmer's Journal had a hilarious story in their magazine about a hot new startup, eMeringue. This was a service where you go online and order the meringue topping for your pie, then they deliver it by overnight mail. It had photos of a guy in a chef's hat making the meringue on a plate, and ended with photos of a customer delightedly opening the box and sliding the meringue on top of a pie. It detailed all the technology used in the web site and backoffice ordering software. Since there were other, equally ridiculous startup premises around, I remember reading the whole thing with a growing sense of disbelief. Who in their right mind would a) buy a meringue on line; and b) fund a business that sells meringue online? I remember thinking, "It's just sugar and eggs!" And there was no, "April Fool" line at the end. You had to wait until the next issue where they 'fessed up, but if it sounded crazy and was in the April issue, that was probably it.

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • WWHHOOOOAAAA!!! Now lets not get carried away here! Putting Friends anywhere NEAR Seinfeld is just absurd and unjust!

• Duran (4/1/2009)

WWHHOOOOAAAA!!! Now lets not get carried away here! Putting Friends anywhere NEAR Seinfeld is just absurd and unjust!

You're right, it isn't fair to "Friends", sorry. 😉

• Personally, I think April fools jokes are sort of tired and immature. But if you are going to do one, there is a right way and a wrong way. Don't leave your reader feeling like a sucker.

Here is one that I think was done right:

http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/2009/04/undocumented-trace-flag-improves.html

TJayBelt's left enough people feeling like suckers that I think you could say it was not done right. It was way too straight and then at the end it was not funny or clever, so I just felt played.

• it's great that you have got lot of time...JK

• Yeah, you had me going. I was feeling bad for you, man. I thought I had worked with that TechDBA.

Forget all that moaning.

Thanks for the prank.

Jeff

• Not cool.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply