Finding Your Own Career

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Finding Your Own Career

• This is a topic that is pretty close to my heart.

I finished studying march last year and started as new developer responsible for all SSIS and SSAS in a company where there was no one doing it. I was basically thrown in there. Since it there are many cubes and not much is documented life is quiet hard but now i think i manage to get around quiet well.

It is not the best payment, but i can decide pretty much everything on my own how i handle errors and projects. Since i still feel and am a beginner in this field i still need to learn alot, so all in all i think i am going to stay in the company i am for a while even though there are offers out there with better payment. Because in this job i feel like i can still learn alot.

There is that quote from the billionair who said something on the line: you should apply first and learn how to do it on the way!

Not sure about that approach myself, for now i stay where i am and trade payment for freedom at work.

• I'm borrowing some of this for my end of year PDP meetings coming up right now 🙂

• Very well said Steve!  Without a little "comparing" it is sometimes hard to push yourself.  You are one of the people that I've looked up to and used as a motivator for myself.  Thanks for all you do and for being as open as you are about your path, your life, and your motivations.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  IowaDave.
  • And while you're doing your Career Planning, don't forget about Retirement Planning.  It may not mean much to you when you're in your 20's and 30's, but it'll mean everything to you when you're in your 50's and later.

I've got otherwise successful colleagues who neglected this important aspect and are literally paying the price now, and will continue to do so in coming years.  Whereas I and others who have planned well are reaping rewards both financially and in "peace-of-mind".

• IowaDave wrote:

Very well said Steve!  Without a little "comparing" it is sometimes hard to push yourself.  You are one of the people that I've looked up to and used as a motivator for myself.  Thanks for all you do and for being as open as you are about your path, your life, and your motivations.

Thanks, Dave, and you are welcome. Hope you have a happy holiday

• pwhoyt wrote:

And while you're doing your Career Planning, don't forget about Retirement Planning.  It may not mean much to you when you're in your 20's and 30's, but it'll mean everything to you when you're in your 50's and later.

I've got otherwise successful colleagues who neglected this important aspect and are literally paying the price now, and will continue to do so in coming years.  Whereas I and others who have planned well are reaping rewards both financially and in "peace-of-mind".

Great point. Retirement is something we don't do well as humans, but it's important. I hope you all do want to stop, or stop needing to work, at some point.

• ktflash wrote:

Not sure about that approach myself, for now i stay where i am and trade payment for freedom at work.

Glad you know what you're doing, and certainly I've made that trade in the past

• I'm not happy with how I've handled my career, when I was able to, and how my career has gone. When I first started I heard young developers should find a mentor to learn from. I tried to find a mentor, no one was interested. I tried asking others for advice as to what to do at certain points; no one would talk to me. I have tried, very mightily, to network as best I can. That has resulted in limited success. There's very few people in my area who attend the .NET user group that I helped form. The SQL Server group is better, but I can only attend 1 group a month. I concluded a long time ago that in this area its everyone for him/her self. Even so, I'm always nagged with the idea that I could have done something different, something better, than I did with my career. I'm sure I could have; I just don't know all that could be.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Interesting topic!  While I could see how one might argue against comparing yourself to others, I would caution against going too far onto the "snowflake path".  Unique is great from a personal fulfillment point of view, but can be a negative on the professional development side:  if no one can figure out "what you do" then no one will ever hire you, or know how you might provide benefit.

No matter what our jobs or titles might be, don't forget to know the basic/common aspects that are expected.  Certainly don't be afraid to pursue a few skills that make you distinct from others, but FIRST know how to deal with the 80% of cases that might cross your path.  You might get incredibly lucky and somehow land the 1 in a million job doing something very specialized that you love full time;  mostly though those special skills are more likely to give you an edge or special insight once in a while, while the rest of the time you're dealing with the mundane of whatever it is you picked.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Matt Miller (4). Reason: typoes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I've been extremely "lucky" with my career.  I define "luck" as where opportunity meets preparation.  I've also followed one of the best "Laws of Success" there is.  In fact, it's "Lesson Nine" in a book titled "Law of Success" by Napoleon Hill, written way back in the days of Ford, Edison, and a couple of other "successful" people.  I have a "52nd printing" from 1996, although I practiced that lesson long before I was even aware of the book.

The Title of the lesson is "Habit of Doing More than Paid For".  For you folks still in school, consider it to be "Habit of Doing More than Expected" when it comes to your studies.

I'll also state that there's a four letter "word" that I also follow... "DOIT".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Agree with Steve, and with pwhoyt about retirement planning.

One other thing I've learned over the years (unfortunately the hard way) is that a job can end, even if you like it and are doing well there.  So keep up your contacts and have other irons in the fire.  And keep learning.

• An inspiring article especially for the youngsters who is about to complete their Degree and enter into the world of reality called Corporate. When we are young and no one is available to mentor you, you generally follow what majority of others follow instead of listening to our heart. Although still there are people who listen to their heart. My own younger brother did that. He followed his passion in Physics and NanoTech and now pursuing the Phd in the same space.

Society also plays an important role since our childhood. No creature on this planet earth lives for accumulation except us the HUMANS. This is sole reasons for all the bad choices majority of us make either to arrange food, cloth or shelter for us/our family or to provide the better life to us/our family. We spend the whole HUMAN LIFE in the race of "slight more" and we forget to live the blissful gift provided to us by the GOD. The moment we start working to survive than accumulating money or wealth, we can truly make the earth as heaven. Anyway, that's too much of philosophy 🙂

Steve, your article is seriously inspiring and may touch many hearts !!

• Thanks, that's what I'm hoping to do. Glad you like it.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply