Error at adding snapshot file to UNC folder.

• Hi friends,

I have a very minor but very big error... i was trying to setup replication in sql server 2008, system is generating snapshot files in default directoy and i also given additional compressed snapshot file directory.

Issue was it is able to generate the snapshot files into the default directory <MSS10.MSSQL.... /repldata/unc folder but problem while applying the snapshot.pre file from the folder while propogating the snapshot while merge replication,

system cannot identify the file directory /UNC/snapshot.pre file due to OS error 3 this is the error on the scrren...

i have shared the UNC folder to everyone/everything all rites to network with //<servername>/UNC folder even then i am getting the same error.. PLease help me out...

This looks like a small error but its not allowing me to gothrough snapshot to use the files....

Please help me out need assistance very urgent.... i was strugelling since 2days with same error iwas unable to build the test server.

regards

jakDB

@JayMunnangi

• It looks like you created the publication using the default "repldata" folder (something like c:\program files\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\...Repldata\unc). When the snapshot is generated, the name actually used is written to the distribution database. When the distribution agent tries to deliver the snapshot, it tries to open files in that path which is probably can't since the C: drive is not visible from other servers (and it would probably be looking at the local C: drive anyway).

To "correct" this, you need to

- set up the share with appropriate permissions (I think you have done this)

- change the default location for the snapshot to be the UNC path that you have shared

- drop any subscriptions that you have (these will be giving you errors)

- create subscription(s) as required

- create a new snapshot

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply