Do nothing in a sql statement--help

• How do you write a "do nothing" in sql. I have a statement where if two variables are 0, I don't want anything to execute

for example

if a=0 and b=0

'do nothing

else

select * from table1 where id=@id

do I put in "RETURN NULL" or is there a command I can use.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Hi,

I think that you may need to think about the issue again. If you 'do nothing' in one case and return a rowset in the second, it means that your data access interface is inconsistent. You will have to handle fact of absence of a rowset in the higher layer.

If an empty rowset should be returned, just do select * from table1 where 1=0.

If you consider condition a=0 and b=0 as error, throw exception and handle it higher in the app.

Regards

Piotr

...and your only reply is slàinte mhath

• What do you mean by "data access interface inconsistent"? Why can't this be done? I mean it's just two conditions.

• I mean, from the design point of view: you have the same set of parameters and the same set of return values unless an exception occurs. If you have a procedure that returns rowset or not, depending on some conditions, you can't for example open a reader and iterate through rows in the higher code - there may be no resultset (not empty resultset). And then you will have an exception.

In higher code, like in C# or Java or anything else, if you declare a function that returns int, it has to return int always, or throw exception. The same principle applies to stored procedures.

Regards

Piotr

...and your only reply is slàinte mhath

• You can simply put the statement RETURN in the IF statement like this:

IF (@a = 0) AND (@b = 0)

BEGIN

RETURN

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SELECT....

END

But, you'd be better off returning a value of some sort, say RETURN 1 or -1 so that the calling application knows that you're intentionally rejecting the query, not simply broken.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• what are your a and b variables doing? depending on what you're doing it could be answered in a set-based solution

select *

from table1

where (a=0 and b=0 and ID=-99999) --compare to value that id would never be, or some other logic you might want to filter on

or (ID>0)

• Forgive me for being simple... LOL! Had to read the question a couple of times, but, isn't it easier just to do the following? Or did I miss the question by a mile?

if (a + b) <> 0

begin

end

If you don't want to do anything, then don't. 🙂 Don't know what the variables represent though... And, I agree, depending on how & where you want to execute this, you might want to add some type of error handling procedure/step...

• Just on the T-SQL part of this:

if not (a=0 and b=0)

Then leave "else" out of it.

Of course, that will return positive if a equals 0 and b doesn't, or vice versa. Is that what you want?

On the design point, if a and b both equal 0, the proc won't return a result set, but if they don't, it will. That makes designing the rest of the software more complex, since sometimes it will have a result set to deal with, and sometime it won't. It's usually easier to program this kind of thing so that it has an empty result set under the conditions you want, rather than none at all.

If you're not sure what I mean by that, talk to whomever builds the software this query will be used by about it. They might be fine with it, but it's important to check that. If that's you, then I guess I'm telling you to talk to yourself, so you can ignore this part.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Tobie-189314 (9/28/2009)

Forgive me for being simple... LOL! Had to read the question a couple of times, but, isn't it easier just to do the following? Or did I miss the question by a mile?

if (a + b) <> 0

begin

end

If you don't want to do anything, then don't. 🙂 Don't know what the variables represent though... And, I agree, depending on how & where you want to execute this, you might want to add some type of error handling procedure/step...

What if a = -1 and b = 1? That'll foil this test.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• You could also have it do almost nothing.

declare @a int , @b-2 int, @C int

select @a=0,@b=0

if @a=0 and @b-2=0

set @C=@c

else

• GSquared (9/28/2009)

Tobie-189314 (9/28/2009)

Forgive me for being simple... LOL! Had to read the question a couple of times, but, isn't it easier just to do the following? Or did I miss the question by a mile?

if (a + b) <> 0

begin

end

to correct the statement i think 'and a=0' should be inserted, but it is not much simpler then not '(a=0 and b=0)'

if (a + b) <> 0 and a = 0

begin

end

• 321 MySQL (9/29/2009)

GSquared (9/28/2009)

Tobie-189314 (9/28/2009)

if (a + b) <> 0

begin

end

to correct the statement i think 'and a=0' should be inserted, but it is not much simpler then not '(a=0 and b=0)'

if (a + b) <> 0 and a = 0

begin

end

Those solutions do not take into account the result when a is null or b is null.

This should work OK:

if case when a=0 and b=0 then 1 else 0 end = 0

begin

end

• Yes, there are a lot of ways to accomplish this. I still think the simplest is to use "not" for the test.

Property of The Thread

• Mark-459099 (9/25/2009)

How do you write a "do nothing" in sql. I have a statement where if two variables are 0, I don't want anything to execute

for example

if a=0 and b=0

'do nothing

else

I think everyone has made it all too complicated with IF's, Cases, etc, etc. This is a simple problem with a simple solution....

SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE ID = @ID AND @a> 0 AND @b-2>0

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (9/30/2009)

Mark-459099 (9/25/2009)

How do you write a "do nothing" in sql. I have a statement where if two variables are 0, I don't want anything to execute

for example

if a=0 and b=0

'do nothing

else

I think everyone has made it all too complicated with IF's, Cases, etc, etc. This is a simple problem with a simple solution....

SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE ID = @ID AND @a> 0 AND @b-2>0

Part of the requirement was no result-set if a and b are not both 0. This would give an empty result-set. Also, to comply with the original requirement, it would need to return results if only one of them is 0 but the other isn't, while this wouldn't do that.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply