Did This Work? - Forum Changes at SQLServerCentral

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Did This Work? - Forum Changes at SQLServerCentral

• I like the change. I hope that more and more people will start to use it and provide some sort of feedback along those lines.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I really like the change. Personally I like the MSDN model the most: OP (or mod) can mark a reply as answered, people can upvote posts or propose a reply as an answer.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Change is always good. its always feels better if you found a question marked answer. 🙂

• I like the change. Many is the time I've found a forum topic that covers the problem I'm having but there's nothing that notes there's a solution provided. Hopefully the OP will come back to thank the person(s) who helped and mark the post with the information that worked.

• So far, I like the new feature.

FYI,

I went back to some of my posts to click the "Mark as solution" button (where appropriate). For this post, I saw the option on page 1, but not on subsequent pages. Possible bug?

• This is really a good thing. It could help you find easier the most valuable answer in posts with more answers.

Supporting it.

Regards,

Igor

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• I agree with Koen, I think.

The thing is, the problem you describe is twofold: the OP wants to know what the community thinks (the "experts"), but the community also wants to find out what works best for the OP.

So do both: (1) allow the community to vote so you get the best answer, and (2) allow the OP/mods to mark answer(s) as best for their situation.

You could also turn answers that the OP marks into stickies for the thread and move them to the top so other's don't have to hunt for them.

Thomas Knight

• tmlink99 (2/15/2014)

I agree with Koen, I think.

The thing is, the problem you describe is twofold: the OP wants to know what the community thinks (the "experts"), but the community also wants to find out what works best for the OP.

So do both: (1) allow the community to vote so you get the best answer, and (2) allow the OP/mods to mark answer(s) as best for their situation.

You could also turn answers that the OP marks into stickies for the thread and move them to the top so other's don't have to hunt for them.

Thomas Knight

As I stated peviously, the OP is frequently the worst person to judge answers. You have to remember that they asked the question because they don't know about the subject and they're frequently desparate and will take the first answer that works for them even if it might be the worst answer. I'd much rather people read through the discussion on a problem and find out what the better answers are.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (2/16/2014)

As I stated peviously, the OP is frequently the worst person to judge answers. You have to remember that they asked the question because they don't know about the subject and they're frequently desparate and will take the first answer that works for them even if it might be the worst answer. I'd much rather people read through the discussion on a problem and find out what the better answers are.

I agree, however there is value in knowing that a solution helped them. The discussion can shake out if there are better solutions. Sometimes there are and the OP (or others) cannot implement them.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/18/2014)

Jeff Moden (2/16/2014)

I agree, however there is value in knowing that a solution helped them. The discussion can shake out if there are better solutions. Sometimes there are and the OP (or others) cannot implement them.

Absolutely agreed. I just don't believe you need to spend the man-hours getting a Developer to make it so that the "OP approved" answer bubbles to the top.

That reminds me... I still owe you a list of improvements that I think would be helpful.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I like how the chronological order of replies is preserved here, unlike on some other forums, which I find slightly harder to follow.

If it's not rude of me to suggest improvements, other forums I use have a 'go to first unread post' button, which remembers where you were in each thread so you don't have to memorise what page you were on with long-running threads. It's really helpful but I don't know how easy it would be to implement.

• Double post.

• Jeff Moden (2/18/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/18/2014)

Jeff Moden (2/16/2014)

Absolutely agreed. I just don't believe you need to spend the man-hours getting a Developer to make it so that the "OP approved" answer bubbles to the top.

That reminds me... I still owe you a list of improvements that I think would be helpful.

I'm not moving the order of posts. The way that works on MSDN drives me insane trying to follow a flow. The only thing we might do is link to the "OP approved" items near the top, but they can't disturb the chronological flow.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/18/2014)

Jeff Moden (2/18/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/18/2014)

Jeff Moden (2/16/2014)

I'm not moving the order of posts. The way that works on MSDN drives me insane trying to follow a flow. The only thing we might do is link to the "OP approved" items near the top, but they can't disturb the chronological flow.

Heh...yeah.... then there's that. It's a big reason why I don't frequent MSDN forums.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply