DEF CON SQL

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item DEF CON SQL

• I have a bootable CD of Hiren's in my backpack at all times. It has saved my butt more than once.

There is something else to remember. If you change the password on a XP/Win7 pro version, even when it is not connected to it's domain, you still have to follow the group policy for passwords with it's associated domain.

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• The novel The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling features SQL injection as a major plot element. I don't want to be too much of a spoiler so I won't tell the part I found most entertaining, but I do want to say the entertainment doesn't end with just one...

• And carry a piece of real 90 degree Rebar that you can hum at the wall if you get frustrated instead of taking it out on the people trying to help. (Yes, I still have that proudly sitting on my desk. :-D)

What a great story and wind up as to how it pertains to all of us... DBA or not. Thanks for posting it, Rodney.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks for the article...

Takes me back to the early days, when exploring how everything worked was fun 🙂

• That is quite funny that you mention rebar, Jeff, as it was originally in this post. I had taken it out because the story was growing larger than a TempDB database on the first of the month. One of the DBAs I talk about in the story who helped us overtake the Windows login prompt was also the same person who found your very same rebar in Seattle. I intentionally left out actual names in this Roman a clef but if they would like to acknowledge themselves I am sure you will find out that they are as well versed in SQL and community activism as they are in "solving problems".

Rodney Landrum

• My portable toolbox includes a USB to SATA/IDE adapter, so I can easily pop the HD out of one laptop or PC and mount it on another, and it's useful for getting oneself out of these type of jams. If the files you need are stored in an encrypted file system, then that presents a snag, but even then I have a sfotware tool to crack EFS certificates.

Also, when you're doing a presentation, it a good idea to email the ppt slide to yourself and cc the meeting organizer, so there is always an easily accessible copy.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply