DBCC Timewarp

• 137 is an odd answer, in more than one way actually...

regards,

Hans

• I'm sorry Steve, you're not thinking temporally with this very handy utility, and so, although your official answer is currently correct, it will be wrong. If you run the command with FutureUltimate = 1, you will see that the very final version of the command will have 256 parameters. Unfortunately, there is no argument which returns what the UltimateDate is on this setting. (A very poor implementation on MS's part I have to say.)

But I did think it amusing that you included an option of 2 parameters in your mutiple choice. Even my old Mum knows there were only two parameters in the first beta release of this function.

You may not realise that this function was intended to replace the need to run backups on any database, by simply executing the function for the required recovery date and time. However, MS engineers noticed that they will accidently run the function on their corporate finance database in 2011 which will show that SQL Server development budget will be slashed to near zero because of this function's success. So the function will be quietly dropped from any future releases; existing versions will be able to look ahead to get updates however...

• H-122523 (4/1/2010)

137 is an odd answer, in more than one way actually...

I'll take the blame for that value.

1/137 is (aprox) the value of the fine structure constant, used in QED. You into physics Hans?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes, indeed!, You also?

I remember the rather awkward feeling when a physics professor explained that, had this 'constant' been slightly different, mankind (as we know it 🙂 ) would no have existed at all.

(We were discussing the antropic principle)

regards,

Hans

• H-122523 (4/1/2010)

Yes, indeed!, You also?

Yup. Degree in physics, haven't used it much recently (except for making up realistic-sounding explanations of non-existent SQL commands)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I graduated in astronomy.

You think they will nail the Higgs-boson, up there at the LHC?

• I certainly hope so. That would be a major breakthrough, regardless of whether it confirms or refutes the current theories. I suspect they'll find things that they weren't expecting as well.

Gail Shaw

• I also lost 7 points.Happy april fools day.

Malleswarareddy
    I.T.Analyst
    MCITP(70-451)

• IIRC DBCC TIMEWARP has 137 parameter plus 256 optional parameter.

Or will that be in the futures / was it in the past / will it be in the past? :w00t:

If Steve will follow the evolution of DBCC TIMEWARP, the correct answer(s) may vary over time, too. It seems like we just found another definition of "Floating point operation" 🙂

Edit: I just re-read the thread and found that there are 255, not 256, optional parameter. My fault. Sorry.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• DBCC TIMEWARP has 137 parameter ........Is This Correct

• SanjayAttray (3/31/2010)

Hell, is there really a command like DBCC TIMEWRAP. Never heard of it and is now obvious never used.:-D

Even tried to google it and found nothing much. Though on a fluke got the answer right.

Found nothing much! Well done on finding ANY reference to it.

By the Way DBCC TIMEWRAP was only the working title for the Beta version, it ended up being called DBCC TIMEWARP

Yea, 7 points, makes up for getting the christmas day question wrong (25 point hit, that hurt)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• D i v y a R e d d y (4/1/2010)

DBCC TIMEWARP has 137 parameter ........Is This Correct

It depends.............

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• This brings to mind The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Last night a buddy of mine was saying that he will be dating the lead actress. I had to tell him the lead "actress" was in drag. :w00t: An early, if a bit racy, early April Fools joke last night.

I wonder how many of the parameters Doc Brown needed to timewarp his Delorean? Anyone know?

• It's just a jump to the left

And then a step to the right

With your hands on your hips

You bring your knees in tight

But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane,

Let's do the Time Warp again!

• We used to have time warp parties when we were younger. Ahh, the things we saw and did....but alas I can't talk about it anymore because the Temporal Violation Investigators (TVI) have been watching me closely for years. Anyway, for me it is not really the age...it is the mileage, and every warp is a lot of mileage. I only use it sparingly now.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply