DBCC Timewarp

• Jeff Moden (2/6/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (2/6/2010)

Thank you for that helpful information, George. I apologize.

Can someone tell me if it makes a difference whether or not the new servers occupy the same racks as the old servers? I am concerned after reading Lutz' earlier comments, and the posts regarding use of DBCC TIMEWARP as a method of transferring data between systems.

It occurs to me that my company may be failing to address security concerns as well. I certainly don't want to drop any of the end users from existence... especially since one of them is ME!! :w00t:

Does anyone have any experiences or perspectives to share?

Have you tried hampster poo?

european or north african hamster poo?

Bob, if you use the same racks and don't get all 137 parameters absolutely correct you run the risk of melding the new servers to the old servers. All future results are then unpredictable. Is this where the hampster poo comes in Jeff?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (2/7/2010)

Bob, if you use the same racks and don't get all 137 parameters absolutely correct you run the risk of melding the new servers to the old servers. All future results are then unpredictable. Is this where the hampster poo comes in Jeff?

Precisely... if you add the hampster poo to the new servers' cooling system, the old servers will stay at least arm's length away from the new servers despite the settings. In that case, the European version works slightly better because of it's comparatively high moisture content compared to the North African version.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• As fascinating as this all is, it really isn't furthering my understanding of the parameters. I seriously need help because the documentation I'm working from was transcribed from a papyrus found in the tomb of Tutankhamen, and it conflicts with a different version that was recovered from the lost city of Machu Pichhu. I know Microsoft maintains that DBCC TIMEWARP is unsupported, or even nonexistent, but it would be really helpful if they would just put all this in BOL with legal disclaimers.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Matt Miller (#4) (2/6/2010)

Jeff Moden (2/6/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (2/6/2010)

Thank you for that helpful information, George. I apologize.

Can someone tell me if it makes a difference whether or not the new servers occupy the same racks as the old servers? I am concerned after reading Lutz' earlier comments, and the posts regarding use of DBCC TIMEWARP as a method of transferring data between systems.

It occurs to me that my company may be failing to address security concerns as well. I certainly don't want to drop any of the end users from existence... especially since one of them is ME!! :w00t:

Does anyone have any experiences or perspectives to share?

Have you tried hampster poo?

Careful about the usage folks. If you happen to read these messages backwards... DBCC TimeWarp also performs a DBCC MindWarp on the person at the keyboard at the very moment of the command, but of course applies the MindWarp at the DESTINATION time of the warp.

Which of course explains my horrible conundrum at this time.

This is where the optional parameters come into play.

Use the optional parameters to prevent the mindwarp and invoke a mindmeld. The mindmeld helps will either help you understand if used correctly - or corrupt / mushify your brain.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• The Dixie Flatline (2/7/2010)

As fascinating as this all is, it really isn't furthering my understanding of the parameters. I seriously need help because the documentation I'm working from was transcribed from a papyrus found in the tomb of Tutankhamen, and it conflicts with a different version that was recovered from the lost city of Machu Pichhu. I know Microsoft maintains that DBCC TIMEWARP is unsupported, or even nonexistent, but it would be really helpful if they would just put all this in BOL with legal disclaimers.

Use the optional parameter 1981 for full documentation.

If just seeking an understanding - use the optional parameter for mindmeld which is XLIV.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/7/2010)

\This is where the optional parameters come into play.

Use the optional parameters to prevent the mindwarp and invoke a mindmeld. The mindmeld helps will either help you understand if used correctly - or corrupt / mushify your brain.

Considering what I've found, you have to be really careful not to do a mindmeld with the hampster poo. The Elderberry interface isn't that bad, though.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• The Dixie Flatline (2/7/2010)

As fascinating as this all is, it really isn't furthering my understanding of the parameters. I seriously need help because the documentation I'm working from was transcribed from a papyrus found in the tomb of Tutankhamen, and it conflicts with a different version that was recovered from the lost city of Machu Pichhu. I know Microsoft maintains that DBCC TIMEWARP is unsupported, or even nonexistent, but it would be really helpful if they would just put all this in BOL with legal disclaimers.

For full documentation I suggest you ask DBCC TIMEWARP author, the famous SQL Server MVP Emmett Brown.

You can find him through LinkedIn[/url].

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Of course! The operating system for the Flux Capacitor! But the last I heard, Dr. Brown was off-planet.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• My hamster just fell through a distortion in the space-time continuum. Is it possible to get him back using DBCC TIMEWARP. Please help, he was my best friend.

• Four pages of comments and no has yet to mention the Rocky Horror Picture Show?

/ Let's do the time warp again!

// Oh no! Did I just give a clue to my age??:blink:

• nigel. (2/8/2010)

My hamster just fell through a distortion in the space-time continuum. Is it possible to get him back using DBCC TIMEWARP. Please help, he was my best friend.

Its possible if you have some of its poo. see previous posts for details on parameters.

You do run the risk of ending up with two identical hamsters at arms length from each other.

As Jeff said works best with european hamsters, north african are trickier.

• Just saw this. Very nice and creative. Had me smiling this am.

😀

• george sibbald (2/8/2010)

Its possible if you have some of its poo.

Oh yeah, plenty of s*** round here :-). Gotta make sure I use the right sample, or could recreate something horrific.

• nigel. (2/8/2010)

george sibbald (2/8/2010)

Oh yeah, plenty of s*** round here :-). Gotta make sure I use the right sample, or could recreate something horrific.

One key ingredient has been left out. Hamster poo is pretty obvious. Swallow poo is critical to the success of your restore. Make sure it is an African Swallow.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/8/2010)

nigel. (2/8/2010)

george sibbald (2/8/2010)

One key ingredient has been left out. Hamster poo is pretty obvious. Swallow poo is critical to the success of your restore. Make sure it is an African Swallow.

Jason, not in this case, this is a hamster we are trying to recover. The hamster could end up corrupted.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply