DBCC Timewarp

• A word of warning, I successfully migrated to a VM using parameter 111 (thanks Jason), but in doing so I must have crossed a time period where some logins were deleted from the master database, and all the people associated with those logins have CEASED TO EXIST.

I am a tiny bit upset, in 20 years of DBA work I have never lost an end-user before.

🙁

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I neglected a critical piece of my post - it is the sequence in which the parameters are passed to timewarp.

One must still use all of the parameters - it is just that different effects occur when different sequences are used.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• The Dixie Flatline (2/6/2010)

Totally different question: We still have to support some old tired iron that was never upgraded with Penning Traps because management didn't want to spend the money. Thankfully, the new servers we are buying all have that feature as part of the standard configuration. My question is: Will the old parameters still function correctly for recovery from future backups (no more than 2-3 months ahead) made on the new servers? If not, what are we looking at in terms of conversion/rewriting?

Any good checklist of considerations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mr Flatline, please help us to help you. If this is a homework question remember we are all volunteers here and doing this in our spare time, so show us what work you have done so far first.

We are not mind readers so more information please, your exact spacetime coordinates, the servers regional settings and whether the ions are negatively or positively charged in the penning traps. And please, which version of SQL are you using for the backups taken in the future?

• george sibbald (2/6/2010)

Mr Flatline, please help us to help you. If this is a homework question remember we are all volunteers here and doing this in our spare time, so show us what work you have done so far first.

We are not mind readers so more information please, your exact spacetime coordinates, the servers regional settings and whether the ions are negatively or positively charged in the penning traps. And please, which version of SQL are you using for the backups taken in the future?

ROTFLMAO!!!!

I destroyed my keyboard with a glass (including the liquid part) of German beer when reading it!!!

Did anyone ever tried DBCC TIMEWARP to get a destroyed keyboard back? Or does it work only with bits & bytes? If the latter: the brand name of my beer is "BIT". Would that have any influence?

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• I don't understand why you have to be so disrespectful and make this so complicated. I am a certificated past grandmaster DBA and can put many initials after my name. Both of you should respect my authority.

To answer your ridiculously nitpicky questions: The servers are in the room next to me and the time is right now (United States Central time). The future version(s) will be MySQL v225.1000 - 1115.2, or SQL Server Compact Edition. That's what it's called right? I mean they are the same thing conceptually aren't they?

You should really know that ions are all negative, because they aren't positrons or neutered trons. If you can't answer my question, hush up and let someone else do my work for me.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

I don't understand why you have to be so disrespectful and make this so complicated. I am a certificated past grandmaster DBA and can put many initials after my name. Both of you should respect my authority.

To answer your ridiculously nitpicky questions: The servers are in the room next to me and the time is right now (United States Central time). The future version(s) will be MySQL v225.1000 - 1115.2, or SQL Server Compact Edition. That's what it's called right? I mean they are the same thing conceptually aren't they?

You should really know that ions are all negative, because they aren't positrons or neutered trons. If you can't answer my question, hush up and let someone else do my work for me.

Please respect those who are volunteering to help you. If you don't you might end up with a Karma Curse.

I don't think Tron was neutered was he?

Learn Extended Events

• Fine then, Mr. Wings-On-Your-Hat-And-Feet-Man with the vaguely French name.

I'll just get my answer off Twitter.

I wave my subatomic particles at all of your nannies.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Fine then, Mr. Wings-On-Your-Hat-And-Feet-Man with the vaguely French name.

Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/6/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (2/6/2010)

Please stay focused on the subject. (This would be fulfilled by adding a reference to one of the 137 required or 255 mandatory parameter, I guess...)

Lutz

Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Lutz, if you haven't got a backup of your keyboard we can't help you.

dixie Bob, we are saintly here at SSC and have infinite patience,we know if shown the error of your ways you will see the light.

some clues as to what you need to do, see how you get on...........

SQL compact edition has limited DBCC timewarp functionality when it comes to restoring future backups so you need to upgrade to SQL 2008 R2D2.

download and install the timewarp backward compatibility tool from the SQL 2008 feature list, this will enable you to treat your new servers as if they were your old servers.

Set DBCC timewarp optional parameter 200 to -1. this will ensure all atoms in the backups will have a particle stripped and thus be negatively charged. This is the default setting on servers without the penning trap feature.

• Thank you for that helpful information, George. I apologize.

Can someone tell me if it makes a difference whether or not the new servers occupy the same racks as the old servers? I am concerned after reading Lutz' earlier comments, and the posts regarding use of DBCC TIMEWARP as a method of transferring data between systems.

It occurs to me that my company may be failing to address security concerns as well. I certainly don't want to drop any of the end users from existence... especially since one of them is ME!! :w00t:

Does anyone have any experiences or perspectives to share?

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/6/2010)

That's what I love about SQLServerCentral... you get help in the most unexpected fashion. I'm building a self unloading hardware version of DBCC TIMEWARP. I got it running but it would only restore backups made 2 minutes from now. Then I saw this post and it solved all my problems. I added a pound of Elderberries to the Klein Schmidt receiver and a pinch of hampster poo to the counter rotating deactivating enhancer (similar to a tri-pole flux capacitor) as an Oxygen desiccant and I now have a fine glass of Elderberry wine that I drank in the past and can restore backups made a full 60 minutes in the future.

I know what you're thinking and, no... I didn't get any of the hampster poo in the Elderberries. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Thank you for that helpful information, George. I apologize.

Can someone tell me if it makes a difference whether or not the new servers occupy the same racks as the old servers? I am concerned after reading Lutz' earlier comments, and the posts regarding use of DBCC TIMEWARP as a method of transferring data between systems.

It occurs to me that my company may be failing to address security concerns as well. I certainly don't want to drop any of the end users from existence... especially since one of them is ME!! :w00t:

Have you tried hampster poo?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (2/6/2010)

Thank you for that helpful information, George. I apologize.

Have you tried hampster poo?

Careful about the usage folks. If you happen to read these messages backwards... DBCC TimeWarp also performs a DBCC MindWarp on the person at the keyboard at the very moment of the command, but of course applies the MindWarp at the DESTINATION time of the warp.

Which of course explains my horrible conundrum at this time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (#4) (2/6/2010)

Careful about the usage folks. If you happen to read these messages backwards... DBCC TimeWarp also performs a DBCC MindWarp on the person at the keyboard at the very moment of the command, but of course applies the MindWarp at the DESTINATION time of the warp.

Which of course explains my horrible conundrum at this time.

I'm sure there is a parameter to modify that effect as well. I don't know if it's in the mandatory or the additional parameter block. Does anybody have an idea? Is it just a simple "Include DBCC MindWarp yes/no" parameter or can you fine tune it, eg make the mind better or worse?

Lutz

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply