DBA Interview Questions needed - Serious only please.

• plz send some interview scenarios on sql dba

• Jeff Moden (9/3/2012)

Also, have you considered doing any kind of background investigation, drug testing, etc?

Yikes! Pleased to be on a different continent:alien:

• raghu14319 (9/20/2012)

plz send some interview scenarios on sql dba

Gosh... just do a Google search and you'll get more questions and answers (caution... some are wrong!) than you can shake a stick at.

Also, heed the warnings given throughout this thread. Just because someone has memorized answers to some technical questions doesn't mean that the person will make a good DBA.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (9/21/2012)

raghu14319 (9/20/2012)

plz send some interview scenarios on sql dba

Gosh... just do a Google search and you'll get more questions and answers (caution... some are wrong!) than you can shake a stick at.

Also, heed the warnings given throughout this thread. Just because someone has memorized answers to some technical questions doesn't mean that the person will make a good DBA.

Or that they'll pass an interview.

Here's a question I frequently ask in interviews. I'll give it to you for free, because, unless you really know what you're doing, this is the one that separates the real DBAs from the wanna-be's:

You get a phone call from one the users. They tell you the database is slow. What do you do?

You answer that reasonably well, you're hired. You start talking junk, you're not.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• You get a phone call from one the users. They tell you the database is slow. What do you do?

You answer that reasonably well, you're hired. You start talking junk, you're not.

I'd start with the usual suspects like server memory, cpu, disk, network etc.... who said the real problem is with SQl Server anyway?!

am I talking junk yet or am I hired?! 😛

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• Abu Dina (9/21/2012)

You get a phone call from one the users. They tell you the database is slow. What do you do?

I'd start with the usual suspects like server memory, cpu, disk, network etc.... who said the real problem is with SQl Server anyway?!

No hints in a public forum. Follow-up question for you, what would you look for in regards to memory to tell if/why something is performing poorly?

See, this gets fun quick. I love this question.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (9/21/2012)

Abu Dina (9/21/2012)

No hints in a public forum. Follow-up question for you, what would you look for in regards to memory to tell if/why something is performing poorly?

This question could last an entire interview.............

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• Abu Dina (9/21/2012)

Grant Fritchey (9/21/2012)

Abu Dina (9/21/2012)

Exactly. This question, as far as anyone's ability and knowledge as a DBA, is the question. And then the interactions as we go along also act as a teamwork "do you fit" type of interview.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• =====UPDATE=====

We brought a guy in that indicated he was very experienced as a dba. He had lots of stuff on the resume that sounded right.

As it turns out, he freely admitted to using nefarious methods to get done what needed done rather than go through official channels to ask for access, etc. Not a good thing to say during an interview; however, it really put a cloud over the interview.

He seemed to trip all over some of the questions and we just didn't get a good feel.

Thankfully, I've been reading ya'lls stuff and decided pretty quickly he wasn't a match....

Thanks all for the help and input on this.. I'm getting quite an education into the dark underbelly of the DBA world. It's apparently not all peaches and cream....

Will post more as progress is made.

Thanks

Crusty.

• Grant Fritchey (9/21/2012)

Abu Dina (9/21/2012)

Grant Fritchey (9/21/2012)

Abu Dina (9/21/2012)

Exactly. This question, as far as anyone's ability and knowledge as a DBA, is the question. And then the interactions as we go along also act as a teamwork "do you fit" type of interview.

This is a hell of lengthy quote; however, this particular conversation deserves more discussion as I'm very interested in the details.

Thanks again people...

• Well I might get shot down for this but here goes nothing.

I'm no expert.. but if someone tells me a database is slow, I would want to check the machine running the SQL server first. I think it's a valid to find out if other applications are running on the box and hugging the memory?

..etc ...etc....

Howard Zinn

• as I said, this one question could last an entire interview.... it all depends on how nasty the interviewer wants to be!

I'm sure some expert will come along now and shoot me down and tell me I'm talking rubbish checking memory. What if the SQL Server has its own dedicated box and using max memory?

See what I mean..

Howard Zinn

• Abu Dina (9/21/2012)

as I said, this one question could last an entire interview.... it all depends on how nasty the interviewer wants to be!

I'm sure some expert will come along now and shoot me down and tell me I'm talking rubbish checking memory. What if the SQL Server has its own dedicated box and using max memory?

See what I mean..

Just to throw this out, if SQL Server had its max memory configured as default when installed, it could be starving the OS as it may not have enouh memory to run. Happened on a 64 bit test server on me. I had forgotten to set max memory to a value that gave the OS 2 GB of its own. Fun watching a server with 32 GB RAM not run because the OS was starved of memory.

• Checking memory's valid, but it would hardly be the first thing I'd do.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • ok, I have my own my knee jerk reactions for the things to review.

Grant wanted to avoid putting the answers on the forum, but i'd kind of like to see how i would stack up agaisnt other's ideas.

should i post my ideas out here or keep them to myself?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply