DBA Interview Questions needed - Serious only please.

• Perry Whittle (10/7/2012)

Jeff Moden (10/6/2012)

Someone on this thread asked what I looked for on resumes

i did 😉

Jeff Moden (10/6/2012)

and my answer was that I basically interview anyone that applies.

so you get 25 CVs and you interview the lot??

You have way to much time on your hands 🙂

Did you read the other part about usually only getting 6 or 8 candidates or the part about me reserving the right to limit the length of the interview? I've been known to stop an interview after just 2 questions.

I've also found that some people who are very smart about SQL can't write a resume to save their soul.

Jeff Moden (10/6/2012)

I will, in fact, move veterans to the top of the stack because of the training they receive in the military especially the lessons they receive in how to communicate effectively.

Sorry, but i don't subscribe to this. There are just as many people in civvy street who have the discipline and work ethos you would be looking for. I also have known many people who have been in the services and trust me you wouldn't employ them to fix your bicycle 😛

Agreed but I've found that to be the exception rather than the rule. Regardless, I'll always give people that have put themselves in harms way some additional consideration.

Let me ask, did you serve in the military, Perry?

I have read the 4 tough questions and wondering why you're so pre occupied with the t-log LSNs. What about the differential base LSN too. In reality a DBA would be restoring a differential backup and not 3 days of log backups during their restore scenario.

Someone asked for a "tough" question. I posted 4 related "tough" questions. That's all.

Also, in reality, I made the questions easier by not including differential backups. If they can't do a PIT restore using just FULL and T-Log files, why would they be able to use differentials? Question 5 would be "... And if you have Differential files, then what?"

Other questions i would be asking would be more along the lines of

• what resources would you expect to see for a typical clustered instance of SQL server?
    • list the agent jobs that are created for a Log shipping scenario and where they execute

Agreed. Good questions that I'd likely ask right after I found out if they could actually do a PIT restore. 😀

It also "Depends". We have an atypical clustering method where the DBA isn't involved at all. The infrastructure folks have a different method they're using for both local clustering and replication to the DR clusters. In the current case, I wouldn't even bother the candidate with a question on clustering or log shipping because (s)he wouldn't ever be tasked in that area. I might explain the setup to the candidate and then ask what they suppose will happen if one of the nodes is bounced for maintenance or what might happen to DR replication if a runaway query exploded the log file.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (10/6/2012)

and my answer was that I basically interview anyone that applies.

Jeff Moden (10/7/2012)

Did you read the other part about usually only getting 6 or 8 candidates or the part about me reserving the right to limit the length of the interview? I've been known to stop an interview after just 2 questions.

No, i based my reply on the quote above, so which is it all or some?

Jeff Moden (10/7/2012)

I've also found that some people who are very smart about SQL can't write a resume to save their soul.

True, but the same is true for all professions. Not just DBAs or even IT generally.

Jeff Moden (10/6/2012)

]Let me ask, did you serve in the military, Perry?

No, did you?? Not every serviceman is a grade a "sir, yes sir" recruit. As i said i have known people who have been in the forces and you wouldn't trust them with a firearm let alone your bicycle. To imply that any one who served in the forces is better than anyone else is pretty shallow tbh. There are 7 billion people on this planet and a small portion have served in the armed forces, for everyone of these guys therell be double that in civvy street who "have what it takes" to excel in IT as a DBA or indeed any other discipline.

Jeff Moden (10/7/2012)

clustering or log shipping because (s)he wouldn't ever be tasked in that area.

If a DBA installs a clustered instance of sql server and cant list the typical resources found then that in my mind is a huge shortfall. You dont use log shipping then?

Honestly i would be throwing in the diffs as i'd want to know that person could provide me with more than 1 restore path in the event of a lost or corrupted log backup. Your scenario provides only a single restore path

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (10/7/2012)

No, i based my reply on the quote above, so which is it all or some?

Like I said, I'll interview all of them even if they mispelled "SQL" on their resume. 😀 It's not a matter of me having time on my hands... it's a matter of me finding the best fit for whatever job I need to have filled even if they can't write a resume.

Perry Whittle (10/7/2012)

Jeff Moden (10/7/2012)

True, but the same is true for all professions. Not just DBAs or even IT generally.

I believe that answers the question of why I'll interview everyone. 🙂

Jeff Moden (10/6/2012)

]Let me ask, did you serve in the military, Perry?

No, did you?? Not every serviceman is a grade a "sir, yes sir" recruit. As i said i have known people who have been in the forces and you wouldn't trust them with a firearm let alone your bicycle. To imply that any one who served in the forces is better than anyone else is pretty shallow tbh. There are 7 billion people on this planet and a small portion have served in the armed forces, for everyone of these guys therell be double that in civvy street who "have what it takes" to excel in IT as a DBA or indeed any other discipline.

Like I said, I agree that not every serviceman is worth their salt. But as you've so very adequately pointed out, out of the 7 billion people on this planet, only a very small percentage has served their country in such a fashion (conscribed or volunteered). I'm certainly not looking for a "sir, yes sir" recruit. That would be a "code monkey" and if I ever need one of those, I'll start accepting resumes from the zoo. 😛 Most folks with service experience that I've had the pleasure of meeting not only know how to think outside the proverbial box, but they also know how to communicate problems quickly and effectively. Yes, I agree that there are "civies" that have what it takes but I'll give someone with service experience the extra "break" because they've been in harms way. I'd do so even if I didn't have service experience myself.

Jeff Moden (10/7/2012)

clustering or log shipping because (s)he wouldn't ever be tasked in that area.

If a DBA installs a clustered instance of sql server and cant list the typical resources found then that in my mind is a huge shortfall. You dont use log shipping then?

No question about it. If the DBA installs a clustered instance, (s)he'd better be able to do as you say. But, in our company, the DBA doesn't do that and SQL Server clustering isn't what is being used. I'm not 100% sure how it all works because I've not done a deep dive on it but they also have a system that creates its own logs and it captures every byte that changes on the server for DR purposes where most people might use log shipping.

Honestly i would be throwing in the diffs as i'd want to know that person could provide me with more than 1 restore path in the event of a lost or corrupted log backup. Your scenario provides only a single restore path

I'm not sure you reading the answers to the questions you've asked, Perry. Did I not say that if they answered the 4 questions on full PIT restores that the 5th question would include differentials?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I don't know if this is still an open issue or not, but if it is and you want help interviewing and identifying the right candidate, I know an independent consultant who offers this as a service. I can give you her contact info if you want.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• UPDATE!!!

Ok... We interviewed 2 candidates that seemed to have plenty of exp. C1 had 17 years of verifiable exp, checked his references, etc. Candidate 2 had FIVE MS CERT's related to MS DBA and Sysadmin work in SQL Server 2008 and MS Server/Networking apps. On top of that, she has 2 Masters in technology fields, and a BS in CIS... I got her MS Transcript, and we verified her graduate degrees. She blew us away... I asked her the following question:

"Imagine an environment that currently has no DBA. No User Profiles. People using SA account. No Dev environments. I'm going to give you the key to the cabinet and you go do your thing. Where do you start?"

She talked for 12 minutes and wow can she talk. She then started asking questions about our hardware to which the boss was ready. He started answering the questions and they got into a back and forth. Then she started asking me questions about the database environment and started drawing conclusions. "So you have X and Y, but not Z? You probably have A, but not B, and maybe C?" She started asking questions about our previous migrations which the boss was able to answer... Then she zero'd in on a problem with the current hardware/software config that the boss is trying to get cleared up. She started making recommendations which the boss wrote down and then checked out.... she was dead on.

I said it was hypothetical and she turned it on us and started doing her job.... I'm not a DBA, but I recognized enough of what she was saying to realize she knew what she was doing.

She likes our small company environment. Family feel, fun, relaxed... another company offered her a lot more money. She says the environment is important, and so are the Bennies... I can only hope at this point......

• CptCrusty1 (10/18/2012)

UPDATE!!!

Ok... We interviewed 2 candidates that seemed to have plenty of exp. C1 had 17 years of verifiable exp, checked his references, etc. Candidate 2 had FIVE MS CERT's related to MS DBA and Sysadmin work in SQL Server 2008 and MS Server/Networking apps. On top of that, she has 2 Masters in technology fields, and a BS in CIS... I got her MS Transcript, and we verified her graduate degrees. She blew us away... I asked her the following question:

"Imagine an environment that currently has no DBA. No User Profiles. People using SA account. No Dev environments. I'm going to give you the key to the cabinet and you go do your thing. Where do you start?"

She talked for 12 minutes and wow can she talk. She then started asking questions about our hardware to which the boss was ready. He started answering the questions and they got into a back and forth. Then she started asking me questions about the database environment and started drawing conclusions. "So you have X and Y, but not Z? You probably have A, but not B, and maybe C?" She started asking questions about our previous migrations which the boss was able to answer... Then she zero'd in on a problem with the current hardware/software config that the boss is trying to get cleared up. She started making recommendations which the boss wrote down and then checked out.... she was dead on.

I said it was hypothetical and she turned it on us and started doing her job.... I'm not a DBA, but I recognized enough of what she was saying to realize she knew what she was doing.

She likes our small company environment. Family feel, fun, relaxed... another company offered her a lot more money. She says the environment is important, and so are the Bennies... I can only hope at this point......

Sounds great. Good luck.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

UPDATE!!!

Ok... We interviewed 2 candidates that seemed to have plenty of exp. C1 had 17 years of verifiable exp, checked his references, etc. Candidate 2 had FIVE MS CERT's related to MS DBA and Sysadmin work in SQL Server 2008 and MS Server/Networking apps. On top of that, she has 2 Masters in technology fields, and a BS in CIS... I got her MS Transcript, and we verified her graduate degrees. She blew us away...

C2 sounds smart and well read, but how many years on job related experience do they have?

The real world can be messy, vague, uncooperative, and best options are not always available. The true test of any professional is their adaptability and resolve in less than ideal circumstances.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (10/18/2012)

CptCrusty1 (10/18/2012)

UPDATE!!!

Ok... We interviewed 2 candidates that seemed to have plenty of exp. C1 had 17 years of verifiable exp, checked his references, etc. Candidate 2 had FIVE MS CERT's related to MS DBA and Sysadmin work in SQL Server 2008 and MS Server/Networking apps. On top of that, she has 2 Masters in technology fields, and a BS in CIS... I got her MS Transcript, and we verified her graduate degrees. She blew us away...

C2 sounds smart and well read, but how many years on job related experience do they have?

The real world can be messy, vague, uncooperative, and best options are not always available. The true test of any professional is their adaptability and resolve in less than ideal circumstances.

Eric,

She has 9 yrs exp post BS degree, 4 post 2nd Masters. Certs were all done in 2010. Her CV spoke to the problem we had so she has the experience with the same problems we currently have. She identified well with the bosses questions re: systems infrastructure.

UPDATE!!!

Did she suggest a "lockdown/control" plan and a plan to effectively create a Dev environment?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Master Moden,

Absolutely she did... she rolled her eyes as dramatically as possible at the answers to her questions in that area.

Alas... She took a different offer. We have a hard time competing with Oil and Gas salaries....

Crusty.

• CptCrusty1 (10/19/2012)

Master Moden,

Absolutely she did... she rolled her eyes as dramatically as possible at the answers to her questions in that area.

Alas... She took a different offer. We have a hard time competing with Oil and Gas salaries....

Crusty.

From what you've described, she's a goldmine of good ideas and open about sharing them. Even if she does take another job offer, ask her if she'd be interested in providing a few hours a month of consulting and design work with you guys on the side.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• CptCrusty1 (10/19/2012)

Master Moden,

Crusty.

Heh... so much for really liking a "family-like environment". 😛 That's really too bad... from your description, she sounds rock solid both in the DBA world and in her ability to communicate.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply