DB Restore is very slow ....

• Jeff Moden wrote:

frederico_fonseca wrote:

thanks guys - I forgot about the number of VLF - one would expect that these days where this is well known fact that any DBA has already set that correctly for any big database

I totally agree that should be common knowledge... but look at some of the other questions that people working with big databases are asking.  It's actually pretty spooky and is also reflected during interviews I've been in both on the employer's side of the table and the candidate side of the table.  As a candidate (it's been quite a while since I was one), I've actually had interviewers insist (for example) that rCTEs are a "Best Practice" for incrementally creating sequences of numbers.  And what I see on supposed "expert" blogs just scares the bejeezus out of me, especially since "Comments are closed" on a whole lot of them.

I'm to the point where nothing surprises me during interviews, on forums, or on "expert" blogs anymore but I'm positive they'll find a way. 😀

A few years ago I was interviewing someone for a team lead position - SSIS team.  So asked what should be a basic question at that level - "can you tell me what type of containers exist". Reply was "I don't know what a container is".

A few more like this and it was pretty clear that the individual didn't know more than the really basics about SSIS.

But I love it when we ask 2-3 questions and the quality of the replies just make it clear that you are dealing with someone that does know what it is all about and the interview just turns into an informal chat rather than an interview.

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

frederico_fonseca wrote:

thanks guys - I forgot about the number of VLF - one would expect that these days where this is well known fact that any DBA has already set that correctly for any big database

I totally agree that should be common knowledge... but look at some of the other questions that people working with big databases are asking.  It's actually pretty spooky and is also reflected during interviews I've been in both on the employer's side of the table and the candidate side of the table.  As a candidate (it's been quite a while since I was one), I've actually had interviewers insist (for example) that rCTEs are a "Best Practice" for incrementally creating sequences of numbers.  And what I see on supposed "expert" blogs just scares the bejeezus out of me, especially since "Comments are closed" on a whole lot of them.

I'm to the point where nothing surprises me during interviews, on forums, or on "expert" blogs anymore but I'm positive they'll find a way. 😀

A few years ago I was interviewing someone for a team lead position - SSIS team.  So asked what should be a basic question at that level - "can you tell me what type of containers exist". Reply was "I don't know what a container is".

A few more like this and it was pretty clear that the individual didn't know more than the really basics about SSIS.

But I love it when we ask 2-3 questions and the quality of the replies just make it clear that you are dealing with someone that does know what it is all about and the interview just turns into an informal chat rather than an interview.

I, too, would fail questions about containers.  I just don't use them and have necessarily concentrated my efforts and studies on other areas.

So far as SSIS goes, one of my jobs in a previous life was to replace SSIS packages with stored procedures so we could dismantle all SSIS instances.  It was one of my greatest joys! 😀

I totally agree that quality replies are a wonderful thing (and even an "I don't know because I've never done it" answer would be refreshing instead of all the BS people come up with).  Sadly, I've only had the pleasure of candidates responding with quality replies on 2 occasions that I can actually remember.  Most of the time, I never get to the medium knowledge questions, never mind anything at the "been there, done that, here's how to do it" expert level.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks everyone for the help.

• vsamantha35 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the help.

You're welcome but what have you ended up doing?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply