DB corrupted with event 17052 and Error: 823, Severity: 24, State: 2

• GilaMonster (9/13/2011)

halifaxdal (9/13/2011)

GilaMonster (9/13/2011)

Run SP_configure and set allow updates to 1. Update sysdatabases for that database and set the status to 32767.

Then see if you can access the DB and run checkdb. Not repair, just with the no_infomsgs and all_errormsgs options.

There's far more wrong here than just a suspect DB. You've got access violations all over the error log. This is one sick server. I'd suggest calling CSS, but SQL 2000 is out of support so they won't help you.

Your also running on a very low service pack of SQL 2000. SQL 8.0.818. Offhand I don't know what service pack that is, but it's not the last one available. I strongly suggest you patch that server to the latest service pack and consider an upgrade to 2008.

I certainly will try your advise and for sure I will upgrade it to 08/05 if I will be designated to take over this server/db, for now, I just want to try my best effort to see how much I can get the data back.

818 is SP2, can't believe it, eh? Me too.

p.s. That should not be done on the production server...

I wish I don't have to do this on prod, unfortunately now it's the prod that crashed, and no backup elsewhere, so other than doing this directly on prod, what can I do?:hehe:

• Denali's coming out in a few months if you can wait it out :Whistling:

As much I am aware about denali, you cant upgrade sql 2000 database to denali directly. You need to upgrade it to either 2005 or 2008 and then denali.

Microsoft gives the explanation for this:- We expect your environment should be upgraded to at least 2005 by now.

----------
    Ashish

• Denali's coming out in a few months if you can wait it out :Whistling:

That would be probably next year!

Those guys are chasing me and expecting me to make it working in one day!:crying:

• halifaxdal (9/13/2011)

Denali's coming out in a few months if you can wait it out :Whistling:

Those guys are chasing me and expecting me to make it working in one day!:crying:

Time for a meeting about the sla, rpo & rto and buying more disk space and allotting the time you need to setup DR all over the place.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (9/13/2011)

halifaxdal (9/13/2011)

GilaMonster (9/13/2011)

Run SP_configure and set allow updates to 1. Update sysdatabases for that database and set the status to 32767.

Then see if you can access the DB and run checkdb. Not repair, just with the no_infomsgs and all_errormsgs options.

can you elaborate? i thought before SP_configure i have to be in that db, and it won't let me in that db. meaning the following won't work? or I just need to use in master?

use sels

go

sp_configure 'Allow updates',1

go

• crazy4sql (9/13/2011)

As much I am aware about denali, you cant upgrade sql 2000 database to denali directly. You need to upgrade it to either 2005 or 2008 and then denali.

Microsoft gives the explanation for this:- We expect your environment should be upgraded to at least 2005 by now.

ya, i would be more conservative now, 05 is good enough for me

halifaxdal (9/13/2011)

Time for a meeting about the sla, rpo & rto and buying more disk space and allotting the time you need to setup DR all over the place.

absolutely!

BTW: for db like this size (800G and grew to this from 3G in 4 years), what's everyone's advise in terms of admin and performance optimization? I would like to hear from this. Thanks.:-)

• Get Gail in for a consult. Can't be done over forums.

Get Gail in for a consult. Can't be done over forums.

I would love to, but if that costs any expense, then I personally can't make it.;-)

• halifaxdal (9/13/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (9/13/2011)

Get Gail in for a consult. Can't be done over forums.

I would love to, but if that costs any expense, then I personally can't make it.;-)

Then wait 400 years untill mankind lives without money and all will be good.

In the meantime, learn this stuff or ask more precise questions :-D.

• Then wait 400 years untill mankind lives without money and all will be good.

I would really very much like to have money to spend, I just don't see the chance it will get approved by a top 5 bank

I personally feel I owe you guys and will surely invite you for a traditional Chinese brunch if I had the opportunity. That's very yummy......:-P

Sure

• halifaxdal (9/13/2011)

Then wait 400 years untill mankind lives without money and all will be good.

I would really very much like to have money to spend, I just don't see the chance it will get approved by a top 5 bank

I personally feel I owe you guys and will surely invite you for a traditional Chinese brunch if I had the opportunity. That's very yummy......:-P

Sure

The meal is nice. That's the airfare that's going to kill ya ;-).

• OK, back to the topic, it would be greatly appreciated if you can watch this more like a realtime, I will be having a conf with the original db's tech owner at 10am, I will post update from him here

• halifaxdal (9/13/2011)

OK, back to the topic, it would be greatly appreciated if you can watch this more like a realtime, I will be having a conf with the original db's tech owner at 10am, I will post update from him here

What do you mean realtime?

• A backup room is being seeked and hopefully we find it so we don't have to do the fix on the real prod server

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply