Database Snapshot

• steve block (11/9/2010)

I too chose None of the Above (interpreting that it meant ("it depends") because system databases are excluded from Database Snapshots. If you follow the logic that all Simple recovery model databases can have a Database Snapshot, you would infer that Master, Model and Msdb can have a Database Snapshot, which they cannot.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I suppose my beef is that too many of these QOTD's are trick questions and you have to think of every possibility and this time I did it properly and selected the None of the Above and got it wrong. I think that was unfair because the answer I selected, for the same reason you mentioned, is a better answer than just selecting "True" because you cannot snapshot the system databases.

• Hugo Kornelis (11/9/2010)

Nice, easy question.

I was wondering about the inclusion of the "none of the above" option. Was this just a joke from the question author, or will people actually choose this answer? (at this time, none have - 56% True, 44% False, 0% None of the above).

Hugo, 24 out of 600 (4%) replies did choose none of the above option.

So, putting this option is now justified.

SQL DBA.

• cengland0 (11/9/2010)

That, in my opinion, means that "True" cannot be the correct answer to this question and I already know that "False" was wrong. The only other option was "None of the Above" which I thought would mean "It depends on which database."

This is why the ESP of the day was ruining the Question of the Day. Now people are selecting the wrong answer for an easy question because they are looking for the grammer mistake or the "trick".

BTW: I read the books online and the exact same sentance is there that is in the question.

Note

All recovery models support database snapshots.

• I almost forgot!

I give this question fife stars for knot havings any type o's and shows correct referance meaterials and knowledge of feartures.

I give it an extra star for the inclusion of the "None Of the Above" selection.

Genious! :smooooth:

• This was Question Direct from BOL, I have used same sentence as in BOL, Do you still think, its a grammer mistake.

• janki_2886 (11/9/2010)

This was Question Direct from BOL, I have used same sentence as in BOL, Do you still think, its a grammer mistake.

Not saying it's a grammar mistake. I'm saying that the answer is neither True nor False but you have selected True as the only correct answer. The correct answer should be marked as "Depends" because there are some databases that you cannot take snapshots of regardless of the recovery model.

To prove my point, try to make a snapshot of the tempdb database. It's in the simple recovery model. If you can take that snapshot, then I will agree that True is the correct answer. Unfortunately you will not be able to so that's why I'm saying the "None of the Above" should be the correct answer (given the only three possible selections).

• cengland0 (11/9/2010)

janki_2886 (11/9/2010)

This was Question Direct from BOL, I have used same sentence as in BOL, Do you still think, its a grammer mistake.

Not saying it's a grammar mistake. I'm saying that the answer is neither True nor False but you have selected True as the only correct answer. The correct answer should be marked as "Depends" because there are some databases that you cannot take snapshots of regardless of the recovery model.

To prove my point, try to make a snapshot of the tempdb database. It's in the simple recovery model. If you can take that snapshot, then I will agree that True is the correct answer. Unfortunately you will not be able to so that's why I'm saying the "None of the Above" should be the correct answer (given the only three possible selections).

Create a database called "TestDB" with the simple recovery model. You can take a snapshot from this database. What is your point? The question was about snapshots vs recovery models, not about snapshots vs system databases.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• cengland0 (11/9/2010)

janki_2886 (11/9/2010)

That's faulty logic. The question was about whether the simple recovery mode supports database snapshots. Can you create a user database in simple mode that then has a database snapshot? You can? Then the recovery model supports it. Just because there is a different category that does not support it doesn't invalidate the logic. System databases do not support snapshots, and those are accidentally simple recovery mode. What you are saying is that ALL simple mode databases must support snapshots for it to valid to say that "simple recovery mode supports snapshots." Far too exclusionary a restriction. There are exactly four (or five depending upon how you count) databases, none made by a user, that don't support snapshots. All others, however many you come up with, are candidates.

If the QotD has become THIS picky to make people THIS paranoid on answering, then maybe it's gotten a bit over the top. The natural interpretation is the best and is an answer of "True".

• Thanks for the question.

• cengland0 (11/9/2010)

Hugo Kornelis (11/9/2010)

Nice, easy question.

I was wondering about the inclusion of the "none of the above" option. Was this just a joke from the question author, or will people actually choose this answer? (at this time, none have - 56% True, 44% False, 0% None of the above).

I'm one of those that selected None of the Above. That was because it has nothing to do with recovery models. The model, master, and tempdb databases are prohibited from having snapshots. That, in my opinion, means that "True" cannot be the correct answer to this question and I already know that "False" was wrong. The only other option was "None of the Above" which I thought would mean "It depends on which database."

I agree cengland0, database snapshots really have nothing to do with just the relation of the Recovery model, because all of the current recovery models support them.So, it's a moot point really. However, using database snapahots is very dependent on whether the source database is a user database versus a system database, that is relevant. The question is either a little tricky, or so obvious it's like asking what denominations of currency currently printed by the federal governmant can banks support? Well duh, all of them. Dumb question as stated IMHO 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• cengland0 (11/9/2010)

I'm saying that the answer is neither True nor False but you have selected True as the only correct answer.

Lets try this logic on DB Backups...

If I create a database and set it to Simple recovery I can Back it up. I can not backup the TemDB database. So I guess none of my database backups are working?

The questions and the answer are a cut and paste from the books online.

The only original part of this question is the incorrect answer of "None of the above".

I salute the author for making a simple question exciting.

• SanDroid (11/9/2010)

cengland0 (11/9/2010)

I'm saying that the answer is neither True nor False but you have selected True as the only correct answer.

Lets try this logic on DB Backups...

If I create a database and set it to Simple recovery I can Back it up. I can not backup the TemDB database. So I guess none of my database backups are working?

The questions and the answer are a cut and paste from the books online.

The only original part of this question is the incorrect answer of "None of the above".

I salute the author for making a simple question exciting.

Well, let's try this logic, BOL never has put out confusing or erroneous information in the past? 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (11/9/2010)

Well, let's try this logic, BOL never has put out confusing or erroneous information in the past? 😀

More Science Logic: Since you and cengland0 do not like this simple question or it's elegant answer then you must be the ones writing the real trick QOTD's with bad un-executable code and grammer errors that have more than one right answer.

I doubt that is a true statement. Must be None of the above.... :crazy:

• SanDroid (11/9/2010)

TravisDBA (11/9/2010)

More Science Logic: Since you and cengland0 do not like this simple question or it's elegant answer then you must be the ones writing the real trick QOTD's with bad un-executable code and grammer errors that have more than one right answer.

I doubt that is a true statement. Must be None of the above.... :crazy:

Yeah right, that makes sense.:-P

• @OLD Hand : If its a dumb question, then why are you wasting your precious time , in the discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply