Database Snapshot

• janki_2886 (11/9/2010)

This was Question Direct from BOL, I have used same sentence as in BOL, Do you still think, its a grammer mistake.

There are hundreds of statements you could cut and paste from BOL, that doesn't make them a good QotD.

Also, please don't start a grammar debate. :rolleyes:

But either way, i thank the author and those that posted comments as i learned something today, i was not aware that you can't take a snapshot of a system database. (Not knowing that helped me click true 🙂 )

• janki_2886 (11/9/2010)

@OLD Hand : If its a dumb question, then why are you wasting your precious time , in the discussion

So peope will take careful pause the next time they post a question taken right from BOL, as we all have to do, and realize that just because something is posted literally in BOL at one point in the article does not automatically mean that it is always 100% correct, applicable, or suitable for the QOTD as stated in BOL. This is where a little research and forethought comes in handy beforehand. For example, the statement you provided from BOL does say that in a NOTE early in the article. However, if you would have read a little further down, that earlier note has a caveat to it with this statement "Snapshots of the model, master, and tempdb databases are prohibited. " BOL now amends this earlier note with this exception regardless of the recovery model. BOL does this kind of stuff all the time. IMHO, what BOL should have accurately stated in that earlier note was "All recovery models for all user and the msdb databases support database snapshots." This is why it is so important that the entire article be taken in to context when reading or quoting BOL. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• @OLD Hand: My Only intention, was to post a easy question(which , according to u was a dumb question),so that everyone can answer that. Not all of them are as genius as you. Apart From this I did provided resource to refer too. This was my very first post and i don't think i have choose a wrong question or bad answer options.

Sometimes, Knowing So much makes a easy question, most difficult one.

What if the same question was asked in any of the certifications exams??

There is No Such Rule: To Put a hard question or not to put any question directly from BOL. If it would have been they would have not publish question or just rejected this question when i posted it.

• janki_2886 (11/10/2010)

@OLD Hand: My Only intention, was to post a easy question(which , according to u was a dumb question),so that everyone can answer that. Not all of them are as genius as you. Apart From this I did provided resource to refer too. This was my very first post and i don't think i have choose a wrong question or bad answer options.

Sometimes, Knowing So much makes a easy question, most difficult one.

What if the same question was asked in any of the certifications exams??

There is No Such Rule: To Put a hard question or not to put any question directly from BOL. If it would have been they would have not publish question or just rejected this question when i posted it.

Just a side mark:

old hand is not the person's nickname. It is a status derived from the number of points the person has on this website (points for answering QotD + points for forum posts). Your status for example is Valued Member, for the moment. If you refer to Old Hand, we have no idea to who you are actually referring to.

The actual nickname is above this status, or if there is a picture, above the picture, displayed in bold. Thus, the real nickname of "Old Hand" is TravisDBA.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• TravisDBA (11/10/2010)

So peope will take careful pause the next time they post a question taken right from BOL, as we all have to do, and realize that just because something is posted literally in BOL at one point in the article does not automatically mean that it is always 100% correct, applicable, or suitable for the QOTD as stated in BOL.

Travis? really? Do you beat you children with that whip also?

Nice way to treat the new guy. Can't wait till your next QOTD.

I think I can see the flames from here already....:crazy:

• SanDroid (11/10/2010)

TravisDBA (11/10/2010)

So peope will take careful pause the next time they post a question taken right from BOL, as we all have to do, and realize that just because something is posted literally in BOL at one point in the article does not automatically mean that it is always 100% correct, applicable, or suitable for the QOTD as stated in BOL.

Travis? really? Do you beat you children with that whip also?

Nice way to treat the new guy. Can't wait till your next QOTD.

I think I can see the flames from here already....:crazy:

You're missing the point. My point is don't take individual single BOL statements literally. You have to read the whole article first and take the entire article in context before posting a possible misleading and confusing question to QOTD. That applies to everyone, not just one person, regardless of number of posts a person has. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• There is no grey area on this.

As far as recovery models are concerned the are all supported by DB snapshot.

This IS a question on the MS SQL DBA exam and you would have missed it if you marked it anything other than True.

Get a grip Travis and stop trying to confuse others into making mistakes on simple easy answers. :satisfied:

• I agree that the question is good, and TRUE is the correct answer. The question is "All Recovery Models support Database Snapshots." which is true, as they do. However not all databases support database snapshots.

The question wasn't "You can create a database snapshot of any database regardless of the recovery model." or "All Databases support Database Snapshots."

• for more info :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189940.aspx

• This was a good question, with a clearly correct answer.

All the suggestions that "none of the above" is the correct answer surprised me, and the absolutely illogical arguments supporting that position surprised me even more. It seems to me that people fell into an obvious error, and did itsolely because they were looking for a non-existent trick in the question: multivalued logics are far better than two valued logics in many circumstances, but you have to decide what the values other than "true" and "false" mean and if you don't have meanings for those values you don't have a meaningful multivalued logic - and it seems quite clear from the arguments presented that there was no attempt to assign any particular meaning to any truth value that was "none of the above".

It might be arguable that because the recovery model has nothing to do with supporting database snapshots the correct answer should be "false" because it is not the recovery model that actually supports it but something else, but it is absolute nonsense to conclude that because there are some databases which don't permit database snapshot the correct answer is neither "true" nor "false".

Tom

• I choose the "None of the above" option for a reason I haven't seen mentioned yet: snapshots are an Enterprise/Developer edition only feature. Therefore, on lower versions of SQL Server, no recovery model supports them.

• Thanks for the question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I choose the "None of the above" option too for same reason I haven't seen mentioned yet: snapshots are an Enterprise/Developer edition only feature. More it was never said what type of SQL Server was concerned 2000, 2005, 2008 or even SQL 7 ?

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply