Database Size

• Just checked on my two 2008 and one 2005 installations, and all three report 3 + 1 for a new database.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Normal chaos will be resumed as soon as possible. :crazy:

• The 2 + 1 or 3 +1 or n + n arguments are totally irrelevant.

The answer is the same size as the model database. And the size of the model database is determined by the dba.

• timfle (1/21/2010)

The 2 + 1 or 3 +1 or n + n arguments are totally irrelevant.

The answer is the same size as the model database. And the size of the model database is determined by the dba.

That would have been the best answer. Anything else could be true/correct, thus making this one a very tricky question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hi,

I have two instances of SQL Server 2005 on the same W2K3 machine, and at least I myself never played around with the model database. (And it is unlikely someone else did.)

The model database of the test instance is 3+1 MB in size (MDF+LDF) in size, which seems to be something many people in the forum have seen as well.

In the production instance, however, the size is 3+20(!) MB. Is it possible that the model database changes its log file size over time? Maybe as a result of some backup/reorg/shrink/... operations?

I want my points baaaaack! :crying:

Best regards,
    Dietmar Weickert.

• CirquedeSQLeil (1/21/2010)

timfle (1/21/2010)

That would have been the best answer.

No, it would not. The size of the newly created log file will not be equal to the size of the model's one... Please check the previous discussion.

• psm-983793 (1/21/2010)

Hi,

On my Developer edition both 2005 and 2008 come up with 3MB and 1MB.

Windows 7 x64

Cheers,

Peter

2 MB mdf, 3 MB ldf here, and I know I haven't fiddled with model on my dev server.

On my SQL 2000 server it's 2 MB mdf, 14 MB ldf, on another it's 1/1. All created by right clicking in SSMS and choosing NEW DATABASE and looking at the defaulted in values.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• david.wright-948385 (1/21/2010)

I bet this will turn out to be another "the intention of QOD is to make people think" or "you can't comment on this if you haven't submitted a QOD" argument 🙂

It better not. If that were the case, it shouldn't have had 4 numeric answers.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA

• My 2005 also gives 3/1

• mtassin (1/21/2010)

psm-983793 (1/21/2010)

Hi,

On my Developer edition both 2005 and 2008 come up with 3MB and 1MB.

Windows 7 x64

Cheers,

Peter

2 MB mdf, 3 MB ldf here, and I know I haven't fiddled with model on my dev server.

On my SQL 2000 server it's 2 MB mdf, 14 MB ldf, on another it's 1/1. All created by right clicking in SSMS and choosing NEW DATABASE and looking at the defaulted in values.

Have you checked model to see if that is how it is configured on each of the systems? You may not have fiddled with model, but someone else may have.

• Lynn Pettis (1/21/2010)

Have you checked model to see if that is how it is configured on each of the systems? You may not have fiddled with model, but someone else may have.

On my local machine SQL 2k5 Dev (which was the one that I was sure hadn't been fiddled with), nobody has rights to fiddle with it other than me, and I haven't... haven't had a reason to. It's set to a happy 2/3 size. With 3.44 MB of size available per the properties tab.

On the production servers I'm sure its been fiddled with. 2/14 on the one server and 1/.25 on the other. Doesn't change the fact that chosing numeric answers with no qualifying was a poor way to write the answers to this question of the day. 🙂

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA

• Actually, the initial size of the database is the size specified in the model database.

• mtassin (1/21/2010)

Lynn Pettis (1/21/2010)

On my local machine SQL 2k5 Dev (which was the one that I was sure hadn't been fiddled with), nobody has rights to fiddle with it other than me, and I haven't... haven't had a reason to. It's set to a happy 2/3 size. With 3.44 MB of size available per the properties tab.

On the production servers I'm sure its been fiddled with. 2/14 on the one server and 1/.25 on the other. Doesn't change the fact that chosing numeric answers with no qualifying was a poor way to write the answers to this question of the day. 🙂

Didn't say it was, just curious if you compared what was created with how model was configured.

I'm not getting into this one. I selected the correct answer without hesitating.

• Lynn Pettis (1/21/2010)

I selected the correct answer without hesitating.

How'd you do that without knowing which version of SQL Server it was asking about, or whether the model database had been changed!

• david.wright-948385 (1/21/2010)

Lynn Pettis (1/21/2010)

I selected the correct answer without hesitating.

How'd you do that without knowing which version of SQL Server it was asking about, or whether the model database had been changed!

First, didn't read anything into the question that wasn't there. Second, gut feeling and previous experince. Most of the databases I have created at home in a test system came up 3 MB in size if I didn't specify sizes, so I did assume a default.

• Hugo Kornelis (1/21/2010)

I don't often agree with the poeple complaining about the quality of the QotD (though after having written some of them myself, I probably am more qualified to do so;-)), but in this case I'll make an exception. This question reallly is way below par.

Hear, hear. Thank God for all you guys and gals discussing this one to death, else I would never have learned about a roundoff factor when the new db is created based on "model" :-).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply