Cycling the error log

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Cycling the error log

• I must avoid answering questions before breakfast - I didn't notice the boxes were squareinstead of round so only ticked what I would actually do - run sp_recycle_errorlog; restarting the instance is a somewhat more expensive solution.

Tom

• question should have stated select more than one

• I hate answers like "You must restart the SQL Server instance" (emphasis is mine) on multiple choice question especially when there is more than one choice because you don't actually have to restart the SQL Server instance.  Patently, it is NOT a "MUST".  This is why I hate tests.  The answers are misleading. 

I got the answers right but only because I forced myself to ignore the words "You MUST".

There's also a 3rd option and that's to bounce the whole server, not just the instance.  It's important to know that because that will frequently be required when you do Windows Updates.  Then, I suppose you could get into the semantics of that also causing the instance to "bounce".

I hate tests because the questions are either written incorrectly, the answers are written incorrectly, or the author of the questions is more intent on trying to trick the test taker out of the correct answers than finding out if the test taker knows the correct answers. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Yes I think you should have said you can restart SQL Server instead of Must restart otherwise this implies it is the only option.

Nice question to think about. I liked that you didn't say how many answer were correct though.

• Given that the question says "You have just started a job ..." to me that implies I wouldn't want to restart anything

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, April 2, 2017 8:58 PM

I hate answers like "You must restart the SQL Server instance" (emphasis is mine) on multiple choice question especially when there is more than one choice because you don't actually have to restart the SQL Server instance.  Patently, it is NOT a "MUST".  This is why I hate tests.  The answers are misleading. 

I got the answers right but only because I forced myself to ignore the words "You MUST".

There's also a 3rd option and that's to bounce the whole server, not just the instance.  It's important to know that because that will frequently be required when you do Windows Updates.  Then, I suppose you could get into the semantics of that also causing the instance to "bounce".

I hate tests because the questions are either written incorrectly, the answers are written incorrectly, or the author of the questions is more intent on trying to trick the test taker out of the correct answers than finding out if the test taker knows the correct answers. 😉

I agree completely. 

The fact that there is more than one way invalidates the MUST part and should make it incorrect (IMHO)...simply because you DO NOT have to do that.

Cheers

• Poorly worded question, and the MUST invalidates that answer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• Maybe that's wrong I understand, but it feels like a belated April Fools prank...😉

• TomThomson - Sunday, April 2, 2017 3:42 AM

I must avoid answering questions before breakfast - I didn't notice the boxes were squareinstead of round so only ticked what I would actually do - run sp_recycle_errorlog; restarting the instance is a somewhat more expensive solution.

Arghhhhh!  Same thing here!

And, because it's a poorlywordedquestionwithoutchoose2andambigouosanswers i think SSC should buy everyone who got it wrong new cars!

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• prvmine - Sunday, April 2, 2017 2:10 PM

question should have stated select more than one

Apologies. I try to remember to always do this. I've corrected the question.

I hate answers like "You must restart the SQL Server instance" (emphasis is mine) on multiple choice question especially when there is more than one choice because you don't actually have to restart the SQL Server instance.  Patently, it is NOT a "MUST".  This is why I hate tests.  The answers are misleading. 

No trick intended. Not sure why I wrote "must". I think I got some semantic complaint about verbiage and wanted to list two separate, non-related answers.

Bouncing a host/OS does restart the instance. No semantics here. The instance stops on reboot, then starts after boot.

• Michael L John - Monday, April 3, 2017 6:24 AM

TomThomson - Sunday, April 2, 2017 3:42 AM

I must avoid answering questions before breakfast - I didn't notice the boxes were squareinstead of round so only ticked what I would actually do - run sp_recycle_errorlog; restarting the instance is a somewhat more expensive solution.

Arghhhhh!  Same thing here!

And, because it's a poorlywordedquestionwithoutchoose2andambigouosanswers i think SSC should buy everyone who got it wrong new cars!

I don't know that such a simple thing warrants a new car, but let me know if the PO is generated. 😉

• simon.wright 24912 - Monday, April 3, 2017 3:14 AM

Given that the question says "You have just started a job ..." to me that implies I wouldn't want to restart anything

Sorry, job as in employment, not job as in Agent job. My mistake

+1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply