Cycling the error log

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, April 3, 2017 7:12 AM

Jeff Moden - Sunday, April 2, 2017 8:58 PM

I hate answers like "You must restart the SQL Server instance" (emphasis is mine) on multiple choice question especially when there is more than one choice because you don't actually have to restart the SQL Server instance.  Patently, it is NOT a "MUST".  This is why I hate tests.  The answers are misleading. 

I got the answers right but only because I forced myself to ignore the words "You MUST".

There's also a 3rd option and that's to bounce the whole server, not just the instance.  It's important to know that because that will frequently be required when you do Windows Updates.  Then, I suppose you could get into the semantics of that also causing the instance to "bounce".

I hate tests because the questions are either written incorrectly, the answers are written incorrectly, or the author of the questions is more intent on trying to trick the test taker out of the correct answers than finding out if the test taker knows the correct answers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

No trick intended. Not sure why I wrote "must". I think I got some semantic complaint about verbiage and wanted to list two separate, non-related answers.

Bouncing a host/OS does restart the instance. No semantics here. The instance stops on reboot, then starts after boot.

Heh... thanks, Steve.  I also get that someone is always going to complain about something on these things.  It did bring back memories of some tests and surveys I've taken in the past.

No matter what, though... Thank you for what you do on this site.  You're the best.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Monday, April 3, 2017 7:40 AM

Heh... thanks, Steve.  I also get that someone is always going to complain about something on these things.  It did bring back memories of some tests and surveys I've taken in the past.

No matter what, though... Thank you for what you do on this site.  You're the best.

Cheers, Mr Moden.

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, April 2, 2017 8:58 PM

I hate answers like "You must restart the SQL Server instance" (emphasis is mine) on multiple choice question especially when there is more than one choice because you don't actually have to restart the SQL Server instance.  Patently, it is NOT a "MUST".  This is why I hate tests.  The answers are misleading. 

I got the answers right but only because I forced myself to ignore the words "You MUST".

+1

You must is a red herring imho. That is like saying there is no other option. Additionally, it is such a last resort kind of thing to do.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• m mcdonald - Monday, April 3, 2017 5:06 AM

Jeff Moden - Sunday, April 2, 2017 8:58 PM

There's also a 3rd option and that's to bounce the whole server, not just the instance.  It's important to know that because that will frequently be required when you do Windows Updates.  Then, I suppose you could get into the semantics of that also causing the instance to "bounce".

I hate tests because the questions are either written incorrectly, the answers are written incorrectly, or the author of the questions is more intent on trying to trick the test taker out of the correct answers than finding out if the test taker knows the correct answers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I agree completely. 

The fact that there is more than one way invalidates the MUST part and should make it incorrect (IMHO)...simply because you DO NOT have to do that.

Cheers

Good point - that option is just plain wrong, so there's only one right answer.

Tom

• It seems answering the question a bit later helped, as the restart now reflects "can".
    This makes it a nice question, thanks Steve

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell - Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:27 AM

It seems answering the question a bit later helped, as the restart now reflects "can".
    This makes it a nice question, thanks Steve

Yes, and now we have the amusing situation that people who picked a wrong answer and had it marked right still have it marked right and have the point, and people who picked the right answer and had it marked wrong still have it marked wrong and hve no point, and the question has been changed so that what was the right answer is now wrong and what was the wrong answer is now right.  It seems like a somewhat careless and sloppy way to procede.  I guess it doesn't matter as this stuff is only for fun, but despite that it's a bloody rotten example to set for any beginners who come here to learn as it's teaching them that doing it right doesn't matter, sloppy is good enough.

Tom

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply