Cutting Edge Technology

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Cutting Edge Technology

• That is something that is bothering me ALOT.

I am alone responsible for SSIS, SSAS and query development.

We have more than 500 tables and 7 different Cubes.

I can not even keep up with the workload i have, but i would like to be more knowledgeable and also work with more up to date technologies.

--> Tabular Model, Power BI, Azure

But not having time during work to work/research on these makes it really tough. I am doing this currently in my private life learning python at home and working on tabular in my lunch break, but the progress like this is not as big as when ur working on it 8h/day.

A bit egoistic of me to want to implement and work with different technologies soley because i want to advance as a developer, but honestly i dont care.

• Always a challenge to learn something new when you're working, though I am surprised you can't do some of this at work. I'd think some of these might be useful in your work, and your employer would support that.

• ktflash wrote:

That is something that is bothering me ALOT.

I am alone responsible for SSIS, SSAS and query development.

We have more than 500 tables and 7 different Cubes.

I can not even keep up with the workload i have, but i would like to be more knowledgeable and also work with more up to date technologies.

--> Tabular Model, Power BI, Azure

But not having time during work to work/research on these makes it really tough. I am doing this currently in my private life learning python at home and working on tabular in my lunch break, but the progress like this is not as big as when ur working on it 8h/day.

A bit egoistic of me to want to implement and work with different technologies soley because i want to advance as a developer, but honestly i dont care.

I hear ya

Rod

• I'm a developer, so yeah, I am attracted to the new and shiny.  What frustrates me at work isn't so much that they don't want to do cutting edge technology. It's that they're even resistant to adopting something 10 years old.

When I joined almost 6 years ago, I helped introduce them to Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). Something that Microsoft introduced back in 2008. When I joined all the web development was done using ASP.NET WebForms, which was introduced back in 2002, I believe.

That stuff is for development. On the IT side of the shop there's another rush to replace old SQL Servers (SQL 2005 and older) that somehow missed the replacement that occurred in 2020 (or 2019, I can't remember which year it was). Back when the previous push to upgrade SQL Server to some newer, supported version came I had thought they did them all. I don't understand why about a dozen more instances weren't done when they were updating the other SQL Server instances. Given that this is happening again, I have to believe there's other old, out of support SQL Server versions lying about waiting for whatever it is that causes people to get into a panic to replace them.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Doctor Who 2. Reason: made the post clearer

Rod

• I find Jeff Moden's saying fits well with this topic. Change is inevitable, change for the better is not.

I've found that the adoption of some cutting edge technology generates a problem requiring an innovative solution possibly involving some other cutting edge technology ...ad infinitum.

It could be just my experience but I note that people tend not to go back to what used to work, they go forwards (?) to what they hope will work.

It helps to focus on the problem that needs to be solved, then work out if the problem is a cause or a symptom.

In terms of learning new stuff I've found that keeping a diary of what consumes my time helps focus me on what needs automation. Automating stuff gives me time to learn. Automation is of itself a rich Learning environment.

IT is full of reinvented wheels and fashions.  Everyone buys into a fashion at a point in time. Just like 1970s clothing some of those fashions become embarrassing in hindsight.

I'm quite interested in unikernels and cloud data solutions

• Heh.. and by the same token, blue jeans never seem to go out of fashion.  In fact, people have been paying extra for a long time to make their jeans and jackets look like they've been in-service since the '70s.  Just like code, some even think rips and tears somehow add more value to them.

I also think the need for "cutting edge" technology is because people never learn how to sharpen the edges of old technology that is incredibly stable.  Today's "cutting edge" technology will, just as it has in the past, frequently and quickly become old hat because people simply won't put the time into learning what the technology can actually do for you even when such technology comes on a silver platter.  Most people seem to want software that will do everything for them... and then complain when it does because it doesn't meet everyone's expectations.

Instead of relying on AI, which was written in the image of what someone else deemed it to be, people need to go back to using a lot more common sense and spend time learning the tools that they have.  As a simile, people actually do need to learn that you probably shouldn't use a glass cutter to try to cut a concrete wall nor use a 15Hp concrete wall cutter to try to cut a small piece of glass.

People also don't seem to remember why they call it the "cutting edge"... that's where the blood is first struck and the part that actually causes the most damage when used improperly and why it's also not-so-affectionately referred to as the "bleeding edge".

To continue the simile, you don't need to buy a new knife every time you're trying to cut pork chops from a different pig... especially since the new knife will likely have a different grip that you need to get used to.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Always a challenge to learn something new when you're working, though I am surprised you can't do some of this at work. I'd think some of these might be useful in your work, and your employer would support that.

tbh i started taking 15 mins a day of work time to do some research and work on these topics

it is not alot but i mean one has to start somewhere

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply