Creating a Test DB from a full backup of Prod

• I do a restore with move, as suggested above, and rather than setting to single user mode, I set to restricted_user mode;

use master

go

alter database destinationdbname

set restricted_user with rollback immediate

(then do the restore with replace, move)

• Also, you can use the sp_who2 proc to see IF another user has a connection to the DB.

You can either kill xxx (where xxx is the SPID of the user connected to the DB) OR I use the following script and un-comment the ALTER DATABASE statement to place the DB in single user mode to kick out any users then do the restore (you will have to fill in the correct paths/names etc...):

USE master

RESTORE FILELISTONLY

FROM DISK = '' --Disk Backup File

--sp_helpdb TEST

USE master

--ALTER DATABASE [TEST] SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

RESTORE DATABASE [TEST] -- DB Name

FROM DISK = '' --Disk Backup File

WITH STATS, REPLACE,

MOVE '' TO '.mdf',

MOVE '' TO '.ldf'

• This is why you are getting the error

RESTORE DATABASE TEST FROM DISK = 'E:\<path>\FULL.BAK'

WITH REPLACE, RECOVERY,

MOVE 'PROD' TO 'E:\<path>\TEST.MDF';

You've only specified a move for the primary data file, you need to specify a move command for each log file and secondary data file too. If you do not specify a file it will try to use the source databases file and that will produce an error.

Don't set anything offline or single user or anything else, just use the restore command and specify a move command for each file in the database. If you want to get a list of the files run this first

RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = 'E:\<path>\FULL.BAK'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (7/25/2014)

This is why you are getting the error

WITH REPLACE, RECOVERY,

MOVE 'PROD' TO 'E:\<path>\TEST.MDF';

You've only specified a move for the primary data file, you need to specify a move command for each log file and secondary data file too. If you do not specify a file it will try to use the source databases file and that will produce an error.

Don't set anything offline or single user or anything else, just use the restore command and specify a move command for each file in the database. If you want to get a list of the files run this first

RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = 'E:\<path>\FULL.BAK'

And i can do this during business hours without affecting the Prod DB?

• Also, do i use the logical name or physical name?

• Paul Morris-1011726 (7/25/2014)

And i can do this during business hours without affecting the Prod DB?

Should be perfectly safe as long as you set the move clauses correctly. The logical name is used to refer to the file within the database. For each logical filename you move the path and\or physical name.

Make sense?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• So it should look like this?

WITH REPLACE, RECOVERY,

MOVE 'PROD' TO 'E:\<path>\TEST.MDF',

MOVE 'PROD_log' TO 'E:\<path>\TEST_log.LDF';

Do i need the RECOVERY?

So it should look like this?

WITH REPLACE, RECOVERY,

Do i need the RECOVERY?

You don't need REPLACE since the database doesn't exist, you don't need RECOVERY since the default action is to recover the database.

• So this is what it should look like:

WITH

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, never created test DB's this way.

In the past, I would detach production, make a copy, rename, and reattached. Now I am learning that is not a good way of doing it.

• I have an example here which should help.

I have a Litespeed database called Litespeedlocal which i have a backup of, I want to restore it as bob.

The logical filenames are

LiteSpeedLocal

LiteSpeedLocal_log

I use the following query

RESTORE DATABASE [BOB] FROM DISK = N'P:\Backups\LiteSpeedLocal\LiteSpeed.BAK'

WITH MOVE 'LiteSpeedLocal' TO 'F:\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\bobsmith_data.mdf',

MOVE 'LiteSpeedLocal_log' TO 'F:\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Logs\bobsmith_log.ldf'

• Once you restored the database as a new name i would also then change the logical filenames as shown below (and based on my example)

ALTER DATABASE [bob] MODIFY FILE (NAME = LiteSpeedLocal, NEWNAME = Bob_Data)

ALTER DATABASE [bob] MODIFY FILE (NAME = LiteSpeedLocal_log, NEWNAME = Bob_log)[/code]

• Very cool, I will do this off hours just because i am paranoid. Let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

• As long as you do not have the "REPLACE" parm in the restore command any current DB can not be overwritten as you will get an error message.

Very cool, I will do this off hours just because i am paranoid. Let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

no need to be paranoid, just ensure your script is correct before you run it.

Ensure there is a MOVE clause for every file returned in the RESTORE FILELISTONLY output 😎

• Just wanted to follow up to let you know that it worked fine... thanks for all the info/help.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply