Configure Replication Between an On-premises SQL Server and AWS RDS

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Configure Replication Between an On-premises SQL Server and AWS RDS

• Hello, please I got lost where you stated I should login to my DNS server to create an alias.

Where do I do that - on my local machine or from the Amazon AWS page?

Note: I am a Nigerian and we don't use static IP adresses for internet.

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for the visit, You need to ask your network team to create a CNAME in the DNS server. The other option is to have a local host entry in the host file.

Jignesh

• Yeah, I later resolved it using the hosts file following a tutorial I found on another website.

Thanks for the concern.

• Jonathan1453 wrote:

Yeah, I later resolved it using the hosts file following a tutorial I found on another website.

Thanks for the concern.

Can you post the link, please?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• @JeffModen, sorry I am just getting to see your message all this while. I am so sorry for that. Let me see if I  can still get the link for you.

Thanks.

• Sorry, I couldn't get the link I visited but let me briefly explain.

Go to your hosts file located in 'C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc'

Open with notepad and add your entries like this:

[The IP address of your AWS Server or full instance ID of your Amazon RDS]   [Instance Name of your AWS Server]

e.g.   3.56.77.138    AMAZ-EC2ED4FV67

or    ec2-3-56-77-128.east-us.amazonaws.com  AMAZ-EC2ED4FV67

Save the file in a location e.g. documents/desktop folder without the '.txt' extension. You can do that by writing "hosts" as the file name when renaming; or unhide extensions for known file types in your folder/file view options, then remove the '.txt' extension.

Then copy the newly edited hosts file and paste in the original location to replace the old hosts file.

You can try searching how to edit hosts file on google or I can make a tutorial video to explain better.

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Jonathan1453. Reason: An ip address was showing where I typed '[IP Address of AWS Server or instance name of your aws server]'

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply