Closer to the Heart

• I would love to have an opportunity the data mine a huge database to identify trends in behaviors and predict future behaviors. There are several industries that have data that would be interesting to mine.

• I think it would be absolutely fascinating to be a data analyst for a MLB Team. I am absolutely intrigued with Baseball stats.. I love listening to games and here them say this or that has not happened in 25 years. I cannot imagine the complexity of the relational databases and queries to come up with this type of stuff.

A handful of years ago the Reds played the Cubs in Cincinnati... the Cubs pitcher, first at bat hit a home run off of the reds... the next series the Reds were in Chicago...same two starting pitchers faced each other... first at bat for the Reds pitcher and he his a home run off of the pitcher that hit a home run off of him. They said it was something like the first time that had happended in MLB in 89 years.

How in the world would you construct a query to find that kind of stat out of? Second of all... how much data collection would have had to been collected and put into a database with 89 years of history...

• After a disappointing semester of college, I took an Internship at Walt Disney World in Florida. That was before my career with technology started. If I had the chance to go back and work with and analyze guest experience data, I would take that chance. Using data to make magic for the customers, I think it would be fun.

• I too was thinking of a sports team, and noticed the glaring omission of the Avalanche from your list. :ermm: The rise of hockey analytics has actually been a much-hyped narrative over the last few years, and would be a growth area I'd love to be involved with.

I used to participate in fantasy hockey and baseball leagues, but it slipped off my priority list once I had a family. Nonetheless, working for a sports franchise would be a great case of making a career out of something I loved as a hobby.

• ricardo.frenedoso (2/13/2015)

I'd like to work in the military field. despite the fact that here in Brazil we don't have an advanced army, i think it would be interesting.

In the sports field, i think working in a Formula 1 team would be very exciting, because it's a sport that even the spectators have access to lots of information and numbers, you can imagine how many data they store and process about the cars and tracks.

I had an opportunity to work for an F1 team but with a young family then the time pressures it wouldn't have worked either me or them.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Trevor Ball (2/13/2015)

I too was thinking of a sports team, and noticed the glaring omission of the Avalanche from your list. :ermm: The rise of hockey analytics has actually been a much-hyped narrative over the last few years, and would be a growth area I'd love to be involved with.

I used to participate in fantasy hockey and baseball leagues, but it slipped off my priority list once I had a family. Nonetheless, working for a sports franchise would be a great case of making a career out of something I loved as a hobby.

don't understand or really like hockey, and yes, I've been to a game. Wouldn't hope any appeal for me.

• I would love to work for NASA.

• Thought provoking article, Steve. And I see a lot of people have replied to it. I'd like to comment on the first part of it, but think it would be better if I don't.

So let me answer your question with my own experience. I've lived in New Mexico for many years, having relocated here during a previous recession when where I was living didn't have any jobs. At the time I had just my college education, but no experience. I got a job working at that National Radio Astronomy Observatory's Very Large Array, west of Socorro, NM. The VLA[/url] was probably the most interesting place I've ever worked. But at the time, due to my complete lack of experience, all I was capable of doing was being what is called an Array Operator. No programming involved; just watching the antennas, replacing parts as something failed and so on. I would have loved working there as a programmer, but just didn't have the skills. I did learn how to program while there (FORTRAN), but that led to a job that took me away from the VLA. Of course the gathered lots of data, but I suspect the database schema they used at the time was more flat file based rather than in a RDBMS. And this was before NoSQL was ever thought of. Anyway, if I were the master of my fate, working in a scientific environment would be my druthers.

Rod

• Being a weather nerd I would enjoy working in meteorology. Studying and seeing the calculations used in the atmospheric models would be very interesting to me.

• I would love a job where I could spend half my time behind the computer and the other half outdoors in the field, traveling and getting my hands dirty. Perhaps this would a career in wildlife management, geology, or archeology; not just as a database administrator or data analyst but also involved in the process of collecting data as well.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Anything VISUAL.

And being in Education is definitely better than business/profit for me. I could not get excited about more manipulative marketing. Ok, maybe that is not a fair choice of words.

Big data sets, that provide 3 dimensional visualizations, which gives insights that a list of top 10 just doesn't give.

I really was proud of a recent graph, that took over 30,000 student/grade/teacher/course/standard records, and gave a clear picture over 4 High Schools of which standards were being covered, by who and to what depth. The trends became very apparent.

That ability to take 30,000 rows in a massive, incomprehensible spreadsheet and digest it into meaningful insights... love it.

Peter A.R. Johnson

• I currently work for a major digital marketing agency. I get to work with a wide variety of industries, but mostly retail.

Prior to working in the agency life, I worked in the AAA video game industry where I worked primarily in digital marketing for massively online video game titles. I wasn't specifically working with data, so the new venture in data in the agency world is a new start for me.

I made the choice to hang up my gloves in the video game industry primarily because of the job security issues. AAA video games are insanely expensive to develop and support. Many game veterans like myself go through many layoffs and projects over the course of our career.

BUT, that does not mean my passion for developing and playing video games is any less. With my new found career choice in the database world, I think it would be fun to work with data in the video game industry. I think all my experience in the video game industry combined with my growing experience with data would be both rewarding and fun.

The one area I think I would be the happiest in the video game industry if I could work with data is video game analytics.

I know of a few opportunities that could allow me to do that. Unfortunately, they would likely require me to relocate to the west coast or to Canada where the other major video game hubs reside. I can't relocate from my southern homeland where majority of my family lives.

• I used to to for a automotive engine and transmission re-manufacturing company. THey rebuilt transmissions (around 800 per week) for Chrysler and rebuilt engines for sale to the public. I built databases to analyze data from test machines and tear downs where they would take apart runs of 50 transmissions coming in from the field. That was quite interesting, kind of a wild west of programming. At the time there didn't seem to be anyone else in the industry doing this kind of analysis of real world wear and tear on automotive equipment.

Now I work for a bank software company, great place to work but very regimented and compatmentalized. Less stressfull and more nine to five. But truth be told I miss the wild west, felt like I was doing something new everyday.

• I was convinced that JJ Abrams would have needed a SQL DBA/Consultant at *some* point in his latest film...

He never returned my calls, then there was the restraining order... :ermm:

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • For years I work in the environmental laboratory industry building application to capture and process analytical data from instrumentation.  I miss that and doing it again would be fun.

I have considered looking for an opportunity with the New York Yankees, MLB or ESPN.  The problem is I live in western Connecticut.  While the commutes are doable that aren't fun.  I did the NYC commute for about a year, just when my first daughter was born.  4am wake ups, with little sleep to begin with and 2.5 hour one way commutes.  Not something I would encourage anyone to do, but there are lots of folks that live in my area that make that NYC commute every day.  Going to Bristol, home of ESPN, is about an hour depending on traffic.  I am not willing to move my family in either direction so these are just dreams right now.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply