Can I download Shapefiles for all countries from somewhere?

• I'm trying to get my head around the Geography/Geometry methods in SQL Server... are the shapefiles for all the countries downloadable from somewhere? So far I haven't found them.

• I don't need such a thing but I Googled for "download Shapefiles for all countries" and got a shedload of hits that also had the word "free" in their descriptions.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I've used this site for a "fun" personal project, but unfortunately can't vouch for them because the bloody wonderful Shape2SQL tool I used ages ago (and do not have a copy of) to convert into spatial data for insertion into a table, is no longer available anywhere.

https://tapiquen-sig.jimdofree.com/english-version/free-downloads/world/

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    — Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

• pietlinden wrote:

I'm trying to get my head around the Geography/Geometry methods in SQL Server... are the shapefiles for all the countries downloadable from somewhere? So far I haven't found them.

There are several sources, some better than others, must admit I haven't had to use any of those so I cannot recommend anyone in particular. Start by searching for "open source geospatial data"

😎

Most formats are supported in SQL Server, but unfortunately, there is no support yet for CHTM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• The link David Edwards provided works. Now to import and play.

Thanks!

• pietlinden wrote:

The link David Edwards provided works. Now to import and play.

Thanks!

Glad that worked, please let me know if they are fit for purpose.

I need to get back this "fun" project at some point. They looked ok in arcGIS on a quick once-over.

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    — Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply