Can Data Save the World?

• David.Poole - Thursday, December 7, 2017 12:26 AM

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, December 6, 2017 8:30 PM

We just need to find people that know how to use the data correctly and then stop beating on them just because they're the minority. 

Do you think that is a realistic proposition?

I believe it's realistic. I actually think the biggest hurdles is the business adapting to using and executing on the data from said professionals. It can be a major change in process for the business. Like for example, making tough decisions that may impact the general operations.

• Keep in mind that the advocates of narrative data sometimes are themselves fooled by it.

https://www.americanscientist.org/article/freakonomics-what-went-wrong

https://newrepublic.com/article/62561/freaks-and-geeks-how-freakonomics-ruining-the-dismal-science

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

We just need to find people that know how to use the data correctly and then stop beating on them just because they're the minority. 

No...  at least not on a large scale.  Even in the scientific community, there's are "band wagon", "cool kid", and "ring knocker/pedigree" effects.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Alvin Ramard - Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:40 AM

It will be harder for data to save the world when people in power keep saying it's fake news!

Well, Alvin, I think you are allowing your pre-conceived bias get in the way of the  reality  of data, which is sort of sad for this forum.  However, I will point out that practically speaking, the pointing out of 'fake news', and all the other issues that now are being brought up has been very good for all of us, yourself included if you can see what is really happening.  Apparently you still have a job.  While I have been retired since 2010, the past year of the new administration has seen my retirement savings show GROWTH AND INCOME of over $45k, more than I have needed to take out,  and I didn't have to work a day.   And my investments have grown back to where they were when I quit working.

And by comparison, my Social Security, that I PAID FOR over my entire career, will increase by a whole $14 a month for next year.  What kind of raise are YOU getting?

So I think maybe YOU need to learn more about how to read and interpret some data before you go all 'looney lib' on us. 🙂

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• skeleton567 - Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:03 AM

Alvin Ramard - Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:40 AM

It will be harder for data to save the world when people in power keep saying it's fake news!

Well, Alvin, I think you are allowing your pre-conceived bias get in the way of reality, which is sort of sad for this forum.  However, I will point out that practically speaking, the pointing out of 'fake news', and all the other issues that now are being brought up has been very good for all of us, you included if you can see what is really happening.  Apparently you still have a job.  While I have been retired since 2010, the past year of the new administration has seen my retirement savings show GROWTH AND INCOME of over $45k, more than I have needed to take out,  and I didn't have to work a day.   And my investments have grown back to where they were when I quit working.

And by comparison, my Social Security, that I PAID FOR over my entire career, will increase by a whole $14 a month for next year.  What kind of raise are YOU getting?

So I think maybe YOU need to learn more about how to read and interpret some data before you go all 'looney lib' on us. 🙂

Regarding the performance of the economy at any given moment in time, it's important to remember that "correlation does not imply causation". Both sides of the political isle would have us believe that all changes in the economy are the direct result of government policy, and the public is too willing to accept that assertion. But really the performance of your own personal retirement account has more to do with your personal choices regarding investments. Ask 100 people how their finances are doing today, and you'll get 100 different answers. Ask them again a month later, and the same people will answer differently.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Yes, but unlikely at wide scale. Too many people invested in their own silo/process/situation.

• I don't like to remove or censor posts, but let's leave the political stuff out of here. You can comment on data, but no comments or debate on whether political decisions are good or bad. Those are opinions and there are plenty of places to discuss those.

I'll remove  posts contrary to this, no matter which opinion is expressed.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:45 AM

I don't like to remove or censor posts, but let's leave the political stuff out of here. You can comment on data, but no comments or debate on whether political decisions are good or bad. Those are opinions and there are plenty of places to discuss those.

But we're only two or three more replies away from invoking Godwin's Law.

• This is Steve's Benevolent Dictatorship Principle

• Can't do proper edit...

• dan.bridgeman - Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:51 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:45 AM

I don't like to remove or censor posts, but let's leave the political stuff out of here. You can comment on data, but no comments or debate on whether political decisions are good or bad. Those are opinions and there are plenty of places to discuss those.

But we're only two or three more replies away from invoking Godwin's Law.

• jay-h - Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:55 AM

Thanks for this post.   "...unexamined assumptions..." is something I encounter all of the time. As a DBA, nothing has inspired me more from a DR perspective then this modern classic:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Swan:_The_Impact_of_the_Highly_Improbable
    It's relatively short, unpretentious, and completely brilliant. 
    I still need to read his "Anti-Fragile".

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:45 AM

Sorry, Steve.  I just reported two empirical facts - the data.  Point about data and interpretation differences illustrated.

Rick

• I believe data can help transform the world for the better, but I also believe that at this point in time the public has access to sufficient data to make better choices. It's not the volume or quality of data that's holding us back, but instead it's limitations in the programming of our thought processes that has to do with logic and critical thinking.
    Perhaps this book or something similar should be required reading in school.
    https://bookofbadarguments.com/

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Friday, December 8, 2017 8:11 AM

I believe data can help transform the world for the better, but I also believe that at this point in time the public has access to sufficient data to make better choices. It's not the volume or quality of data that's holding us back, but instead it's limitations in the programming of our thought processes that has to do with logic and critical thinking.
    Perhaps this book or something similar should be required reading in school.
    https://bookofbadarguments.com/

Eric, I just checked out your link above and it appears to be my favorite kind of reading.  I'll probably read it this evening.  Thanks.

Rick

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply