Birds of a Feather

• Beatrix Kiddo - Tuesday, July 11, 2017 7:41 AM

phonetictalk - Monday, July 10, 2017 10:53 AM

A daring editorial, and I'm going to say something controversial here in response. I don't think there's anything different about the personalities of SQL Server people vs. people in other careers or the general population. We're not special.

I also, and I hesitate to say this, don't like the #SQLFamily hashtag. Calling it a family sounds too much like a clique. It's a nice feeling for people who genuinely feel part of it, but for many others on the periphery who don't feel like that (and I'm sure there are many), it creates an unnecessary feeling of exclusion (though of course not intended that way).

Agreed. I'm extremely grateful for how much the SQL community is willing to share, and mindful that this really sets it apart from other technology groups. I've learnt so much from generous people online giving their expertise for free.

HOWEVER: it is really, really cliquey. Try turning up at conferences and events (even just on the Slack groups) when you're not a member of the inner circle, and see how included you feel. I can see that it's great for those who go way back and know everybody; it looks like an utter blast. But as a normal user who's just trying to get more involved in the SQL community? Good luck with that.

I agree. I went to one SQL Rally and a few SQL Saturdays. While everyone was cordial, at times it was like being at reunion for someone else.

• Beatrix Kiddo - Tuesday, July 11, 2017 7:41 AM

phonetictalk - Monday, July 10, 2017 10:53 AM

A daring editorial, and I'm going to say something controversial here in response. I don't think there's anything different about the personalities of SQL Server people vs. people in other careers or the general population. We're not special.

I also, and I hesitate to say this, don't like the #SQLFamily hashtag. Calling it a family sounds too much like a clique. It's a nice feeling for people who genuinely feel part of it, but for many others on the periphery who don't feel like that (and I'm sure there are many), it creates an unnecessary feeling of exclusion (though of course not intended that way).

Agreed. I'm extremely grateful for how much the SQL community is willing to share, and mindful that this really sets it apart from other technology groups. I've learnt so much from generous people online giving their expertise for free.

HOWEVER: it is really, really cliquey. Try turning up at conferences and events (even just on the Slack groups) when you're not a member of the inner circle, and see how included you feel. I can see that it's great for those who go way back and know everybody; it looks like an utter blast. But as a normal user who's just trying to get more involved in the SQL community? Good luck with that.

Yeppers. That's why I rarely show up. I also feel way out of place at most of these events. I'm young, in a pretty high data position, and moving away from old standards that are very well regarded in the community (i.e.: moving from SQL -> NoSQL). When it comes to events around Python, R, analytics, it's totally different. I feel more at home as the demographic and everything is more to where I'm going, but yet, not because I'm still that DBA-like guy too.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply