Birds of a Feather

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Birds of a Feather

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

• I look forward to seeing the results of the first person to bravely declare in this one. I know where it's going but...popcorn?

#SQLFamily, it's surely all good, though I'm personally slightly more developer-y.

• Going on the stats released following various recent UK elections, it seems that people who vote "a certain way" have a higher education than those who vote "another way" 😉 Certainly SQL folk would have a high average level of education... But there were many ways of dividing voters up into groups more likely to vote in either direction (gender, location, income etc).

• Considering the answers I've gotten from many supposedly highly experienced DBAs during interviews and the database designs rendered by many supposed Data Architects, I'd have to say that your hypothesis about people dealing with data generally being more intelligent is seriously flawed. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Monday, July 10, 2017 6:19 AM

...I'd have to say that your hypothesis about people dealing with data generally being more intelligent is seriously flawed. 😉

I never actually said more intelligent, did I? Perhaps I implied it, optimist that I am...

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

• hakim.ali - Monday, July 10, 2017 7:02 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, July 10, 2017 6:19 AM

...I'd have to say that your hypothesis about people dealing with data generally being more intelligent is seriously flawed. 😉

I never actually said more intelligent, did I? Perhaps I implied it, optimist that I am...

Yes.  Seriously implied.  😉 

Heh... sorry for the off the cuff observation but it struck a note with me.

To your point, though, I agree... I've not seen another profession where people have such a sense of community.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• ...it is a personality trait: that we tend to want things to make sense. Perhapsslightly more so than the general populace

Interesting idea.  There's probably something to that.

• I think its true, and I've found that I'm one of those who don't fit in with the "SQL Server crowd." I'm interested in technologies besides SQL Server, I don't really lean the same way politically, and some of the things I see posted by the database community are, well let me just say I don't necessarily assign the same weight to some of the assertions I see being made, although its important to me that I try to understand and accept that I'm the outlier here.

None of these things mean I don't want to improve my skills and knowledge with SQL Server however.

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Monday, July 10, 2017 9:05 AM

...I try to understand and accept that I'm the outlier here.

Thanks for replying even though you think you are an outlier, that takes more courage.

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

• A daring editorial, and I'm going to say something controversial here in response. I don't think there's anything different about the personalities of SQL Server people vs. people in other careers or the general population. We're not special.

I also, and I hesitate to say this, don't like the #SQLFamily hashtag. Calling it a family sounds too much like a clique. It's a nice feeling for people who genuinely feel part of it, but for many others on the periphery who don't feel like that (and I'm sure there are many), it creates an unnecessary feeling of exclusion (though of course not intended that way).

That said, what I think makes the SQL Server community unique is PASS. PASS advocates for the free sharing of knowledge & high-quality training. From the board of directors & their employees down to regional, virtual & local chapter leaders as well as many community members (prominent & obscure), the message is the same: knowledge is to be shared rather than hoarded. It's a giant pay-it-forward scheme and I feel both lucky & privileged to be a part of it in my own little way.

Leonard
    Madison, WI

• I'm a member  of the Prohibition Party. (yes there is one) .  Where does that put me ?

• Where does that put me ?     

It puts you in the sober camp.  Didn't even know that was a party (that I would never join).

• phonetictalk - Monday, July 10, 2017 10:53 AM

...I don't think there's anything different about the personalities of SQL Server people ...
    ...knowledge is to be shared rather than hoarded. It's a giant pay-it-forward scheme...

Thanks for participating. To your point, the inclinations of sharing knowledge and paying it forward are stronger here than in other tech communities. Doesn't this make us just a little bit different?

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

• bernard black - Monday, July 10, 2017 11:07 AM

I'm a member  of the Prohibition Party. (yes there is one) .  Where does that put me ?

Assuming we're talking about the American version of the Prohibition Party; it received 5,617 votes nationally in the 2016 presidential election, which is not even enough to swing a moderately sized county election.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• bernard black - Monday, July 10, 2017 11:07 AM

I'm a member  of the Prohibition Party. (yes there is one) .  Where does that put me ?

I don't want to make this a political discussion... 🙂

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply