Best way to learn Data Warehousing Concepts?

• Hello everyone. I am in need of some advice on how to learn the concepts of data warehousing. My background is in web development, so I am familiar with standard database architecture, but from what I have read so far, data warehousing concepts are a little different. If you could let me know of any websites, books, videos, etc. that you think would point me in the right direction to learn those concepts, I would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

• The main or basic book you should read to learn the concepts of data warehousing is: The Data Warehouse Toolkit[/url]

It's a great book.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (9/18/2015)

The main or basic book you should read to learn the concepts of data warehousing is: The Data Warehouse Toolkit[/url]

It's a great book.

Good book. There's other books in that series that are worth looking at; basically all books from the Kimball Group related to the Data Warehouse Life Cycle or Toolkit.

Also, I'd look at the whole Kimball Group website, starting at:

http://www.kimballgroup.com/

and:

http://www.kimballgroup.com/data-warehouse-business-intelligence-resources/kimball-techniques/

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• This post has good suggestions as well: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1718291.aspx

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • This question has been asked several times on this forum. You could do a little searching, too.

• The Data warehouse toolkit that Louis mentioned is awesome - that has been the best book I have read about the whole data warehouse/BI life cycle. It's a shame that they have not come out with a more current version that is Microsoft specific (still on SQL 2008R2). That said, it's still extremely relevant.

I just started reading the Star Schema The Complete Reference which is the best book I have seen about dimensional data modeling.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Christopher Adamson's Star Schema: The Complete Reference is really good. It's database agnostic, but he does a really good job of explaining concepts like Slowly Changing Dimensions and how to model them correctly. (I have Kimball's book, too, but I liked the description in Adamson's book better.)

Then you just have to practice, practice, practice.

• Data Warehouse is a large store of data accumulated from a wide range of sources within a company and used to guide management decisions. It emphasizes the capture of data from diverse sources for access and analysis rather than for transaction processing.

I know there are many varieties of Data Warehouse Books available in the market for one to learn Data Warehouse for both beginners and advanced learners. But the most popular one or the one that has the largest number of users in my country is The Data Warehouse Toolkit for beginners and advanced learners by a noted Ralph Kimball. We all believe it is the widest used textbook in the world for this purpose.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply