Beginner Question about CLR

• Can one use CLR assemblies with a database that is set to 80 compatibility level? Or does it have to be set to 90?

• 80 won't work. You need it @ 90 (or better).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Thank you!

• Just a bit of advice to a beginner... Most of the time where someone thinks they need a CLR, Matt and I have been able to beat the pants off of the CLR solution using good ol' TSQL. The TSQL solution is very worth while looking for. ReGex replace is about the only place I've seen where a CLR is worth a salt.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• And instead of extended stored procedures when working with stuff outside the database (if there's absolutely a need to do that from within the DB)

Jeff, do you know if anyone's tested the speed of a CLR proc vs the built in XQuery for shredding xml documents?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/9/2008)

Jeff, do you know if anyone's tested the speed of a CLR proc vs the built in XQuery for shredding xml documents?

No, I sure don't, Gail. Sorry.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Thanks. I'll test it out sometime then. It's another of those grey areas where I wouldn't be surprised if CLR is faster, however I'm not going to put money on it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • So far, the only place I've seen CLR's beat T-SQL is in the area of RegEx Replace...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply