BEGIN and END in stored procedure

• Thank you, J - that was very helpful and I really appreciate your time.

Kenena

• I forgot to add that this is a coding style, NOT a "rule".

• kevriley (2/25/2008)

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to including the BEGIN and END block in a simple stored proc, i.e.

CREATE PROC MyProc

AS

BEGIN

select col1, col2 from Mytable

END

no control-flow statements, no transaction.

Disadvantge: extra ugly stuff; does not contribute information so basically it's visual chaff/clutter.

Advantage: consistency, if you always do it that way, stay consistent.

-----------

A little known fact is that 99% of the time, you do not need it at all for the procedure definition itself, even in very complex procs. (Of course you still need them for interior blocks.)

However, every once in a while I come across one that MUST have them in order to be able to script and re-execute it correctly in the middle of a bunch of other procedure scripts.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Michael Meierruth (8/20/2008)

Jeff Moden (2/25/2008)

...Might be an ANSI standard but I always follow MIL-TP-41H, instead... 😉

I have forgiven myself for not knowing the meaning of that abbreviation. But the same has not happened for "Make It Like The Print For Once Heh". And here I thought my English was top notch. So what is the meaning of that?

So no attempts at the meaning of that phrase?

Believe me, I can sleep soundly thinking about BEGIN/END and GO.

But this phrase is keeping me awake.

And I'm scared to bits if it should turn out to be something very simple - making me look like a total fool.

• As for preferences, I always use the Begin/End in IF/ELSE constructs but also for stored procs and, yes, I indent the entire block of code. This is personal preference but let me show you where it would have helped, probably, just last week.

Someone (name omitted to protect the guilty) wrote a simple little sproc. The script looked like this:

create procedure procname

as

statement 1

statement 2

statement n

grant execute to procname to role1

grant execute to procname to role2

go

He tested it (it passed), QA tested it (it passed), and it went to production (it bombed). It was sent to me for troubleshooting. Before I even looked at the code, I first added 'begin' after 'as', highlighted the first statement after it and scrolled to the bottom to shift-select and indent. I had a little chuckle when I saw the end of the code and knew immediately that the logic of the sproc was probably sound, the problem was that the users were getting "No execute permission" messages.

Having something that stands up, waves its arms and shouts "this is the last line of the procedure" can be of immense help. It is also why I end my statements with ';'. It's not needed (usually) by the compiler. It just helps me identify the end of the executable lines as my eyes wander over the code.

Tricks like this have a very important function: it can help make wrong code look wrong (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html).

Tomm Carr
    --
    Version Normal Form -- http://groups.google.com/group/vrdbms

• Tomm, I believe this version of the code

as

BEGIN

statement 1

statement 2

statement n

END

go

would change nothing and users would still receive the same error message in Production because of the same reason.

So, I don't see a point really.

• But this would:

as BEGIN

statement 1

statement 2

statement n

END

go

The eye is more likely to notice all that unindented stuff at the end where there is not supposed to be any. It's not a guarantee, of course. All you're doing is increasing the probability that you'll notice something standing out.

And you still have to know to put a "GO" after the "END". 😉

Tomm Carr
    --
    Version Normal Form -- http://groups.google.com/group/vrdbms

• Michael Meierruth (8/20/2008)

Michael Meierruth (8/20/2008)

Jeff Moden (2/25/2008)

...Might be an ANSI standard but I always follow MIL-TP-41H, instead... 😉

I have forgiven myself for not knowing the meaning of that abbreviation. But the same has not happened for "Make It Like The Print For Once Heh". And here I thought my English was top notch. So what is the meaning of that?

So no attempts at the meaning of that phrase?

Believe me, I can sleep soundly thinking about BEGIN/END and GO.

But this phrase is keeping me awake.

And I'm scared to bits if it should turn out to be something very simple - making me look like a total fool.

Sorry for the delay...

The phrase "Make It Like The Print For Once" was a saying we had in the Navy long before ISO 2000 and 2003 were even a gleam in someone's eye. It's the short and nasty way of trying to describe the spirit of some of those ISO standards. Other's say "Say what you do, do what you say" about the standards.

The "Heh" at the end is more like an OK? If someone asked me to turn the phrase into a more meaningful and substantially longer sentence, it would be something like "Look! We've tried the seat-of-our-pants design method several times, already, and it failed every time. Let's "make it like the print for once", OK???" 🙂 The super short version would simple be "RTFS". :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Tomm Carr (8/20/2008)

But this would:

as BEGIN

statement 1

statement 2

statement n

END

go

The eye is more likely to notice all that unindented stuff at the end where there is not supposed to be any. It's not a guarantee, of course. All you're doing is increasing the probability that you'll notice something standing out.

And you still have to know to put a "GO" after the "END". 😉

I'm thinking that knowing where to put the GO is only part of the problem in that code... it's still gonna crash the way it is... 😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Sergiy (8/20/2008)

Tomm, I believe this version of the code

as

BEGIN

statement 1

statement 2

statement n

END

go

would change nothing and users would still receive the same error message in Production because of the same reason.

So, I don't see a point really.

Spot on... times 2 plus 1. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply