Bcp utility with Stored Proc

• It does that when it can't find the object (tablename supplied as a parameter)

This happens if the proc isn't marked as a systemobject and you're standing in another db than where the table in question lives...

eg:

use master

exec insertproc 'myTable'

... generates the error..

use myDb

exec insertproc 'myTable'

...works fine

Above when the proc isn't markes as a systemobject.

Mark it, and it works everytime regardless of db scope...

That's how it worked for me when I tried it out on a 2000 box anyway.

/Kenneth

• Kenneth,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using sql server 2005, the stored proc is marked as system object.

When I execute the stored proc from different database from management studio it works fine, but through bcp it somehow executes from master database.

What baffles me when I execute following from the master database it runs fine

exec ch_test.dbo.sp_generate_inserts doctype1lov

If I include the above statement in a stored proc with bcp utility it fails.

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[INSERTTEST2] ( @FILEPATH NVARCHAR(50))

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @cmd varchar(2000)

set @cmd = 'bcp.exe "exec ch_test.dbo.sp_generate_inserts doctype1lov" '

+ 'QUERYOUT' + ' ' +@filePath+ '.sql ' +'-S ' +

'NV-DEVSQL2\SCOOBY' + ' -q ' + ' -c -T -e ' + @filePath+'.log -o '

+ @filePath+ '_out.log'

select @cmd -- + '...'

EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdShell @cmd

END

I get the following error

'SQLState = 37000, NativeError = 536

Error = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid length parameter passed to the SUBSTRING function.'

Also I dont think we can have -d clause with database name in bcp command.

I am running out of ideas now.

Any suggestions and inputs would help.

Thanks

• Once again.

Look for SUBSTRING in your mysterious SP_GENERATE_INSERTS procedure.

Find why CHARINDEX(...) inside SUBSTRING returns 0 and CHARINDEX(...)-1 becomes "Invalid length parameter".

It does not matter how deeply you believe that SP is built properly.

Error is in there.

• Below is the snippet of the code the stored proc which uses charindex with substring. Is there something that I am missing ???

As mentioned it throws the error only if it executed from stored proc with bcp, it runs fine when it is not run as part of stored proc

Thanks

--Loop through all the columns of the table, to get the column names and their data types

WHILE @Column_ID IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

SELECT @Column_Name = QUOTENAME(COLUMN_NAME),

@Data_Type = DATA_TYPE

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS (NOLOCK)

WHERE ORDINAL_POSITION = @Column_ID AND

TABLE_NAME = @table_name AND

(@owner IS NULL OR TABLE_SCHEMA = @owner)

IF @cols_to_include IS NOT NULL --Selecting only user specified columns

BEGIN

IF CHARINDEX( '''' + SUBSTRING(@Column_Name,2,LEN(@Column_Name)-2) + '''',@cols_to_include) = 0

BEGIN

GOTO SKIP_LOOP

END

END

IF @cols_to_exclude IS NOT NULL --Selecting only user specified columns

BEGIN

IF CHARINDEX( '''' + SUBSTRING(@Column_Name,2,LEN(@Column_Name)-2) + '''',@cols_to_exclude) 0

BEGIN

GOTO SKIP_LOOP

END

END

• Sure... if the @Column_Name variable contains something less than 2 characters, then because of the "-2" modifier in it, BOOM!

Can't help much more than that 'cause I don't know what values of @Column_Name you can have nor why you're starting the substring at the 2nd character...

I'm thinking that there's an easy set based solution for all this looping, but I can't tell because I can't see the rest of the proc and the documentation included in the snippet is to die for... literally.

If you want help on this, you'll need to stop beating around the bush and post something meaningful.  Sounds a bit mean and I'm sorry about that, but I can fix what I can't see

--Jeff Moden

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff, I thought so as well at first, but that's not it.

A tablename with just one char will be substringed as that single char..

(hint - quotename)

If anyone wants to see the entire proc, go to the link on Vyas' site that the op posted earlier in the thread... The link does work.

Sergiy, the only way I've found any of those substring statements to behave that way, is when the tablename can't be found. I believe this to be a scope issue.

am - what's up with not using -d parameter in your bcp commandline?

Why can't you just try, please?

If it should work, I can't really explain the dirty details why, but when I tried, it looked like that was the case.

When you shell out through xp_cmdshell, and not setting any particular database, you end up in the default db for the user used to logon. (this is many times master)

Also, it is written in the 'docs' in the proc that you should do 'use dbname' before executing it, it's intended to be used locally to the db where the table lives.

/Kenneth

• Kenneth,

Thank you for the reply, thats exactly the problem - it is not picking up the tables name.

I looked to include -d clause with database name in bcp command but it doesnt allow me to do so.

C:\>bcp.exe help

usage: bcp.exe {dbtable | query} {in | out | queryout | format} datafile

[-m maxerrors] [-f formatfile] [-e errfile]

[-F firstrow] [-L lastrow] [-b batchsize]

[-n native type] [-c character type] [-w wide character typ

[-N keep non-text native] [-V file format version] [-q quoted identifier]

[-C code page specifier] [-t field terminator] [-r row terminator]

[-i inputfile] [-o outfile] [-a packetsize]

[-S server name] [-U username] [-P password]

[-T trusted connection] [-v version] [-R regional enable]

[-k keep null values] [-E keep identity values]

[-h "load hints"]

Is there any way to include database name in the bcp command?

I also tried to use 'use dbname' but I get the same since xp_cmdshell runs from master database. Here is the bcp cmd using 'use dbname'

bcp.exe "use ch_test exec sp_generate_inserts doctype1lov" QUERYOUT C:\AICMS.sql -S NV-DEVSQL2\SCOOBY -q -c -T -e C:\AICMS.log -o C:\AICMS_out.log

Thanks

• Since nobody else wants to post it here is the code from http://vyaskn.tripod.com/code/generate_inserts_2005.txt

SET NOCOUNT ON
    GO
    PRINT 'Using Master database'
    USE master
    GO
    PRINT 'Checking for the existence of this procedure'
    IF (SELECT OBJECT_ID('sp_generate_inserts','P')) IS NOT NULL --means, the procedure already exists
     BEGIN
      PRINT 'Procedure already exists. So, dropping it'
      DROP PROC sp_generate_inserts
     END
    GO
    CREATE PROC sp_generate_inserts
    (
     @table_name varchar(776),    -- The table/view for which the INSERT statements will be generated using the existing data
     @target_table varchar(776) = NULL,  -- Use this parameter to specify a different table name into which the data will be inserted
     @include_column_list bit = 1,  -- Use this parameter to include/ommit column list in the generated INSERT statement
     @from varchar(800) = NULL,   -- Use this parameter to filter the rows based on a filter condition (using WHERE)
     @include_timestamp bit = 0,   -- Specify 1 for this parameter, if you want to include the TIMESTAMP/ROWVERSION column's data in the INSERT statement
     @debug_mode bit = 0,   -- If @debug_mode is set to 1, the SQL statements constructed by this procedure will be printed for later examination
     @owner varchar(64) = NULL,  -- Use this parameter if you are not the owner of the table
     @ommit_images bit = 0,   -- Use this parameter to generate INSERT statements by omitting the 'image' columns
     @ommit_identity bit = 0,  -- Use this parameter to ommit the identity columns
     @top int = NULL,   -- Use this parameter to generate INSERT statements only for the TOP n rows
     @cols_to_include varchar(8000) = NULL, -- List of columns to be included in the INSERT statement
     @cols_to_exclude varchar(8000) = NULL, -- List of columns to be excluded from the INSERT statement
     @disable_constraints bit = 0,  -- When 1, disables foreign key constraints and enables them after the INSERT statements
     @ommit_computed_cols bit = 0  -- When 1, computed columns will not be included in the INSERT statement

)
    AS
    BEGIN
    /***********************************************************************************************************
    Procedure: sp_generate_inserts  (Build 22) 
      (Copyright © 2002 Narayana Vyas Kondreddi. All rights reserved.)

Purpose: To generate INSERT statements from existing data. 
      These INSERTS can be executed to regenerate the data at some other location.
      This procedure is also useful to create a database setup, where in you can 
      script your data along with your table definitions.
    Written by: Narayana Vyas Kondreddi
             http://vyaskn.tripod.com
    Acknowledgements:
      Divya Kalra -- For beta testing
      Mark Charsley -- For reporting a problem with scripting uniqueidentifier columns with NULL values
      Artur Zeygman -- For helping me simplify a bit of code for handling non-dbo owned tables
      Joris Laperre   -- For reporting a regression bug in handling text/ntext columns
    Tested on:  SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005
    Date created: January 17th 2001 21:52 GMT
    Date modified: May 1st 2002 19:50 GMT
    Email:   vyaskn@hotmail.com
    NOTE:  This procedure may not work with tables with too many columns.
      Results can be unpredictable with huge text columns or SQL Server 2000's sql_variant data types
      Whenever possible, Use @include_column_list parameter to ommit column list in the INSERT statement, for better results
      IMPORTANT: This procedure is not tested with internation data (Extended characters or Unicode). If needed
      you might want to convert the datatypes of character variables in this procedure to their respective unicode counterparts
      like nchar and nvarchar
      ALSO NOTE THAT THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT UPDATED TO WORK WITH NEW DATA TYPES INTRODUCED IN SQL SERVER 2005 / YUKON

Example 1: To generate INSERT statements for table 'titles':

EXEC sp_generate_inserts 'titles'
    Example 2:  To ommit the column list in the INSERT statement: (Column list is included by default)
      IMPORTANT: If you have too many columns, you are advised to ommit column list, as shown below,
      to avoid erroneous results

EXEC sp_generate_inserts 'titles', @include_column_list = 0
    Example 3: To generate INSERT statements for 'titlesCopy' table from 'titles' table:
      EXEC sp_generate_inserts 'titles', 'titlesCopy'
    Example 4: To generate INSERT statements for 'titles' table for only those titles 
      which contain the word 'Computer' in them:
      NOTE: Do not complicate the FROM or WHERE clause here. It's assumed that you are good with T-SQL if you are using this parameter
      EXEC sp_generate_inserts 'titles', @from = "from titles where title like '%Computer%'"
    Example 5:  To specify that you want to include TIMESTAMP column's data as well in the INSERT statement:
      (By default TIMESTAMP column's data is not scripted)
      EXEC sp_generate_inserts 'titles', @include_timestamp = 1
    Example 6: To print the debug information:

EXEC sp_generate_inserts 'titles', @debug_mode = 1
    Example 7:  If you are not the owner of the table, use @owner parameter to specify the owner name
      To use this option, you must have SELECT permissions on that table
      EXEC sp_generate_inserts Nickstable, @owner = 'Nick'
    Example 8:  To generate INSERT statements for the rest of the columns excluding images
      When using this otion, DO NOT set @include_column_list parameter to 0.
      EXEC sp_generate_inserts imgtable, @ommit_images = 1
    Example 9:  To generate INSERT statements excluding (ommiting) IDENTITY columns:
      (By default IDENTITY columns are included in the INSERT statement)
      EXEC sp_generate_inserts mytable, @ommit_identity = 1
    Example 10:  To generate INSERT statements for the TOP 10 rows in the table:

EXEC sp_generate_inserts mytable, @top = 10
    Example 11:  To generate INSERT statements with only those columns you want:

EXEC sp_generate_inserts titles, @cols_to_include = "'title','title_id','au_id'"
    Example 12:  To generate INSERT statements by omitting certain columns:

EXEC sp_generate_inserts titles, @cols_to_exclude = "'title','title_id','au_id'"
    Example 13: To avoid checking the foreign key constraints while loading data with INSERT statements:

EXEC sp_generate_inserts titles, @disable_constraints = 1
    Example 14:  To exclude computed columns from the INSERT statement:
      EXEC sp_generate_inserts MyTable, @ommit_computed_cols = 1
    ***********************************************************************************************************/
    SET NOCOUNT ON
    --Making sure user only uses either @cols_to_include or @cols_to_exclude
    IF ((@cols_to_include IS NOT NULL) AND (@cols_to_exclude IS NOT NULL))
     BEGIN
      RAISERROR('Use either @cols_to_include or @cols_to_exclude. Do not use both the parameters at once',16,1)
      RETURN -1 --Failure. Reason: Both @cols_to_include and @cols_to_exclude parameters are specified
     END
    --Making sure the @cols_to_include and @cols_to_exclude parameters are receiving values in proper format
    IF ((@cols_to_include IS NOT NULL) AND (PATINDEX('''%''',@cols_to_include) = 0))
     BEGIN
      RAISERROR('Invalid use of @cols_to_include property',16,1)
      PRINT 'Specify column names surrounded by single quotes and separated by commas'
      PRINT 'Eg: EXEC sp_generate_inserts titles, @cols_to_include = "''title_id'',''title''"'
      RETURN -1 --Failure. Reason: Invalid use of @cols_to_include property
     END
    IF ((@cols_to_exclude IS NOT NULL) AND (PATINDEX('''%''',@cols_to_exclude) = 0))
     BEGIN
      RAISERROR('Invalid use of @cols_to_exclude property',16,1)
      PRINT 'Specify column names surrounded by single quotes and separated by commas'
      PRINT 'Eg: EXEC sp_generate_inserts titles, @cols_to_exclude = "''title_id'',''title''"'
      RETURN -1 --Failure. Reason: Invalid use of @cols_to_exclude property
     END
    --Checking to see if the database name is specified along wih the table name
    --Your database context should be local to the table for which you want to generate INSERT statements
    --specifying the database name is not allowed
    IF (PARSENAME(@table_name,3)) IS NOT NULL
     BEGIN
      RAISERROR('Do not specify the database name. Be in the required database and just specify the table name.',16,1)
      RETURN -1 --Failure. Reason: Database name is specified along with the table name, which is not allowed
     END
    --Checking for the existence of 'user table' or 'view'
    --This procedure is not written to work on system tables
    --To script the data in system tables, just create a view on the system tables and script the view instead
    IF @owner IS NULL
     BEGIN
      IF ((OBJECT_ID(@table_name,'U') IS NULL) AND (OBJECT_ID(@table_name,'V') IS NULL)) 
       BEGIN
        RAISERROR('User table or view not found.',16,1)
        PRINT 'You may see this error, if you are not the owner of this table or view. In that case use @owner parameter to specify the owner name.'
        PRINT 'Make sure you have SELECT permission on that table or view.'
        RETURN -1 --Failure. Reason: There is no user table or view with this name
       END
     END
    ELSE
     BEGIN
      IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_NAME = @table_name AND (TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE' OR TABLE_TYPE = 'VIEW') AND TABLE_SCHEMA = @owner)
       BEGIN
        RAISERROR('User table or view not found.',16,1)
        PRINT 'You may see this error, if you are not the owner of this table. In that case use @owner parameter to specify the owner name.'
        PRINT 'Make sure you have SELECT permission on that table or view.'
        RETURN -1 --Failure. Reason: There is no user table or view with this name  
       END
     END
    --Variable declarations
    DECLARE  @Column_ID int,   
      @Column_List varchar(8000), 
      @Column_Name varchar(128), 
      @Start_Insert varchar(786), 
      @Data_Type varchar(128), 
      @Actual_Values varchar(8000), --This is the string that will be finally executed to generate INSERT statements
      @IDN varchar(128)  --Will contain the IDENTITY column's name in the table
    --Variable Initialization
    SET @IDN = ''
    SET @Column_ID = 0
    SET @Column_Name = ''
    SET @Column_List = ''
    SET @Actual_Values = ''
    IF @owner IS NULL 
     BEGIN
      SET @Start_Insert = 'INSERT INTO ' + '[' + RTRIM(COALESCE(@target_table,@table_name)) + ']' 
     END
    ELSE
     BEGIN
      SET @Start_Insert = 'INSERT ' + '[' + LTRIM(RTRIM(@owner)) + '].' + '[' + RTRIM(COALESCE(@target_table,@table_name)) + ']'   
     END
    --To get the first column's ID
    SELECT @Column_ID = MIN(ORDINAL_POSITION)  
    FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS (NOLOCK) 
    WHERE  TABLE_NAME = @table_name AND

--Loop through all the columns of the table, to get the column names and their data types
    WHILE @Column_ID IS NOT NULL
     BEGIN
      SELECT  @Column_Name = QUOTENAME(COLUMN_NAME), 
      @Data_Type = DATA_TYPE 
      FROM  INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS (NOLOCK) 
      WHERE  ORDINAL_POSITION = @Column_ID AND 
      TABLE_NAME = @table_name AND

IF @cols_to_include IS NOT NULL --Selecting only user specified columns
      BEGIN
       IF CHARINDEX( '''' + SUBSTRING(@Column_Name,2,LEN(@Column_Name)-2) + '''',@cols_to_include) = 0 
       BEGIN
        GOTO SKIP_LOOP
       END
      END
      IF @cols_to_exclude IS NOT NULL --Selecting only user specified columns
      BEGIN
       IF CHARINDEX( '''' + SUBSTRING(@Column_Name,2,LEN(@Column_Name)-2) + '''',@cols_to_exclude) <> 0 
       BEGIN
        GOTO SKIP_LOOP
       END
      END
      --Making sure to output SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON/OFF in case the table has an IDENTITY column
      IF (SELECT COLUMNPROPERTY( OBJECT_ID(QUOTENAME(COALESCE(@owner,USER_NAME())) + '.' + @table_name),SUBSTRING(@Column_Name,2,LEN(@Column_Name) - 2),'IsIdentity')) = 1 
      BEGIN
       IF @ommit_identity = 0 --Determing whether to include or exclude the IDENTITY column
        SET @IDN = @Column_Name
       ELSE
        GOTO SKIP_LOOP   
      END

--Making sure whether to output computed columns or not
      IF @ommit_computed_cols = 1
      BEGIN
       IF (SELECT COLUMNPROPERTY( OBJECT_ID(QUOTENAME(COALESCE(@owner,USER_NAME())) + '.' + @table_name),SUBSTRING(@Column_Name,2,LEN(@Column_Name) - 2),'IsComputed')) = 1 
       BEGIN
        GOTO SKIP_LOOP     
       END
      END

--Tables with columns of IMAGE data type are not supported for obvious reasons
      IF(@Data_Type in ('image'))
       BEGIN
        IF (@ommit_images = 0)
         BEGIN
          RAISERROR('Tables with image columns are not supported.',16,1)
          PRINT 'Use @ommit_images = 1 parameter to generate INSERTs for the rest of the columns.'
          PRINT 'DO NOT ommit Column List in the INSERT statements. If you ommit column list using @include_column_list=0, the generated INSERTs will fail.'
          RETURN -1 --Failure. Reason: There is a column with image data type
         END
        ELSE
         BEGIN
         GOTO SKIP_LOOP
         END
       END
      --Determining the data type of the column and depending on the data type, the VALUES part of
      --the INSERT statement is generated. Care is taken to handle columns with NULL values. Also
      --making sure, not to lose any data from flot, real, money, smallmomey, datetime columns
      SET @Actual_Values = @Actual_Values  +
      CASE 
       WHEN @Data_Type IN ('char','varchar','nchar','nvarchar') 
        THEN 
         'COALESCE('''''''' + REPLACE(RTRIM(' + @Column_Name + '),'''''''','''''''''''')+'''''''',''NULL'')'
       WHEN @Data_Type IN ('datetime','smalldatetime') 
        THEN 
         'COALESCE('''''''' + RTRIM(CONVERT(char,' + @Column_Name + ',109))+'''''''',''NULL'')'
       WHEN @Data_Type IN ('uniqueidentifier') 
        THEN  
         'COALESCE('''''''' + REPLACE(CONVERT(char(255),RTRIM(' + @Column_Name + ')),'''''''','''''''''''')+'''''''',''NULL'')'
       WHEN @Data_Type IN ('text','ntext') 
        THEN  
         'COALESCE('''''''' + REPLACE(CONVERT(char(8000),' + @Column_Name + '),'''''''','''''''''''')+'''''''',''NULL'')'     
       WHEN @Data_Type IN ('binary','varbinary') 
        THEN  
         'COALESCE(RTRIM(CONVERT(char,' + 'CONVERT(int,' + @Column_Name + '))),''NULL'')'  
       WHEN @Data_Type IN ('timestamp','rowversion') 
        THEN  
         CASE 
          WHEN @include_timestamp = 0 
           THEN 
            '''DEFAULT''' 
           ELSE 
            'COALESCE(RTRIM(CONVERT(char,' + 'CONVERT(int,' + @Column_Name + '))),''NULL'')'  
         END
       WHEN @Data_Type IN ('float','real','money','smallmoney')
        THEN
         'COALESCE(LTRIM(RTRIM(' + 'CONVERT(char, ' +  @Column_Name  + ',2)' + ')),''NULL'')' 
       ELSE 
        'COALESCE(LTRIM(RTRIM(' + 'CONVERT(char, ' +  @Column_Name  + ')' + ')),''NULL'')' 
      END   + '+' +  ''',''' + ' + '

--Generating the column list for the INSERT statement
      SET @Column_List = @Column_List +  @Column_Name + ',' 
      SKIP_LOOP: --The label used in GOTO
      SELECT  @Column_ID = MIN(ORDINAL_POSITION) 
      FROM  INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS (NOLOCK) 
      WHERE  TABLE_NAME = @table_name AND 
      ORDINAL_POSITION > @Column_ID AND
     --Loop ends here!
     END
    --To get rid of the extra characters that got concatenated during the last run through the loop
    SET @Column_List = LEFT(@Column_List,len(@Column_List) - 1)
    SET @Actual_Values = LEFT(@Actual_Values,len(@Actual_Values) - 6)
    IF LTRIM(@Column_List) = '' 
     BEGIN
      RAISERROR('No columns to select. There should at least be one column to generate the output',16,1)
      RETURN -1 --Failure. Reason: Looks like all the columns are ommitted using the @cols_to_exclude parameter
     END
    --Forming the final string that will be executed, to output the INSERT statements
    IF (@include_column_list <> 0)
     BEGIN
      SET @Actual_Values = 
       'SELECT ' +  
       CASE WHEN @top IS NULL OR @top < 0 THEN '' ELSE ' TOP ' + LTRIM(STR(@top)) + ' ' END + 
       '''' + RTRIM(@Start_Insert) + 
       ' ''+' + '''(' + RTRIM(@Column_List) +  '''+' + ''')''' + 
       ' +''VALUES(''+ ' +  @Actual_Values  + '+'')''' + ' ' + 
       COALESCE(@from,' FROM ' + CASE WHEN @owner IS NULL THEN '' ELSE '[' + LTRIM(RTRIM(@owner)) + '].' END + '[' + rtrim(@table_name) + ']' + '(NOLOCK)')
     END
    ELSE IF (@include_column_list = 0)
     BEGIN
      SET @Actual_Values = 
       'SELECT ' + 
       CASE WHEN @top IS NULL OR @top < 0 THEN '' ELSE ' TOP ' + LTRIM(STR(@top)) + ' ' END + 
       '''' + RTRIM(@Start_Insert) + 
       ' '' +''VALUES(''+ ' +  @Actual_Values + '+'')''' + ' ' + 
       COALESCE(@from,' FROM ' + CASE WHEN @owner IS NULL THEN '' ELSE '[' + LTRIM(RTRIM(@owner)) + '].' END + '[' + rtrim(@table_name) + ']' + '(NOLOCK)')
     END 
    --Determining whether to ouput any debug information
    IF @debug_mode =1
     BEGIN
      PRINT '/*****START OF DEBUG INFORMATION*****'
      PRINT 'Beginning of the INSERT statement:'
      PRINT @Start_Insert
      PRINT ''
      PRINT 'The column list:'
      PRINT @Column_List
      PRINT ''
      PRINT 'The SELECT statement executed to generate the INSERTs'
      PRINT @Actual_Values
      PRINT ''
      PRINT '*****END OF DEBUG INFORMATION*****/'
      PRINT ''
     END

PRINT '--INSERTs generated by ''sp_generate_inserts'' stored procedure written by Vyas'
    PRINT '--Build number: 22'
    PRINT '--Problems/Suggestions? Contact Vyas @ vyaskn@hotmail.com'
    PRINT '--http://vyaskn.tripod.com'
    PRINT ''
    PRINT 'SET NOCOUNT ON'
    PRINT ''
    --Determining whether to print IDENTITY_INSERT or not
    IF (@IDN <> '')
     BEGIN
      PRINT 'SET IDENTITY_INSERT ' + QUOTENAME(COALESCE(@owner,USER_NAME())) + '.' + QUOTENAME(@table_name) + ' ON'
      PRINT 'GO'
      PRINT ''
     END
    IF @disable_constraints = 1 AND (OBJECT_ID(QUOTENAME(COALESCE(@owner,USER_NAME())) + '.' + @table_name, 'U') IS NOT NULL)
     BEGIN
      IF @owner IS NULL
       BEGIN
        SELECT  'ALTER TABLE ' + QUOTENAME(COALESCE(@target_table, @table_name)) + ' NOCHECK CONSTRAINT ALL' AS '--Code to disable constraints temporarily'
       END
      ELSE
       BEGIN
        SELECT  'ALTER TABLE ' + QUOTENAME(@owner) + '.' + QUOTENAME(COALESCE(@target_table, @table_name)) + ' NOCHECK CONSTRAINT ALL' AS '--Code to disable constraints temporarily'
       END
      PRINT 'GO'
     END
    PRINT ''
    PRINT 'PRINT ''Inserting values into ' + '[' + RTRIM(COALESCE(@target_table,@table_name)) + ']' + ''''
    --All the hard work pays off here!!! You'll get your INSERT statements, when the next line executes!
    EXEC (@Actual_Values)
    PRINT 'PRINT ''Done'''
    PRINT ''
    IF @disable_constraints = 1 AND (OBJECT_ID(QUOTENAME(COALESCE(@owner,USER_NAME())) + '.' + @table_name, 'U') IS NOT NULL)
     BEGIN
      IF @owner IS NULL
       BEGIN
        SELECT  'ALTER TABLE ' + QUOTENAME(COALESCE(@target_table, @table_name)) + ' CHECK CONSTRAINT ALL'  AS '--Code to enable the previously disabled constraints'
       END
      ELSE
       BEGIN
        SELECT  'ALTER TABLE ' + QUOTENAME(@owner) + '.' + QUOTENAME(COALESCE(@target_table, @table_name)) + ' CHECK CONSTRAINT ALL' AS '--Code to enable the previously disabled constraints'
       END
      PRINT 'GO'
     END
    PRINT ''
    IF (@IDN <> '')
     BEGIN
      PRINT 'SET IDENTITY_INSERT ' + QUOTENAME(COALESCE(@owner,USER_NAME())) + '.' + QUOTENAME(@table_name) + ' OFF'
      PRINT 'GO'
     END
    PRINT 'SET NOCOUNT OFF'
    SET NOCOUNT OFF
    RETURN 0 --Success. We are done!
    END
    GO
    PRINT 'Created the procedure'
    GO
    --Mark procedure as system object
    EXEC sys.sp_MS_marksystemobject sp_generate_inserts
    GO
    PRINT 'Granting EXECUTE permission on sp_generate_inserts to all users'
    GRANT EXEC ON sp_generate_inserts TO public
    SET NOCOUNT OFF
    GO
    PRINT 'Done'

• Why not fully qualify your table names?

• Sorry, I missed that link to SP text on 1st page.

There are too many flaws in that procedure.

For example, if table contains columns "Country" and "CountryCode" and "Country" is not in the list to be included but "CountryCode" is in that list it will match "Country" with part of "CountryCode" and include it into INSERT script.

@ListToInclude is obviously delimited string. And column names in it are not in quotes.

What if on of column names contains delimiter used for that list?

Not to mention loops, missing checks for existence, wrong treating of @owner, other issues, some of them are already mentioned here.

In fact list of issues in this SP is very long.

It's not designed properly and did not pass any reasonable testing.

As for me, best way to fix it is to rewrite it from scratch.

• Ah, my bad.

It's not there. I confused myself with OSQL parameters...

Still, the mainproblem seems to be scope.

I'll see if I get some time over soon to try it out on a 2005 box...

/Kenneth

• Kenneth,

Any luck I tried classifying the SP using 'use dbname' clause and dbname.dbo.tablename but wouldnt help.

Any suggestion/inputs would help.

Thanks

• Fooled around a bit with it on 2005, but...

Couldn't find a way to get the xp_cmdshell 'bcp ....exec dbname.dbo.proc' construct to work, so far I'm convinced it's a database context issue. bcp doesn't have a way to provide 'use db'.

Though, you want to produce a file, right?

You could use sqlcmd (or osql) to produce a similar output file as well, bcp isn't the only choice.

I did something like this (only tried in Management Studio, but..)

exec master..xp_cmdshell

'sqlcmd -E -dmyDb -SmyServer\myInstance -Q"exec SP_GENERATE_INSERTS myTable" -oc:\myTable.sql'

... and this works. At least so far that it lets you specify db context for the connection, and then call the proc without db.owner qualification from master.

Haven't figured out *why*, though...

If you decide to go with sqlcmd, just read up a bit in BOL on it. The mechanics behind how it connects are different if used from Management Studio editor window or from the commandline, so there may be different behaviours in the output due to (possibly) different default connection properties.

/Kenneth

• Kenneth,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried the following

exec master..xp_cmdshell

'sqlcmd -E -dVBAICMS_DEV -SNV-DEVSQL3\ASTRO -Q"exec SP_GENERATE_INSERTS ACM_CASE_TYP" -oc:\myTable.sql'

but it doesnt give any insert statments, below is the output from the mytable.sql

--INSERTs generated by 'sp_generate_inserts' stored procedure written

by Vyas

--Build number: 22

--Problems/Suggestions? Contact Vyas @ vyaskn@hotmail.com

--http://vyaskn.tripod.com

SET NOCOUNT ON

SET IDENTITY_INSERT [dbo].[ACM_CASE_TYP] ON

GO

PRINT 'Inserting values into [ACM_CASE_TYP]'

Any ideas why it is not writing the insert statements to a file.

Thanks

• Hmmm, no not really...

When I tried (which was on a simple numberstable), it wrote each row neatly in the file.

Could it be something with the identity?

Have you tried on a table without identity?

..lastly... are there any rows in the table or is it empty?

/Kenneth

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply