Backup and restore issue.

• All,

I am copy my databases from server A to server B by backup and restore.

since I want the process to be automated, I created a job on server A . to copy the bakup files from the nightly job of Server A using Xcopy form a batch file. the process is working and the files gets copied to the server B.

now I can simply write the restore script and run that as a job on server B.

the issue is .

the database files the of the naming convention databasename_2015_03_30_(some randon numbers,5192996).bak

to automate the process i want one of the two options.

- when xcopy copies the file to destination it will change the nae fo the file to simply databasename.bak

- or the restore script shoudl be able to pick the latest backup file in the folder base don the date/time.

Any help in appreciated.

Regards

• You can either pull in a directory listing for the folder that contains the backup and use that to determine the most recent, or you can query msdb on Server A to find out the most recent backup for a particular database.

John

• So I've used the following powershell script to copy the latest backup file from one folder to another:-

$H = (dir \\<SOURCE FILEPATH> *bak | sort -prop LastWriteTime | select -last 1).name

$H = "\\<SOURCE FILEPATH>\" + $H

copy-item $H <DESTINATION FILEPATH>

Does this help?

• Thanks DBA from the Cold.

I am new to Power shell but can give this a try. But copying the latest file is still being done by my Xcopy command, the problem is , than I have to go and manually change the restore script for the database restore.

Is there a way we can change the destination file name to simply datbase.bak. this was i don't have to make changes to destination file and process can be automated.

• Have a look in the detailed description section here:-

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh849793.aspx

Copy-item allows you to rename an item by using the destination parameter

• Another approach:

Share a folder between the machines for the backup, use a static backup file name that can be reused (with INIT) and optionally use a copy only backup if desired to not affect your normal backup chains. Schedule the backup on Prod before scheduling the restore on Test:

-- Prod DB Backup

BACKUP DATABASE [DBNameIE]

TO DISK = '\\TestSQL01\LogShipped_Backups\DBNameIE_full_CopyOnly.BAK'

WITH STATS = 25, INIT, COPY_ONLY,

DESCRIPTION = 'Copy_Only Backup for Automated Restore to TestSQL01.'

GO

--Test DB Restore

USE master

RESTORE DATABASE [DBNameIETST]

FROM DISK = '\\TestSQL01\LogShipped_Backups\DBNameIE_full_CopyOnly.BAK'

WITH STATS, REPLACE

--,MOVE 'DBNameIE_Data' TO 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.TestSQL01\MSSQL\Data\DBNameIETST.mdf',

--MOVE 'DBNameIE_Log' TO 'F:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.TestSQL01\MSSQL\Data\DBNameIETST_log.ldf'

GO

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply