Back from My Sabbatical

  • Comments posted to this topic are about the item Back from My Sabbatical

  • Welcome back, Steve!  Everything was very good and very well covered but it just wasn't the same without you.

    --Jeff Moden


    RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

    Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.


    Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

  • As Jeff said, all was well covered while you were away, but we missed you all the same! I'm glad you got your much needed break, but I'm even more glad that you're among SQL Family again!

  • Good to have you back dude. can you slap Grant around a bit, he keeps kicking my ass on XE vs profiler 🙂 he's almost converted me

    MVDBA

  • While you were out, Kendra made fun of your shirts.

  • we all made fun of your shirts

    I offered to have an auction for them

    MVDBA

  • Welcome back, Steve.  It's good that you had the time to get away from the day-to-day, but we missed you too.  Times like this do give you what the old song calls 'a foretaste of glory divine' but in a human setting.   I suppose we all have different thoughts on what our retirement days should be or are, but it's good for you to have a little time to get familiar with the thoughts and feeling that lie ahead.  Nearing the ten-year mark myself, I can say that my passion for working with data has never come close to tapering off.  On the contrary, there are still many things that I don't have time for.  Most days, unless other requirements keep me away, I probably still hit at least three or four hours at the computer, just for fun.  The joy is that if you want to, you can walk away for a bit.

    I have been fortunate that following retirement we relocated back to the place we left in 1985, and I have been privileged to re-connect with three folks and their spouses that I worked with in IT here at that time.  We're all retired now, and today my wife and I are having lunch with one of the ladies and her husband we knew those 35 years ago.

    I'm sitting at my desk in front of a wall of windows with my second cup of coffee ( first coffee was laying in bed) looking out at beautiful snow on pine trees and my bird feeder with morning visitors.

    Hang in there folks.  Life is good!

     

    I've never uploaded a file before, and if this is too large, feel free to delete it, but thought I'd share.  It's not a bad desk view, right?

    P1050555

     

    • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  skeleton567.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  skeleton567.

    Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

  • I think Steve's shirts are great.  On my first programming job we were still wearing white shirts and ties.  How times change.

    Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

  • Welcome back, Steve, seems to me like your sabbatical went by really quickly, so it's good to hear that it wasn't that way for you and that  you feel refreshed. Great to have you back!

    -- webrunner

    -------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

  • Welcome back, Steve. I've missed you. Although I'd like to say that Kathi, Kendra and Grant did a great job, while you were away.

    Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

  • Jeff Moden wrote:

    Welcome back, Steve!  Everything was very good and very well covered but it just wasn't the same without you.

    Glad to hear it. I was slightly worried, but I know Kathi does a great job.

  • Aaron N. Cutshall wrote:

    As Jeff said, all was well covered while you were away, but we missed you all the same! I'm glad you got your much needed break, but I'm even more glad that you're among SQL Family again!

    Thanks, Aaron. Good to be back

  • MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

    Good to have you back dude. can you slap Grant around a bit, he keeps kicking my ass on XE vs profiler 🙂 he's almost converted me

    I'll see what I can do

  • GeorgeCopeland wrote:

    While you were out, Kendra made fun of your shirts.

    I'm sure she did, but it's all from a place of jealousy.

  • skeleton567 wrote:

    Welcome back, Steve.  It's good that you had the time to get away from the day-to-day, but we missed you too.  Times like this do give you what the old song calls 'a foretaste of glory divine' but in a human setting.   I suppose we all have different thoughts on what our retirement days should be or are, but it's good for you to have a little time to get familiar with the thoughts and feeling that lie ahead.  Nearing the ten-year mark myself, I can say that my passion for working with data has never come close to tapering off.  On the contrary, there are still many things that I don't have time for.  Most days, unless other requirements keep me away, I probably still hit at least three or four hours at the computer, just for fun.  The joy is that if you want to, you can walk away for a bit.

     

    Thanks, Rick. I did think about you a bit as I was away, since I know you've experienced the retirement change. I was lucky enough myself to have the last four days look like this. No desk, but a nice break from the break of stuff around the house.

    20200223_165522_HDR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply