Away From SQL

• I like to snowmobile, play and watch basketball, read and watch movies!

Since my company relocated me from Michigan to Texas I have gone from riding my snowmobile  2000+ miles a year to about 200 miles a year (1 weekend a season). I probably should find a new hobby but I just can't get myself to sell the sled!

Its funny but I just can't find anyone in Fort Worth that likes to snowmobile

• Photography!  I like the great outdoors and photography is a great excuse to get there.  It's also as techie as you wanna be, which I like.  So I travel, hike, camp, canoe, backpack etc whenever possible to get the great shot.  My 1 year old son is also both pastime and photographic subject.

Before I became a Dad there was also music, I play bass guitar.  Now the basses are languishing unattended in a back room of the house, so sad, so lonely...

Travel when possible...I'd love to get back to Scotland, Italy.  Want to visit Thailand and 'down under' once my son is a bit older.

Woodworking (cabinet making) sometimes...sporadic at best.

• I just can't quite wean myself away from the keyboard.  What spare time I have is spent with digital photography and scrapbooking - any of my 8 cats being my subjects!

In the summer, we do spend a lot of time with our vegetable garden.

Regards,

Ronna Williams

• * Family stuff (world's greatest wife, Margie, and 4 wonderful kids)

* Church activities (http://www.newcovenantbible.org is our URL)

* Reading (but nowhere NEAR 100 per year, Steve ... wow!)

* Camping

* Geocaching

* Crossword puzzles / Sudoku

* A S T R O N O M Y (http://www.cedar-astronomers.org is our club)

* Fantasy Football (I won my first-ever league last year, sponsored by SSWUG, and am in the playoffs with the #1 seed this year)

* Buffalo Wild Wings :o)

* Going to movies the old-fashioned way (in the theatre)

* Listening to "commuter CDs," such as the Mars Hill Audio Journal (http://www.marshillaudio.org)

* A very occasional blog entry, for therapeutic purposes if nothing else

* Hang out with my friends

• Well like others might have mentioned I agree that we should all have lifes and other hobbies except computer science in general . For that reason I happen to read a lot , listen to music that doesn't insult my brain functions and my soul's needs , write poems whenever I feel to , travel whenever i have spare time and money to manage it and of course I try to communicate with people to know myself and others through this painfull , sometimes process!

• Model railroading!

• If I get a chance these days after work and the family and rebuilding the house, its motor bikes. Building/rebuilding/customising and designing...

New toys going to be all eletric if I can find a spare winter and some cash!

Sci fi books are great. Even the old classics (Asimov)

Role playing (don't shout geek) - been doing it weekly since the age of 16 and its great fun. Good chance to catch up, be someone else and eat junk food (my one splurge a week - although its stretched a long way this time!)

Like building things too but woodwork has a nasty habit of turning out wrong...welder keeps setting fire to the place?!

Excellent list Steve

• Okay, I have to ask. What the heck is role playing and what does junk food have to do with it? 

• Astronomy (http://www.seqas.org - still under development I'm afraid.)  Living in beautiful sub-tropical Brisbane, Australia, there's nothing beats a warm spring night watching the Universe go by.  Oh, and for our English friends re: cricket - you're only as good as your last series (cough cough Pakistan) .

• Oddly enough, writing. I write ministry materials for Children's Church and men's ministry for the church I serve as children's minister for (SouthEast Community Church in Columbia, SC). I also write poetry, mostly to decompress. Other than that, video games with my boys.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Video games, films, reading, and hanging out with my girlfriend and our dog!  Oh, I nearly forgot - this year I started to learn to play the drums, and after buying a Yamaha DTX kit I'm well on the way to becoming average!

I also love to build web sites.  I'm not really a graphic design person, so I like to use my VB and new .net skills to create asp.net web sites.  I'm currently working on building a suite of software to power 'community' web sites.  I'm looking to build a CMS, maybe a forum, poll software etc.  Something to make it easy for me to run an interactive site.  Although this sort of thing has already been done, building it myself is very rewarding and it keeps me off the streets at night.

• Apart from the usual running the home and parenting my two teenagers, Dinghy Sailing is our hobby. So much so that the main criteria for buying the new home had to be enough room to park seven boats each 13 to 14 foot long, as well as the cars and camper!!

It isn't just sitting there floating around, it takes some serious physical activity and we race at least once a week all year at various venues, both lake and sea, and have had to break the ice on the pond a few times.

One of the regular highlights is leaving work at 5p.m. on a lovely summer evening, driving ten minutes to the lake and being on the water half an hour later with a bunch of friends, having a competitive race and then a meal and social in the pub afterwards!

• Glad you asked Dale - if Jamie hadn't said "don't shout geek" (that threw me off even further...) I'd have hazarded any number of guesses - the top three being...

1) Local Shakespearian club

2) One day a week dedicated to letting one of the "other personalities" raging inside each of us a chance to get out there unrepressed and unsuppressed...

3) Dressing up to "be someone else"...Gulp - hope this is not it -

Have no clue, however, about "eating junk food" - unless it's tied in to one of the personalities (re: #2) craving junk food and being allowed to indulge unfettered once a week...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Anything not electronic.  Besides keeping books for my contractor husband and running two teenagers to activities, I enjoy anything outside - living in the great state of TN and only 1/1/5 hours from Gatlinburg and the NC ski resorts we (myself and family) spend many a weekend outside in casual activites - short hikes, mild bike rides (like biking Cades Cove and the Virginia Creeper Trail), skiing (although I usually drive and my son does the skiing), picknicking in the moutnains, visitng the historic sites in and around the Great Smokey Mountains, car rides down the blue ridge parkway, and Sunday afternoons in Dollywood or the waterpark.  All of these 'family' activies taken together could be considered my hobby - nothing extreme but all done outside.

I also love the creativeness of scrapbooking.  I haven't seen that on anyone elses list.  This one is truely mine and shared not with my family, but my girlfriends.

• Could be Dungeons and Dragons type of role playing. If my son's participation in this with his friends is any indication, then junk food is an integral part of the festivities.

Bob
    SuccessWare Software

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply