Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (3/5/2010)

Okay denizens, looking for ideas and suggestions here.

Thanks.

Posted there. Amazingly my mind worked and recalled a blog post I read a few weeks ago that might apply.

• Had same thing some time back. Turned out to be a side-effect of the anti-DoS features added in, i think, a service pack of Win server 2003. Details fail me, google should succeed there

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Can somebody check this thread out? I think it is corrupted index. I do not want to give any bad advice.

-Roy

• GilaMonster (3/5/2010)

Had same thing some time back. Turned out to be a side-effect of the anti-DoS features added in, i think, a service pack of Win server 2003. Details fail me, google should succeed there

Must not be asking the correct question, not finding anything relavent. If you should remember any additional details, I'd appreciate hearing more. Don't know yourself out on it, with the info from Jack, we have a starting place already.

Thanks.

• I'll look. This was a few years ago though...

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I find using google and the Microsoft Knowledge Base quite the same. It is an art to find what you are looking for quickly.

I'd spend hours looking in the Microsoft KB for something and find nothing. Go to a co-worker, tell him what I was looking for and in about five minutes he have three or four related articles regarding the issue/problem I was working on.

It's a Dark Art I tell you, a Dark Art! :w00t:

• Here you go

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324270

On Server 2003 RTM, the setting for SynAttackProtect is 0. With SP1 it was changed to 1.

iirc, that's the one that we had to change back to 0.

Be careful, obviously, these are security settings. If the SQL box is web-facing, probably a bad idea. If it's internal and protected by firewalls, if may eb sae to do so.

Google search terms: "Server 2003" network stack "Denial of service"

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (3/5/2010)

Here you go

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324270

On Server 2003 RTM, the setting for SynAttackProtect is 0. With SP1 it was changed to 1.

iirc, that's the one that we had to change back to 0.

Be careful, obviously, these are security settings. If the SQL box is web-facing, probably a bad idea. If it's internal and protected by firewalls, if may eb sae to do so.

Google search terms: "Server 2003" network stack "Denial of service"

That was fast. Thanks. And see, you have to know what question to ask, and I obiously didn't.

We are going to disable TCP Offloading on the SQL Server systems and see how that goes. I will keep this info in a safe place just in case it doesn't help.

• Ran across an interesting article while working through my rss reader

http://lifehacker.com/5486247/learning-just-in-case-versus-just-in-time

You can't decide to lean about something when you need it if you don't know it exists, but at the same time, you can't learn everything about everything just in case you need it.

Think this this needs a blog post writing on it.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (3/5/2010)

Ran across an interesting article while working through my rss reader

http://lifehacker.com/5486247/learning-just-in-case-versus-just-in-time

You can't decide to lean about something when you need it if you don't know it exists, but at the same time, you can't learn everything about everything just in case you need it.

Think this this needs a blog post writing on it.

Vewy intwestin.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Thanks Gail for jumping into that thread.. 🙂

-Roy

• Lynn,

You have 9841 posts (which doesn't include QOD points, etc)... Only 159 more to be only the 4th person (not including Steve) in the history of SSC to break the 10k barrier. 🙂 Heh... try not to do it all on "the thread". 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi Jeff,

Thanks,

Follow your suggestion.

Very glad to explained in both the versions.

😀

• arun.sas (3/5/2010)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks,

Follow your suggestion.

Very glad to explained in both the versions.

😀

You bet, Arun. Thanks for the heads up on that post.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi Jeff,

You are good,

“You are not responsible for what people think about you,

But you are responsible for what you give them to think about you” – Stanley Ferrard.

Viewing 15 posts - 12,241 through 12,255 (of 66,636 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply