Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

So I'm updating my internal-to-the-business resume and I'm trying to figure out the best way to spell out "one-stop shop" without actually using those words. How else, in formal / resume terms, would one refer to a place where the DBAs do everything from security to backups to development to reporting to BI work to general administration (non-production and production) and deployment?

Thoughts on the best way to phrase this would be appreciated.

Something like

"Providing solutions to all levels of problems within both data and business intelligence domains."

😎

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

I've always been concerned but, as I get older, I seriously worry about the medical world and hospitals and the people in them when I see things like the following...

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/conditional-sum-in-sql

That's nothing. Talk to Tim Ford sometime about all the crap he used to go through at hospitals. It's amazing we don't all die the moment we set foot in them.

Heh... there was one time where I thought I was having a heart-attack.  It was actually a pre-cursor to the AFIB I currently "enjoy".  I was admitted.  One of the first things that happened when I got to my room was they took my blood pressure.  I asked what it was... 90-60 and a pulse rate of 58.  Cool... I always had that going for me even though I had been smoking for decades (which a gave up a year ago as of 4/29/2021).  Then, the nurse handed be a cup with a few pills in it.  I asked her to explain what they were.  The last one was to <insert drum roll here> "lower your blood pressure".

She couldn't understand why I refused to take that one. 🙁

So, like you said, Grant...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff, I've been off this site for several years, came back today to check whether the thread for "are the posted questions getting worse?" was still alive and kicking.  14 years and 4,400 pages later, it is!

Saw you mention that you've been tobacco free for a year and I just wanted to say:  CONGRATULATIONS!!  No tar for Mr. RBAR!!

Rich Mechaber

• @jeff Moden

I have a fiber outage at the moment, so was unable to catch your Group By session on GUIDS V.S. FRAGMENTATION last night.

Is there perhaps a recording of your session available?

• Jeff. Your ears should be burning. I've had a few conversations about you & fragmentation over here in Belgium with a bunch of people. Happy to hear you've stopped smoking. Keep it up!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Jeff. Your ears should be burning. I've had a few conversations about you & fragmentation over here in Belgium with a bunch of people. Happy to hear you've stopped smoking. Keep it up!

Heh... man, I wish I was a fly on the wall for that one.  Do you still have my email address?  If not, lemme know and I'll PM it to you.  I'd love to hear that bit o' scuttlebutt.  My recent presentations on fragmentation have been quite heterodoxical, to say the least and I'm always interested in any feedback on that or discussion on fragmentation and Index Maintenance.

I do miss smoking... like I used to say, "smoking prevented 'fuming'".  It also gave me an excuse to go outside and soak up some Vitamin D.  I'm going to have to set an alarm and get outside more often.

How'd you like Belgium and the event in this nearly post-pandemic world?  Having been a smoker, I'm in a couple of groups that make it a seriously high risk for me to get on a sewer-pipe with end-caps and wings any time in the near future so I have to "live a bit vicariously through the joys and experiences of others".

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• DesNorton wrote:

@Jeff Moden

I have a fiber outage at the moment, so was unable to catch your Group By session on GUIDS V.S. FRAGMENTATION last night.

It takes the a couple of days to render it and separate it and add the occasional ad to it.  When it does come out, it'll be on the GROUPBY channel on YouTube located at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEHf_UKwG3GMkb9wIVBTeQA.  I also have a related email address listed in the presentation for a copy of the zip files (contains all the test code that supports my findings and a whole lot more that I didn't cover in the presentation as well as the slide deck and a copy of Sp_IndexDNA™ and the related spreadsheet).

And, just to be sure, I'm not going to spam anyone that uses the email or use it in any other way for any other reason.  I use it only to provide the zip file (if they don't attach the zip file) or if people have questions on the material.

I could attach it here but I have to get permission to do that because it's for a different organization.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

DesNorton wrote:

@Jeff Moden

It takes the a couple of days to render it and separate it and add the occasional ad to it.  When it does come out, it'll be on the GROUPBY channel on YouTube located at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEHf_UKwG3GMkb9wIVBTeQA.  I also have a related email address listed in the presentation for a copy of the zip files (contains all the test code that supports my findings and a whole lot more that I didn't cover in the presentation as well as the slide deck and a copy of Sp_IndexDNA™ and the related spreadsheet).

And, just to be sure, I'm not going to spam anyone that uses the email or use it in any other way for any other reason.  I use it only to provide the zip file (if they don't attach the zip file) or if people have questions on the material.

I could attach it here but I have to get permission to do that because it's for a different organization.

Thank you.  Will be keeping an eye open ....

• Jeff Moden wrote:

DesNorton wrote:

@Jeff Moden

Somehow I missed that you were presenting on this topic. I can't wait to see this as it is extremely relevant to some "fun" I am dealing with currently. I will keep checking the youtube channel. Expect to see me on your email list for the supporting info as soon as that becomes available.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Is anyone using Idera's SQL Compliance Manager, or something similar?  Auditing requests from our clients is becoming a hot topic.  Some of these are kind of ridiculous, but hey, the customer's always right.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John wrote:

Is anyone using Idera's SQL Compliance Manager, or something similar?  Auditing requests from our clients is becoming a hot topic.  Some of these are kind of ridiculous, but hey, the customer's always right.

I used it years ago and was happy with it. They probably have a free trial period so you can try it out.

• Michael L John wrote:

Is anyone using Idera's SQL Compliance Manager, or something similar?  Auditing requests from our clients is becoming a hot topic.  Some of these are kind of ridiculous, but hey, the customer's always right.

Ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder, or in many cases - the lawmaker. In the insurance industry, there are so many federal and state regulations regarding auditing that it does kind of feel ridiculous to those who don't know why the requests are being made.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Jeff. Your ears should be burning. I've had a few conversations about you & fragmentation over here in Belgium with a bunch of people. Happy to hear you've stopped smoking. Keep it up!

Heh... man, I wish I was a fly on the wall for that one.  Do you still have my email address?  If not, lemme know and I'll PM it to you.  I'd love to hear that bit o' scuttlebutt.  My recent presentations on fragmentation have been quite heterodoxical, to say the least and I'm always interested in any feedback on that or discussion on fragmentation and Index Maintenance.

At this point, I don't remember the details. Everything is a blur. However, it was all positive on my end, and the usual shock on theirs. Ha!

I do miss smoking... like I used to say, "smoking prevented 'fuming'".  It also gave me an excuse to go outside and soak up some Vitamin D.  I'm going to have to set an alarm and get outside more often.

How'd you like Belgium and the event in this nearly post-pandemic world?  Having been a smoker, I'm in a couple of groups that make it a seriously high risk for me to get on a sewer-pipe with end-caps and wings any time in the near future so I have to "live a bit vicariously through the joys and experiences of others".

Completely depends on the event and the country. However, I've been to a bunch of great events and I'm seeing tons of old friends and making a few new ones. It's been great. Travel has lightened up. Getting back into the states still requires a test. However, overall, it's pretty much back to pre-pandemic... mostly.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Belgium was fantastic and we enjoyed a weekend that felt 2019-normal in Brussels and Bruge. The event in Antwerp was 1500 ish people, mostly normal. A few wearing masks, with everyone just getting along, being polite, talking SQL and enjoying the time.

• Thanks for the feedback Grant and Steve!  I really appreciate it.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 65,986 through 66,000 (of 66,564 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply