Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I guess I don't have it so bad now.  Back in the 90's as a mainframe programmer we had to account for all 8 hours every day.  Even though we all had two  15 minute breaks each day(and everybody took them back then).  So everyone had to record 0.50 hours for Misc/Breaks each day.

Now we keep track of our time with JIRA, but they know we can't really account for all 8 hours, so as long as we record 6 hours per day on projects we are OK.

The 6 month or yearly reviews are what I think are a huge waste of time.  As I said we record everything in JIRA, so you know what I've been working on.  We have almost daily scrums with my manager.  And one-on-one's with my manager almost monthly as well.

So to make me take the time to fill out an HR system everything I did within the review time seems ridiculous.  I think my manager an I will know well before a review if I'm not doing what's expected of me.   Just my two cents.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Time tracking has nothing to do with productivity.

its actually counterproductive. Eventually it leaves the company with those developers who produce best time sheets, not the best product.

imagine a team assigned to a product who normally resolve a dozen tickets from their customers. They work hard, keep their records straight, processes in place. All good, everybody's got rewarded.

Another team, assigned to another product, spends their days producing, how they name it, creative approaches to the product design. Because their customers don't produce tickets.

The second project does produce the same kind of revenue the first one does. But there is no visible support work to put against that revenue.

Now, when it comes to a review, guess who's gonna be the first candidate(s) for redundancy?

Of course, there are exceptions for the rule, but the don't define the trend. And the trend is - the time managent system as a system eliminates the best workers and awards the least valuable ones.

• Sergiy wrote:

Eventually it leaves the company with those developers who produce best time sheets, not the best product.

Man, you said a mouthful there and I've seen it happen at more than one company.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Unfortunately I believe that most places don't even bother to go over our time tracking reports.  Few years ago my brother worked in a big company and made a bet with other employees.  He claimed that the damagment only checks the hours that they reported without checking what they did during those hours because all they care about is that the amount of hours that they reported is at least as the amount of hours that they should have worked during that month.  He won the bet after for a whole week he reported detailed list of hours, but in the description he just wrote phrases from the Bible instead of describing his work.  No one asked him about his report.  I told him that I think that no one won, because the damagment probably didn't even check the hours and didn't even look at those reports.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Adi Cohn.
  • That’s the case where everybody wins.

Bad implementation of stupid policy cancels all its disadvantages.

yes, there is still an overhead of all the resources spent on supporting that policy - but it’s a really small price to pay for avoiding all the damage from that policy being vigorously followed.

• Adi Cohn wrote:

damagment

Heh... I love it and had a good laugh.  Thanks, Adi.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Got an email from Degreed.com giving me recommendations for virtual training and … well, apparently there are urgent SQL courses I need to take today and ...

Well, what do you think of their recommendations?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• You've must have exhausted all other options. Maybe they have a six figure salary job opening

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Got an email from Degreed.com giving me recommendations for virtual training and … well, apparently there are urgent SQL courses I need to take today and ...

If some companies have legacy systems they can't upgrade for one reason or another, maybe SQL 2005 knowledge is in high demand?  Might not hurt to learn VB6 at the same time!

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Got an email from Degreed.com giving me recommendations for virtual training and … well, apparently there are urgent SQL courses I need to take today and ...

Uhm...

I'd personally take a pretty hard pass on that.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Well. SQL 2005 is something you may need a refresher course in.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Lordy... CodeProject just published a very interesting AI incident.  Here's the link they published.  Pretty spooky and seriously concerning stuff, IMHO.  Watch your kids, folks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59810383

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Lordy... CodeProject just published a very interesting AI incident.  Here's the link they published.  Pretty spooky and seriously concerning stuff, IMHO.  Watch your kids, folks.

Yeah, if you read about this, it came from TikTok.  That’s not app I won’t use, and have banned from my kids phones and laptops.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Lordy... CodeProject just published a very interesting AI incident.  Here's the link they published.  Pretty spooky and seriously concerning stuff, IMHO.  Watch your kids, folks.

Yeah, if you read about this, it came from TikTok.  That’s not app I won’t use, and have banned from my kids phones and laptops.

It's interesting how the 10 year old girl is smarter than all those people making these challenges.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications when someone responds to a post I am subscribed to. Is it me, or is this affecting others?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 65,821 through 65,835 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply