Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Barry Prosps wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

ZZartin wrote:

I had someone ask me how many a couple was this morning, it was just one of those weird moments where I assumed that was just standard knowledge but the person had no idea.

Heh... I have a couple of ideas about that. 😀

This post was removed as spam

Wow, what a way to respond to an obvious joke.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  Lynn Pettis.
  • Lynn Pettis wrote:

Off topic much?  A couple is 2 and a few is 3 and more than a few is 5 but 4 is just four.  Imo of course 🙂

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Steve Collins wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Off topic much?  A couple is 2 and a few is 3 and more than a few is 5 but 4 is just four.  Imo of course 🙂

I was off topic??

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

I was off topic??

The other comment.  Your comment was very on topic 🙂

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Steve Collins wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

I was off topic??

The other comment.  Your comment was very on topic 🙂

Okay. You had only quoted my comment and that threw me off for a bit.

Thank you.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

<sigh>

So I post a comment over at DBA Stack Exchange, because I know what I'm posting isn't an answer. I get dinged for it because it almost reads like an answer, so I should post it as an answer.

Too many rules.

Too many moderators trying to collect points or 3 pointing the stripes on their sleeves (you know what that means being Ex-Nav yourself) is the real problem on those "flavor" of sites.

Dinged? Hey Grant, I just asked you politely not to post answer-type content in comments, but to put it in an answer instead. I pointed you to our meta policy discussion on the issue in case you were interested in learning why we want people to do that. People who only occasionally post on Stack Exchange aren't always fully aware of the local norms, and may be used to a different style.

You replied, "Sorry @PaulWhite. I really didn't feel like that was a valid answer to the question. Apologies.". It seems that response was not fully genuine, based on your comment here. You have several ways open to you to contact me publicly or privately. I had no idea you were so upset.

Jeff, I'm not about points (I give most of mine away) or "3 pointing stripes", whatever that means. Somewhat like yous here, I donate my time to help people and to improve the whole-of-life usefulness of the resource I choose to contribute to. Yes there are rules, but we try to keep them to a minimum and they exist for what we think are good reasons. You may disagree, and that's fine.

• Paul White wrote:

Jeff, I'm not about points (I give most of mine away) or "3 pointing stripes", whatever that means. Somewhat like yous here, I donate my time to help people and to improve the whole-of-life usefulness of the resource I choose to contribute to. Yes there are rules, but we try to keep them to a minimum and they exist for what we think are good reasons. You may disagree, and that's fine.

Hi Paul,

It's unfortunate that when talking about general perceptions, the exceptions are usually left out.  I've not seen all of your edits or comments/suggestions and I've not see the one Grant is speaking of but, for those that I have seen, you've been a welcome exception.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Paul White wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

<sigh>

So I post a comment over at DBA Stack Exchange, because I know what I'm posting isn't an answer. I get dinged for it because it almost reads like an answer, so I should post it as an answer.

Too many rules.

Too many moderators trying to collect points or 3 pointing the stripes on their sleeves (you know what that means being Ex-Nav yourself) is the real problem on those "flavor" of sites.

Dinged? Hey Grant, I just asked you politely not to post answer-type content in comments, but to put it in an answer instead. I pointed you to our meta policy discussion on the issue in case you were interested in learning why we want people to do that. People who only occasionally post on Stack Exchange aren't always fully aware of the local norms, and may be used to a different style.

You replied, "Sorry @PaulWhite. I really didn't feel like that was a valid answer to the question. Apologies.". It seems that response was not fully genuine, based on your comment here. You have several ways open to you to contact me publicly or privately. I had no idea you were so upset.

PAULL!!!

Dude, not in any way upset. I honestly didn't think it was a good answer. I thought it only belonged in the comments. Really. I'm sure sorry if I've come off against you in some way. I apologize. Happy to do it more publicly if you like. Truly. I'm sorry.

That said, I do get dinged over there a lot. There are a lot of rules.

Regardless, I'm straight up sorry.

BTW, great to type at you.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hey Grant,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not upset (was just a bit surprised) and glad you aren't either. No harm done on either side then.

Looking back at the DBA thread, I see I deleted both my comment and your reply to it because their job was done. You were right about your original comment not belonging in an answer, so I left it be at the time. It's still there.

No need for the tweet, please feel free to delete it ??

Cheers,

Paul

• Paul White wrote:

Hey Grant,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not upset (was just a bit surprised) and glad you aren't either. No harm done on either side then.

Looking back at the DBA thread, I see I deleted both my comment and your reply to it because their job was done. You were right about your original comment not belonging in an answer, so I left it be at the time. It's still there.

No need for the tweet, please feel free to delete it ??

Cheers,

Paul

Nah, let's leave it as an example to others. It's actually possible to be wrong and apologize for it. Neither seem to kill a person.

Thanks for the understanding.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Just in case any of you use Twitch... it's been hacked.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/6/22712250/twitch-hack-leak-data-streamer-revenue-steam-competitor

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• My son uses that for his live gaming feeds.  It has given me the willies from day one

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• I tried it for a time to see if there was more or better engagement versus Youtube. Kind of sucked actually.

In other news "Oh no, my moribund Twitch account (which has a different login than I use in any other service and doesn't connect to anything) has been hacked."

For gamers though, a lot of unhappy people.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• It must be Friday, and I must be tired.

We have a few Azure SQL databases in an Elastic Pool. Not a managed instance.

I have to execute scripts on all of the databases (there are 40 of them), and it's tedious to do one at a time with SSRS.

So, PowerShell to the rescue!  Well it won't work with MFA.  Which was hours of google-fu and trial and error.

But.  We do not need MFA with any machine on our internal network.  I have this utility machine on the internal network that I use for cases such as this.  DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

4:06 PM Friday.  Kids are going to granny's for the weekend.  It must be time to stop working and start relaxing.

Michael L John

• Some days I want to be the "Data Nazi", just like the soup nazi on Seinfeld. "No data for you!"

Michael L John

Viewing 15 posts - 65,761 through 65,775 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply