Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Regarding the accidental DBA, has no one seriously running into the anti-virus scanning issue? The more he posts, the more I'm convinced one of his servers is scanning the db files. Yet no one, not even him, has responded to my post on the issue.

Unless my post really didn't show up on that thread, but then if not, why am I suddenly subscribed to the chain?

I did see your post, haven't had time to respond yet, tend to treat antivirus with other running processes on the servers πŸ˜‰

😎

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Regarding the accidental DBA, has no one seriously running into the anti-virus scanning issue? The more he posts, the more I'm convinced one of his servers is scanning the db files. Yet no one, not even him, has responded to my post on the issue.

Unless my post really didn't show up on that thread, but then if not, why am I suddenly subscribed to the chain?

What's the link to the post?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Having a bit of a tough time yesterday and today remembering a good long distance friend and SQL heavy hitter.Β  It's hard to believe that it's been 5 years already.Β  He was 6 years younger than me.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Having a bit of a tough time yesterday and today remembering a good long distance friend and SQL heavy hitter.Β  It's hard to believe that it's been 5 years already.Β  He was 6 years younger than me.

It is hard to put down in words, and in a way, hard to get to the grips of it five years on, RIP Dwain, you will always be missed!

😎

• Found out the other week, we're likely to be working from home to the end of June 2021...

So I splurged and bought myself a new, more adjustable desk chair than my existing chair.Β  Been using the new chair now for a week and a bit, and I'm happy with the splurge (Hey, a nearly $900 desk chair is a SPLURGE)

Other than that, I'm REALLY starting to miss face-to-face human interaction, the cats just don't fill in that gap and the wife doesn't count...

• Wow, I love my $350 Secret Lab one. Not sure I'd have spent that much, but hope it's a great chair.

I completely miss human interaction and sitting somewhere out side my house or car for a meal.

• I guess I'm an odd ol' duck.Β  I don't need or even want F2F interaction with humans unless it's on a pool table in my favorite bar and that's not going to happen for a while.Β  I'm "Lovin' the lockdown" and I wish some of the folks both at work and in private would realize that some of us don't actually like the "reindeer games" nor the "motherly advice" they insist on engaging us in to the point of being nauseating and seriously unwanted.

Like the T-Shirt says, "Old men aren't hard of hearing... we're tired of listening". πŸ˜€

Now, if I could just get my neighbor to take down the devil's annoyance known as wind chimes.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• jasona.work wrote:

Found out the other week, we're likely to be working from home to the end of June 2021...

So I splurged and bought myself a new, more adjustable desk chair than my existing chair.Β  Been using the new chair now for a week and a bit, and I'm happy with the splurge (Hey, a nearly $900 desk chair is a SPLURGE)

Other than that, I'm REALLY starting to miss face-to-face human interaction, the cats just don't fill in that gap and the wife doesn't count...

I suspect we'll be at home until that sort of time too.Β  When things eased a little here (read the tip re-opened) we cleared out the back room and got a couple of tables for me to work on and Mrs B. to set up her sewing machines.Β  I haven't really got room in here for an office chair but it's not too bad on a kitchen chair.Β  Yes, I miss a bit of human interaction but I don't miss the two hour round trip to work and back.Β  It's not even that far as the crow flies, just a pig to get to from where I am.

I am loving converting petrol money into basses though.Β  It may go some way to explaining why there's not enough room for an office chair; or funds come to that.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Allstate made the decision months ago that we're WFH until the end of July. Because they were already moving in the direction of "all IT people should work from home to save office space for everyone else" they're thinking of making the decision permanent for us. And possibly more.

Initiall, it was just a incremental move. Then pandemic and they're doing it whole hog.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I guess I'm an odd ol' duck.Β  I don't need or even want F2F interaction with humans unless it's on a pool table in my favorite bar and that's not going to happen for a while.Β  I'm "Lovin' the lockdown" and I wish some of the folks both at work and in private would realize that some of us don't actually like the "reindeer games" nor the "motherly advice" they insist on engaging us in to the point of being nauseating and seriously unwanted.

Like the T-Shirt says, "Old men aren't hard of hearing... we're tired of listening". πŸ˜€

Now, if I could just get my neighbor to take down the devil's annoyance known as wind chimes.

I'm with you, Jeff. I've missed very little about the office since last March. Having two monitors is one of them, which I am about to rectify.

Sometimes, problems and ideas can be resolved best over a Teams chat, and that works and is sufficient for me.

I sympathise with new starters and junior members of staff though, it must be very difficult for them.

I have a superb pair of active noise cancelling headphones, for those pneumatic-drill-outside-the-window sessions.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• We've been using Teams for a lot of communication, but sometimes it's nice to get up and walk over to someones' desk, or turn the chair to chat with them.

One of the things I'll miss back in the office (someday, maybe) will be access to my personal PC and homelab setup, though.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

I guess I'm an odd ol' duck.Β  I don't need or even want F2F interaction with humans unless it's on a pool table in my favorite bar and that's not going to happen for a while.Β  I'm "Lovin' the lockdown" and I wish some of the folks both at work and in private would realize that some of us don't actually like the "reindeer games" nor the "motherly advice" they insist on engaging us in to the point of being nauseating and seriously unwanted.

I'm with you, Jeff. I've missed very little about the office since last March. Having two monitors is one of them, which I am about to rectify.

Sometimes, problems and ideas can be resolved best over a Teams chat, and that works and is sufficient for me.

I sympathise with new starters and junior members of staff though, it must be very difficult for them.

I have a superb pair of active noise cancelling headphones, for those pneumatic-drill-outside-the-window sessions.

Can you hook the headphones up with the amp so you can trickle the guitar whilst in an online meeting?

😎

Found that a good riff will get everyone's attention πŸ˜‰

• jasona.work wrote:

We've been using Teams for a lot of communication, but sometimes it's nice to get up and walk over to someones' desk, or turn the chair to chat with them.

One of the things I'll miss back in the office (someday, maybe) will be access to my personal PC and homelab setup, though.

That's why we have VPNs, Tunnels, Hidden under the desk routers, MiFi's, Mobile Hotspots, [name the protocol] over http/https etc.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

We've been using Teams for a lot of communication, but sometimes it's nice to get up and walk over to someones' desk, or turn the chair to chat with them.

That's why we have VPNs, Tunnels, Hidden under the desk routers, MiFi's, Mobile Hotspots, [name the protocol] over http/https etc.

😎

Yeah...

Locked down office network (and PCs) I'd have to bring in my personal laptop to do this and that would likely have questions be asked (followed by a "don't bring it back in here")

• jasona.work wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

😎

Yeah...

Locked down office network (and PCs) I'd have to bring in my personal laptop to do this and that would likely have questions be asked (followed by a "don't bring it back in here")

We all have our "Agent Smith" don't we Neo πŸ˜‰

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 65,266 through 65,280 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply