Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Heh... let the silliness continue.  I just got an email saying...

KILL 99.9% OF BACTERIA & HARMFUL MICROBES

FORMS A PROTECTIVE SHIELD THAT DELAYS GROWTH OF HARMFUL MICROBES ON INTERIOR SURFACES

Reg $129.95

2 Hour Service

That 0.1% it didn't kill is going to be kickass and you've just paid $129.95 to remove all of it's competition, good and bad. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Heh... let the silliness continue.  I just got an email saying...

FORMS A PROTECTIVE SHIELD THAT DELAYS GROWTH OF HARMFUL MICROBES ON INTERIOR SURFACES

Reg $129.95

2 Hour Service

That 0.1% it didn't kill is going to be kickass and you've just paid $129.95 to remove all of it's competition, good and bad. 😀

There's a product over here that claims to kill 99% or so of bacteria and viruses and I've always thought it's the 1% we need to worry about that are left.  If bleach won't kill it, run away.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton wrote:

There's a product over here that claims to kill 99% or so of bacteria and viruses and I've always thought it's the 1% we need to worry about that are left.  If bleach won't kill it, run away.

The manufacturers of that product then changed the advertising tag line to "Kills all known germs.  Dead."  Which always seemed a bit redundant, and also has a nice get-out clause...  "well, we didn't know about that germ when we tested it."

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• I love the "or so". Does that mean 99.99% or 90% or maybe 50%. I mean, so isn't exactly a precise measurement

• Neil Burton wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Reg $129.95

2 Hour Service

You need to ingest what's called a "Minimal infective dose (MID)" to get infected by bacteria. So the theory is if you kill 99.9% of them there is not enough left to cause infection.

• Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

Neil Burton wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Reg $129.95

2 Hour Service

You need to ingest what's called a "Minimal infective dose (MID)" to get infected by bacteria. So the theory is if you kill 99.9% of them there is not enough left to cause infection.

Yep... and there's a pretty good chance that if bleach doesn't kill a bug, you won't have to ingest much for it to "get you".  I understand the theory of MID but, as someone actually has in their signature line, "In theory, practice and theory are the same.  In practice, they are not". 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• stupid question time. when you guys deal with X12 spec files, is there a reasonable argument *against* loading them into tables named for loops/segments/ref numbers?

I get that they are variable files, not all loops contain all things all the time, but that's what NULL would be for....is there some sort of referential integrity that PREVENTS such a method that I'm not thinking of?

I tire of not being able to find something or having to dig through the raw data because nobody thought we would need something

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

stupid question time. when you guys deal with X12 spec files, is there a reasonable argument *against* loading them into tables named for loops/segments/ref numbers?

I get that they are variable files, not all loops contain all things all the time, but that's what NULL would be for....is there some sort of referential integrity that PREVENTS such a method that I'm not thinking of?

I tire of not being able to find something or having to dig through the raw data because nobody thought we would need something

So this is the point where I embarrass myself by admitting I don't know what X12 files are. Never heard of them before this.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• EDI format files, 834 (Enrollment) , 820 (premiums) , 270/271 (verification files), 837 (claims remittance), etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Me neither, apparently EDI-files https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X12_Document_List

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

stupid question time. when you guys deal with X12 spec files, is there a reasonable argument *against* loading them into tables named for loops/segments/ref numbers?

If something needs to be searched or returned, then my feeling is the same as the one I have for XML, JSON, and a wealth of other database normalization sins... shred it, normalize it, store it as proper tables. Period.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

jonathan.crawford wrote:

If something needs to be searched or returned, then my feeling is the same as the one I have for XML, JSON, and a wealth of other database normalization sins... shred it, normalize it, store it as proper tables. Period.

I agree and it has been my approach for all of the EDI/ASN.1/XML/JSON/OOML and quite a few other formats,  if handling the information in a relational database, then shred and normalize.

😎

• Well, I *know* this enforced isolation is starting to get to me...

I keep finding myself starting to "retail therapy" on stuff I don't really need (as of this morning, I was contemplating putting RGB lighting in my home PC...  BLINKING LIGHTS for cryin' out loud that I'd probably leave off anyways!)

Been thinking about also getting a planer for the woodworking I do, although that's even a hard sell for myself as I don't do a lot of said woodworking.  Plus I've heard they're ridiculously loud and it'd be in the basement...

Anyone else running into this?

• I hear you Jason.

The number of times I have nearly bought a wood lathe (for which I have no space) over the past few weeks is the 12th parameter for dbbc_timewarp when asking for the data to be undeleted.  ??

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• I hear you Jason.

The number of times I have nearly bought a wood lathe (for which I have no space) over the past few weeks is the 12th parameter for dbbc_timewarp when asking for the data to be undeleted.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

Viewing 15 posts - 64,831 through 64,845 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply