Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jason A. Long wrote:

Snippets are your friend... Pretty much every new query I write starts off with 5 keystrokes... {ssff[tab]}...

I use the snippet like this, but I still now have to go up and fix columns after I've entered joins. It's a poor workflow.

• Sean Lange wrote:

I agree that doing a POST is a bit overkill for something like that. Must have been timing but it was quite strange. Might also be a good idea to add some style to the notification that it is flagged so it stands out.

Added a note here. Didn't realize that "REport" disappears if you click it. That's not great ergonomics.

• I use SQL Prompt at a previous employer, so I am quite familiar with it.

Snippets was one of the reasons that I requested SQL Prompt here.  Although, I edited the snippet for "ssf" instead of adding a new snippet "ssff".

I also missed being able to use initials of long names to shorten typing (especially with the ugly useless column names that I have to refer to in one of our databases).  One of the developers decided it would be cool (not practical, but cool nevertheless) to name the columns of the parsed tables in such a way that he could dynamically parse the column names to create the query to parse the raw table even though we were parsing a file with a standard layout that was not expected to change and, therefore, not need to be dynamically generated.  So we have column names like "a_0000__f_account_num__p_23_30".  Now I can type in "a0fan..." (or even just "an...") instead of having to "type a_0000__f_ac...".

I also really missed being able to run the current query using <SHIFT-F5>.

So glad that I have this installed now.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Oh boy.  We have a reporting group that has jumped into PowerBI in a big way.  Most of the data on the dashboards is refreshed from a semi-data warehouse.  But they get spreadsheets sent from some clients that needs to be read into PowerBI.

I get the frantic "the refreshes stopped working from spreadsheets" email.

I walk over to the users, and try to see how they are doing things.

The spreadsheets are on their LOCAL DRIVE, and the refreshes were scheduled when the PC was not plugged in or turned on.  Well, that may not work.

I am constantly reminded of the old Cheech and Chong routine, "Hey, I couldn't get you on the phone."  "I don't have a phone." "Maybe that's why I had trouble getting you."

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John wrote:

Oh boy. ...I get the frantic "the refreshes stopped working from spreadsheets" email. I walk over to the users, and try to see how they are doing things. The spreadsheets are on their LOCAL DRIVE, and the refreshes were scheduled when the PC was not plugged in or turned on.  Well, that may not work.

My Mom (who isn't a tech person) thought that Microsoft updates would come down to her laptop if it was plugged in, but the lid was closed. She thought because she didn't turn the laptop off, things would be fine. I had to explain the concept of a sleeping laptop to her and why she kept having performance problems when she was trying to play her games (because the updates were hitting her then).

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

My Mom (who isn't a tech person) thought that Microsoft updates would come down to her laptop if it was plugged in, but the lid was closed. She thought because she didn't turn the laptop off, things would be fine. I had to explain the concept of a sleeping laptop to her and why she kept having performance problems when she was trying to play her games (because the updates were hitting her then).

I suspect that the fact it had a huge uptime didn't help either.

I'm been trying to get the Girlfriend's mum to stop using her Windows 7 laptop for ages now (she got a Windows 10 one for her birthday in March last year), but she still refuses to swap as it "looks different", but will continue to complain her laptop is too slow. >_< I dread to think how out of date both of them are now, considering the Win 10 one probably hasn't been switched on in over a year. ??

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• drew.allen wrote:

So we have column names like "a_0000__f_account_num__p_23_30". 

Just shoot me.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thom A wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I suspect that the fact it had a huge uptime didn't help either. I'm been trying to get the Girlfriend's mum to stop using her Windows 7 laptop for ages now (she got a Windows 10 one for her birthday in March last year), but she still refuses to swap as it "looks different", but will continue to complain her laptop is too slow. >_< I dread to think how out of date both of them are now, considering the Win 10 one probably hasn't been switched on in over a year. ??

Don't get me started on my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. The time I uninstalled 8 different versions of OfficeWorks because her boyfriend was "really good with computers". I took away their 'sa' privs, but had to give it back, along with the "I will never support them ever again" because the sister-in-law was in tears because she couldn't install a new cat picture program (which had about 50 different viruses on it). Every so often, my wife still gets calls, but I won't help. It's too horrific and painful. I also stopped doing updates when we visit. I won't even look at it when I'm there. My son started doing updates, but then he started getting support calls from them. He's also stopped. It's bad.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Reminds me of a tech support run I did at the nuclear plant with my boss. A manager complained their PC wouldn't turn on. We walked over to the office, and my boss flips the light switch because it's dim. We walk to the desk, start the PC, check things, appears to work. Guy is assuring us it wouldn't turn on when he arrived. No worries, we go to leave, and he asks us to turn off the lights as the sun is rising and he wants to watch it.

We do and as we walk out the doorway, he yells back at us that the PC has died.

My boss turns around and flips the light switch again, do the same routine. It's working. This time, as we leave, my boss is looking at the reflection of the PC as he flips the switch. It dies as he does so. Apparently the light switch controlled the outlet the PC was plugged into. Guy never came in early before.

• Do you guys run EVERYTHING that goes into production through QA/UAT, or do you trust some users if they have a proven track record of high scores, and only check some portion of their work (until their scores on that portion dips)?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

Do you guys run EVERYTHING that goes into production through QA/UAT, or do you trust some users if they have a proven track record of high scores, and only check some portion of their work (until their scores on that portion dips)?

Gleefully, I don't really have production any more. When I did though, everything ran at least one test prior to production. Everything. However, I did automate some deployments so that they got all the way to production on their own. I did not eyeball all the code, just the test results.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• EVERYTHING that is not DBA monitoring related or SQL Server Agent job tweaks goes through UAT / QA.

We have two environments, UAT and QA. Some things go through both. Some things only go through one. Depends on the complexity and the need to verify that someone didn't force a fix in a non-production environment to ensure something installed correctly. IE, making sure the release steps are repeatable and non-environment specific.

Only when we're setting up DBA related processes that don't affect the actual transaction data do we allow stuff to go directly to production (Job failure monitor, disk space monitor, backups, etc.).

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Interesting, is it just me, or would anyone read that from the note on the latest version of What's new in SQL Server 2019 preview that although 2008(R2)  won't be at all supported by the time 2019 comes out, it will be supported by in place upgrades (just kinda of very difficult as neither share OS they are supported on):

While in-place upgrade from SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 is not blocked, there are no commonly supported Windows Operating system versions between them and SQL Server 2019.

Perhaps that means that Compatibility mode 100 will remain in the release client too. It's probably a good idea, in truth, there's still (far too) many people/organisations using SQL Server 2008 so making it so that they don't need a "stepping stone" version to get from 2008 to 2019 is likely a good idea.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• With the new SSC, everything is supposed to run through a dev/QA cycle before prod. We have PRs that require review before they get merged into a deployable spot.

However, we have in the past allowed some people (myself included) to make data changes on prod. Mostly because we don't have tooling for everything and onesy/twosey changes haven't been an issue. This also prevents the weirdness of branching and trying to determine where/what to merge. At times stuff gets merged from dev that might be in flight and we don't want to release the QA stuff yet until something is fixed.

I would allow some data changes, but not necessarily schema/index changes. That being said, if there are changes made, they need to be fed back to dev if they affect things. For most development, especially if I had data virtualization, like SQL Clone, I'd branch for a release, and then require a cycle for data changes that would be branch off release branch, make data fix (test in virtual db),then deploy.

• Thom A wrote:

Interesting, is it just me, or would anyone read that from the note on the latest version of What's new in SQL Server 2019 preview that although 2008(R2)  won't be at all supported by the time 2019 comes out, it will be supported by in place upgrades (just kinda of very difficult as neither share OS they are supported of ...

That was my understanding as well. Not sure I like it, but I understand because of the changes Windows has gone through.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,751 through 63,765 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply